The Flash Crash

NoStrings

Super Anarchist
Richmond, CA
Flash went by me under power while I was out paddling. She looked fine, everything in one piece and I didn't notice any damage on the port side anyway. I think the W.L. got the brunt of it.

Pete M

Super Anarchist
So Cal
apparently flash wiped out the top deck of little willie - a windshield and wind instruments lost

rumors of damage to the flash boom

beauvrolyk

Super Anarchist
My post from Dingy Anarchy:

W.L. has lost her starboard flag pole, broken front window in the house, shattered cap rail on the bow, sprung bulwark starboard side amidships, anchor gone along with the rode, generally "battered".

TP52 Flash - 1 vs W.L. Stewart III - 0

I was on the Cressy at the other end of the 5O5 finish line and watched with some surprise as Flash headed downwind, gybed to stb with the port side runner still on, and rounded up in to the W.L. amidships. Pretty wild. R.C. gang were diving for cover as Flash's boom swept right over the W. L. and across the fly bridge when the runner was released. Flash's rudder (I think) hooked the anchor line as she rode over the bow of the W. L. John Craig saved the day by releasing the anchor line and freeing Flash. Up to that point Flash was headed right for Cressy towing the W. L. along at about 2 knots sideways. We on Cressy were anchored, with all chain (no way to cut it), and if John hadn't freed Flash she would have run right over us.

The gang on the W. L. say that people on Flash got really BIG EYES and started flogging the wheel back and forth. Seems the chain jumped the sprocket and there wasn't any way to steer. Keeping that runner tight certainly didn't help matters any.

So far as I know, no one was hurt and it didn't look like Flash had much damage. But, I'd certainly want to check those rudder bearings before BBS. Flash was really making tracks with the W.L. in tow, all being hauled along by the rudder, so far as I could see.

Fortunately, all this drama happened after the last 5O5 had finished. Ten minutes earlier and Flash would have collected a half dozen 5O5s as well.

--------------------

What the heck am I doing here? Why aren't I out sailing?

Pete M

Super Anarchist
So Cal
from poster BV from the 505 thread in DA

W.L. has lost her starboard flag pole, broken front window in the house, shattered cap rail on the bow, sprung bulwark starboard side amidships, anchor gone along with the rode, generally "battered".
TP52 Flash - 1 vs W.L. Stewart III - 0

I was on the Cressy at the other end of the 5O5 finish line and watched with some surprise as Flash headed downwind, gybed to stb with the port side runner still on, and rounded up in to the W.L. amidships. Pretty wild. R.C. gang were diving for cover as Flash's boom swept right over the W. L. and across the fly bridge when the runner was released. Flash's rudder (I think) hooked the anchor line as she rode over the bow of the W. L. John Craig saved the day by releasing the anchor line and freeing Flash. Up to that point Flash was headed right for Cressy towing the W. L. along at about 2 knots sideways. We on Cressy were anchored, with all chain (no way to cut it), and if John hadn't freed Flash she would have run right over us.

The gang on the W. L. say that people on Flash got really BIG EYES and started flogging the wheel back and forth. Seems the chain jumped the sprocket and there wasn't any way to steer. Keeping that runner tight certainly didn't help matters any.

So far as I know, no one was hurt and it didn't look like Flash had much damage. But, I'd certainly want to check those rudder bearings before BBS. Flash was really making tracks with the W.L. in tow, all being hauled along by the rudder, so far as I could see.

Fortunately, all this drama happened after the last 5O5 had finished. Ten minutes earlier and Flash would have collected a half dozen 5O5s as well.

Somebody Else

a person of little consequence
PNW
Did I miss where someone identified the reason why they were sailing so close to a race committee boat for a different race than theirs?

U20guy2

Super Anarchist
Did I miss where someone identified the reason why they were sailing so close to a race committee boat for a different race than theirs?
Years and years ago while doing a city front j/24 race we had just rounded the windward mark - Mid hoist I heard a yell from behind me and the helm was thrown over hard. Just as I was tossed off my feet mid hoist at the mast a foredeck crew on a Farr 40 reached over and pushed me back on the boat from behind. Scared the wholly shit out of me. Seems a Farr 40 was using our windward pin for a practice mark and came powering down on us from behind caught our boat owner by surprise. The closest time ever I came to going ass over tea kettle into the drink.

The Big boat practices are known for being a little wild the weeks before the BBS.

Though this is the first I've heard of a committee boat getting swept by a boom and hauled off by their anchor. I bet that was pretty intense.

I was the pin boat down at the Miami Grand Prix a couple of years ago when Moneypenny hooked my anchor rode. Our anchor broke loose and we went for a very intense upwind ride in 22kts until the anchor rehooked. With the distance closing quickly...we cut our anchor rode with inches to go. The guys in the back of the bus had the biggest eyes I've ever seen!

Always keep a good knife close and on deck...just in case of emergency.

I've been hit by a boom as the finish boat...fortunately...it was only a Yngling and didn't leave much of a mark.

Last edited by a moderator:

ILYAsailor90

Super Anarchist
PNW
For those of us to lazy to click

Flash_crash.jpg

DogBalls

Super Anarchist
Planet Earth
Way to go Jeff!!!

Kida like hitting the one car in an empty parking lot...... how in the world did you hit them in a huge, open bay!?!?!? ;)

Latest posts