The Front Almost Fell Off....

European Bloke

Super Anarchist
So they basically had three options:

1 - getting run down by the freighter

2 - getting blown up real good by the gas fumes

3 - actually getting the engine started and making it to the safe side of the channel

Looks like they got lucky!
Or keeping their fucking head out of the boat so they saw the whole shitshow develop before it became a crisis.  Too late for that I guess.

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
Sure looked like the ship turned directly into the sailboat.  That just looked strange.
Actually that captain is a total boss. He saw what was going on and steered to stbd farther---that made the space for the sb---and then he corrected back to port

Marcjsmith

Super Anarchist
Washington DC
had an issue a couple weeks back.  tooling along at 3-4kts  stbd tack traveling west to east in the center of the Chesapeake bay halfway between Thomas point light and bloody point.  water depth 50-60' for a 1/4mile all around.

tugboat pushing a full barge toward poplar island tooling along at 10kts.   we crossed his bow 200yds away. He tooted his horn once, when he passed behind us he was 50 yards astern.  he did not alter course  when he was astern i waved (friendly wave)  he comes out of his wheel house and screams "asshole"

Yes I can understand a bit from his POV that if the wind had died and I didn't fire up the motor,  i'd be fucked.  and I did entertain the thought the of firing up the motor and squirting across his path, but my dead reckoning based on current speed had me crossing at what i though was a safe distance...

was i the asshole?

Veeger

Super Anarchist
had an issue a couple weeks back.  tooling along at 3-4kts  stbd tack traveling west to east in the center of the Chesapeake bay halfway between Thomas point light and bloody point.  water depth 50-60' for a 1/4mile all around.

tugboat pushing a full barge toward poplar island tooling along at 10kts.   we crossed his bow 200yds away. He tooted his horn once, when he passed behind us he was 50 yards astern.  he did not alter course  when he was astern i waved (friendly wave)  he comes out of his wheel house and screams "asshole"

Yes I can understand a bit from his POV that if the wind had died and I didn't fire up the motor,  i'd be fucked.  and I did entertain the thought the of firing up the motor and squirting across his path, but my dead reckoning based on current speed had me crossing at what i though was a safe distance...

was i the asshole?
Yes,  you have NO idea of the limitations he’s working with.  Your 200 yds might seem like a lot but it’s not much more than a boat length for him.  How would you feel if you were cut off by a car or bicyclist 20’ (one car length) in fron of your car while running at 20 mph or more?  What would have been the downside to you if you had changed course and gone under his stern?  5 or 10 minutes late to your anchorage/slip?

BobBill

Super Anarchist
SE Minnesota.
Mid and others get it, but the whole mess stimulates....

Love the ditty's meaning, best to take names and smile while avoiding messes, as maskless killers should know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Parma

Super Anarchist
here

was i the asshole?
No, not an asshole , but perhaps a bit too much of a risk taker. I would that the guy below also thought he could make it. But what's the barge skipper supposed to do? Come out of his wheel house and yell "Risk Taker!" ??

ferry1.jpg

DougH

Need a lot more info , shipping channel ?

Constrained by draft ?
Yes and yes. The YouTube comments section has a lot more info. This is near Port Huron, Michigan, and in a relatively narrow section of river with a strong current. It is a well known high traffic cargo ship shipping lane. That cargo ship had nowhere to go but to starboard or he would have hit bottom.

Monkey

Super Anarchist

was i the asshole?
We had the reverse of that situation during a Lightning North Americans. Tugboat skipper was mad he had to add an extra five minutes onto his 50 mile trip each day, so he decided to drive his barge right through the finish line just as the leaders were finishing. 

16A60C74-2BBE-4432-AD38-51AAE6A2C592.jpeg

Tax Man

Super Anarchist
Toronto
Yes and yes. The YouTube comments section has a lot more info. This is near Port Huron, Michigan, and in a relatively narrow section of river with a strong current. It is a well known high traffic cargo ship shipping lane. That cargo ship had nowhere to go but to starboard or he would have hit bottom.
This stretch of the river is under strict control with alternating one-way traffic because of the current and the sharp turns.

DougH

Here is a NOOA chart of southern Lake Huron. The shipping channel is clear to see. The incident took place at the bottom of this pict.

image.png

Below is a blow-up of the incident area, just south of the Bluewater Bridge. Note the depths.

image.png

MR.CLEAN

Not here
I think the title of the front-page post could be a little more accurate... Current, not tide...
Outside of the us and maybe Canada, English speaking sailors tend to refer to all current as “tide” whether tidal or not. Not sure who wrote fp blurb.  For those of you who think a word is inaccurately used on a site where which much of the content comes from non-us contributors, google before opening mouth and inserting foot. Here Endeth the PSA

Last edited by a moderator:

Panoramix

Super Anarchist
The commercial boat was a bit of an idiot. It should have sounded 1 short blast to let him know that he was coming to starboard instead of sounding 5 short ones which don't tell you much about what to do.

DougH

Outside of the us and maybe Canada, English speaking sailors tend to refer to all current as “tide” whether tidal or not. Not sure who wrote fp blurb.  For those of you who think a word is inaccurately used on a site where which much of the content comes from non-us contributors, google before opening mouth and inserting foot
Since it is technically and logically correct to differentiate between the two phenomenon, perhaps it is those outside the US that should research the terms.