The end of daylight savings time?

mikewof

mikewof
Kind of pointless now anyway. Other than the clocks on the microwave and oven, and a few old-timey rednecks such as myself who still wear a wristwatch, the world tends to get their time automatically updated from the Atomic Clock in Boulder, Colorado ... beamed to their cell phone, their computer, their television and their network provider via the internet. It's a bit darker today than yesterday? Turn on the lights. Kids have to wait in the dark for the schoolbus? Maybe they'll stay out of their parents' space when they get home and fall asleep early.

They could change the time every day at 2:30 am and the vast portion of the world wouldn't even notice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ishmael

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
Fuctifino
I'm absolutely in favour. Our province has been dithering, waiting for the rest of the time zone to make a decision. I grew up in Saskatchewan, which doesn't change time; time changing is a barbaric institution that I hate.

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
With the recent advent of electrical lighting, the need for farm toddlers to carry lanterns out to the barn to milk the cows before walking 2 miles up hill (in the snow) to the one room school house (And then 2 miles up hill back) at the end of the day so that they can collect the eggs from the hen house are over (for now).

I recall a particularly toothsome bartender at a little roadside gin joint back in the day, who was overjoyed that Dubya had extended the DST by a month or so at either end.... She was so happy that we were all going to get an extra hour of daylight every day, thanks to the beneficence of the President.

When I tried to explain to her that it wasn't actually an extra hour of light, just that it would be light later in the day, because the clocks had changed.... She refused to believe me. Her final comment was: "We have  an extra hour of sunlight because the President made it happen!".....

I haven't seen her in 15 years, but I'll bet you anything she voted for the loser guy..... If she didn't choke to death on a hot dog.

Mike G

Super Anarchist
Ventura County, CA
I'd say keep it at Daylight Savings time all year round, then go an EXTRA hour maybe in March, then back again in October-ish.

Wet Wednesdays Year round!

badlatitude

Super Anarchist
I don't know. This morning I woke at 5:00AM, and didn't see sunlight until close to 7AM. The thought of arriving to work while dark, and leaving from work while dark is depressing.

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
I don't know. This morning I woke at 5:00AM, and didn't see sunlight until close to 7AM. The thought of arriving to work while dark, and leaving from work while dark is depressing.
I suggest changing to the graveyard shift.

If it's really possible to do what my old bartender friend claims, then why not have it be June 20th in Alaska all year long? (Except that people like me who need dark to sleep would shrivel up and die)

Monkey

Super Anarchist
I just appreciate that the universal hatred for daylight savings actually brought about a bipartisan agreement!  

badlatitude

Super Anarchist
I just appreciate that the universal hatred for daylight savings actually brought about a bipartisan agreement!  
But don't forget that it is actually up to the states to decide if they want it or not.

Sol Rosenberg

Girthy Member
Earth
I'm for it 110% but I predict that the progressive caucus will burden it with an amendment to include something that anyone not in the progressive caucus would describe as a poison pill, which will then pass the House only to be killed in conference. It will be much like Delta House looking around the room at each other and saying "I think this situation requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!"... and someone replying "and we're just the guys to do it." 

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
Yeah - how about a compromise and settle on meeting in the middle. So what if the rest of the world is now wrong by 30 minutes, they should just suck it up and deal with it.   We're #1 !!!!!!!!!!!

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
I'm for it 110% but I predict that the progressive caucus will burden it with an amendment to include something that anyone not in the progressive caucus would describe as a poison pill, which will then pass the House only to be killed in conference. It will be much like Delta House looking around the room at each other and saying "I think this situation requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!"... and someone replying "and we're just the guys to do it." 
Yeah, it will be something like "Get rid of daylight saving time and make 1st graders write an essay on the oppression of the clitoris" or something :rolleyes:

badlatitude

Super Anarchist
The time California changed it, then changed it back.

The year Daylight Saving Time went too far 

By Susan Steade | [email protected] | Bay Area News Group 
PUBLISHED: October 30, 2016 at 7:38 a.m. | UPDATED: November 7, 2018 at 11:17 a.m. 

The 7 a.m. darkness in the last days before springing forward put us in mind of a historical footnote: the year of unending Daylight Saving Time. Or at least that was how it was supposed to be. 

It was 1974, and the energy crisis was cutting into the American way of life, with odd-even gas rationing, a national speed limit and shortened Nascar races. The Emergency Daylight Saving Time Act signed by President Nixon dictated that clocks would spring forward one hour on Jan. 6 — and stay that way for almost 16 months, until April 27, 1975. 

Students wait for a schoolbus at 7:35 a.m. in Astoria, Queens, during the daylight savings experiment. (Getty Images) 

By fall, the dark mornings were apparently wearing on the American people. Proclaiming “it’s for the children” — those scholars standing at bus stops in the predawn — lawmakers threw in the towel of gloom. Year-round DST was scrapped, and on Oct. 27, clocks fell back. 

But there’s no way to stop the Earth from tilting, and — in 1974 as in all years — most of the morning daylight gain was gone within weeks. The 1974 experiment was but one of the federal revisions of Daylight Saving Time in the past 50 years. 

(snip) 

https://www.mercurynews.com/2016/10/30/the-year-daylight-saving-time-went-too-far/

valis

Super Anarchist
Friday Harbor, WA
I don't care if they choose standard or daylight time -- just pick one and stick with it.  One TZ works great in Hawaii, OK in California, and well enough in Washington.  If I lived in Alaska I might feel differently.  I know this is a USA Congress thing, but when I am in Finland the daylight hours shift so much that Daylight Savings Time is pretty irrelevant. 

And Mike, it's not the setting of the clocks; my wristwatch and car clocks are the only ones I have to set, no big deal, and I don't care what the microwave clock says, but it's the one-hour shift in alarm-clock waking-up time that is a pain.