The future of the WETA?

WETA deliveries are scheduled to go over 1000 this spring on the world market. Not bad for any new design. U.S. boat numbers are in the range of 250 - 300 depending on who you talk to. For discussion: 1) Is the WETA a good replacement for some aging beach cats ( granted, the performance is less )? 2) Why aren't more owners racing? 3) Where do any of you see this boat in the future? How 'bout some opinions from owners, would-be owners and critics. I'd like to know.

Pete Pollard

Super Anarchist
It's a nice boat. There have been several similar threads, try searching for them as difficult as that is, or maybe someone has a link?

MoMP

Super Anarchist
Boston, USA
I think you'll find older cat sailors tooling to sail fast but save their knees. The boat itself shouldn't change as it's a one design. With more boats, fleets will organize and racing is inevitable.

eric e

Super Anarchist
nz.akl
while racing can be everything for some hyped up sailors

for most recreational sailors it's the kiss of death for enjoyment on the water

probably <1% of hobie 16s are raced now

and it probably was only as ever high as 10

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I never realized that racing was so bad. So for all of you, racers and non-racers, please give me your comments on what the future may hold for the WETA. Thanks

eric e

Super Anarchist
nz.akl
the future?

a 1000? boats in 9? years

maybe another 1000 in 5 years, now that it's well known and there are dealers and test boats all over the globe

small tris seem likely to keep growing in popularity as long as they can be easily packed down and transported solo

a doubling of wetas made would maybe raise boats racing by 1.5? times as older, cheaper boats became replacements for holiday home hacks?

to keep 1-design racers happy weta should keep the boat as unchanged as possible

and as requests for weta marine to make a bigger boat seem to have died down lately they probably should spend more time and money on trying to keep the basic weta price from rising, as chinese wages rise, rather than developing a new boat???

WestCoast

Super Anarchist
We've been watching the Weta for the last few years with interest. It just seems the boat keeps growing and growing.

We're finally signing on to sell them and interest has already been very high.

I think the boat has a very bright future ahead of it.

Randy-E25

I love racing and think it is what really makes sailing fun. I like the challenges and I like the learning every race I learn more and develop new skills. I think who and where you race is important some groups are too but our club has fun every week and everybody helps everybody we all grow together.

RedTuna

Super Anarchist
Texas
I think the 300 series Wetas didn't start splashing until 2010 when I picked up my 2008 #212. So that's some 700 boats sold in four years if #1000 is just around the corner. Pretty damn amazing in this day and age. Bodes well for a bright future. Doesn't need to thought of as a "replacement" for anything.

Fun boat for zipping around or racing. If there aren't any local for OD racing, try to find a Portsmouth fleet.

Infidel

Super Anarchist
Great little boat and helped convince me to go purchase a Dragonfly for delivery this summer. The tri is a wonderful concept for racing and perhaps cruising, but mainly just a blast to sail.

I just brought my 2010 Weta to a boat shop for some reconditioning. Love the thing so much I'm going to fair it and awlgrip it in Flag Blue. Should't add much weight with some of the gelcoat having to come off for grip. Will post pics a some point. And eventually I'll get it on the race course.

cfarrah

Anarchist
FL
Close to the tipping point...

1. Clearly the brand is stable.
  2. The boat is F-U-N to sail...and I've raced a lot of different boats, mono and multi. It is wet though, and if that turns you off, you may want to consider a sport done on land.
  3. The manufacturer is one of the most involved and invested builder I've EVER seen...
  4. Critical mass is emerging on the West Coast and Southeastern US
  5. The dealer network is phenomenal... all driven by Jon Britt, Weta's entry point into the US market years ago
  6. While the US class leadership is still going through growing pains, its holding true to OD
  7. Some anchor events are emerging as worthy of travel (shameless plug for WetaFest 2014 ;-)
  8. While I bristle a bit at the categorization of the boat as one for "older" sailors, the truth is that we have an aging demographic in sailing, with control of the economic might of the US...so if it's true, then they are well positioned...

Ultimately, the allure of the Weta continues to be strong in a weak economy, and I expect it will be for a long time to come. Race ready OD multihull at under 15k, with a small storage and rigging footprint. Like the Laser, it's one of those boats you buy, sail when you can, store when you can't, and road trip for the memories and camaraderie of solid OD racing.

Best,

C.

Nor'Banks

Duck, NC
C.

Excellent summation of where Weta is right now. Thanks for your kind words about me, but I would be remiss to not mention the hard work of all our Weta dealers like Davo, Dick Hitchcock, Bob Gleason, Scott Wilson and our newest West Coast Dealer, George Yioulos with West Coast Sailing.

WetaFest is going to be Awesome.

Jon Britt

Nor'Banks Sailing

The white screecher is the 12.9m sq - see all the info here - http://www.wetamarine.com/images/stories/weta_owners/12.9gennakertips.pdf

It's the only white sail so you can know at a glance if someone is using the big sail and not the normal 8m genny.

But we are doing hot pink as a new standard colour!

531970_10151680136406169_1255879734_n.jpg

cfarrah

Anarchist
FL
Question: What does the 2013 NZ Weta National Champion, second place finisher in the 2013 Australian Viper (f16 catamaran) nationals, 2007 NZ Radial National Championships and the 2002 Girls Laser Radial Youth World Championships have in common?

Answer: they are all the same person who will be making her US debut at WetaFest 2014! (see the pic above… Miranda is on the left)

Miranda Powrie of Weta Marine is a sailing juggernaut, and will be representing the pride of New Zealand as Weta's duke it out on the water this Spring in Fort Walton Beach, Florida. How will she fare at the only major US event not dominated by Chris Kitchen?

WetaFest will run from Thursday to Sunday, March 6 through 9th.

Thursday, Miranda will run a free clinic for all levels. This will be a structured day starting at 10am going till 4pm.

10-1 - tuning tips, starting and tactics - short course racing

1.30-4 - speed tips with racing and a capsize drill to finish off.

Friday and Saturday will be windward leeward racing and Sunday the distance race and awards ceremony.

Each day we will have a post racing drink and debrief session, where racers will help one another get speed and strategy tips for the next days racing...

This is shaping up to be a great event, charters are getting filled quickly, so please contact Dick or Jon with Weta ASAP to line yours up!

More later,

C.

Pete Pollard

Super Anarchist
I'll probably never buy another new boat (or any boat for that matter) but I'd charter in a heart beat if that was available.

Latest posts