The future of the WETA?

I also have two boats in Michigan for anyone wanting to try one out. Contact me through the Micigan Weta dealer, sailsport marine

When the lakes again turn liquid. Current average ice coverage of all 5 Great Lakes is 76%

Not to be too spammy, but in partnership with Dick we have 7 in stock here in Charlotte Harbor. Ready to sail...........

1625726_568629119881226_40122184_n.jpg

7th boat is setup in the showroom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

RedTuna

Super Anarchist
Texas
Do new sails come with the improved battens discussed a year or two ago on the Weta group?

And can someone post a picture of the current batten strap and buckle? My 2008 era sails are next to impossible to adjust.

Yahoo made me make my password so complicated I cannot remember it, so no Weta group for me.

Thanks.

unShirley

Super Anarchist
Ventura
I bought new sails 3 years ago and was happy to find that the main had much better shape and much easier to use batten tensioners. My original sails, which I still use most of the time (New ones are strictly for racing) came with the boat in July of 08.

chas5131

As a proto-geezer I am seriously considering a Weta because it appears to make hiking easier on the knees.

Is this a valid consideration?

My Laser is definitely not easy on the knees.

βhyde

Super Anarchist
Beside Myself
As a proto-geezer I am seriously considering a Weta because it appears to make hiking easier on the knees.

Is this a valid consideration?

My Laser is definitely not easy on the knees.
The Weta is one of the easiest boat to hike you'll ever sailed. You are not so much hiking as just sitting on the high side ama with your legs laying on the trampoline. Most people put a strip of foam under the tramp to pad the back of their knees for extra comfort. Other people have even added a foam pad to the top of the ama, just behind the chain plates, to give their butts some cushion.

The real trick is to adjust the harness (included with the boat) so that the length supports your back as you lean back slightly while sitting on the ama. You can sail for hours like this with little or no back/leg fatigue. If you can sail a Laser fully hiked, you will have absolutely no problem with the Weta. It's so lazy it's almost cheating.

Pete Pollard

Super Anarchist
I'll probably never buy another new boat (or any boat for that matter) but I'd charter in a heart beat if that was available.
Dear Proto-geezer: I made the above statement trying to find a ride for Weta Fest. One day one the water and I bought the boat!

Having had the chance to fiddle around and learn a little about the boat, there is more performance than I originally thought. I'm thinking the boat is faster than most sailors, if that makes any sense.

unShirley

Super Anarchist
Ventura
BTW: My Weta is for sale. It already has padding wrapped around the fore and aft trampoline support along with a bunch of other upgrades and custom tweaks.

I tried to buy an SA add, but they only take PayPal and I refuse to use PayPal.

I won't provide links to my other ads out of respect to SA (SA and respect in the same sentence....go figure), but it is out there in a specific latitude.

Tom Kirkman

Anarchist
The future for the Weta is bright because:

1. It can be assembled quickly by one able bodied person in about 20 minutes, unless you're BSing with other sailors on the beach.

2. It offers spirited performance. Remember, that "feel" is relative. This is a 14 foot boat and capable of speeds approaching 20MPH at the top end, with 12 to 17 not very hard to achieve in decent winds. While it's not as fast as some of the cats, it "feels" like it is. You won't see many Weta sailors with frowns on their faces when the wind gets into double digits.

3. There are a lot of different ways to sail the boat well. It allows for great control in a variety of wind conditions. I have no qualms whatsoever in taking mine out in 35MPH winds (although I feel 15 to 25 is ideal for it).

4. Each new year model means that the used Weta market becomes more active, putting more boats on the market at lower prices. It will be awhile before you can pick up a used Weta for what a decent used H16 goes for, but that day will come.

5. The "screecher" adds a tremendous element to the overall sailing capabilities of the boat.

6. It's fun as hell.

chas5131

BTW: My Weta is for sale. It already has padding wrapped around the fore and aft trampoline support along with a bunch of other upgrades and custom tweaks.

I won't provide links to my other ads out of respect to SA (SA and respect in the same sentence....go figure), but it is out there in a specific latitude.
WTF is Ventucky?

unShirley

Super Anarchist
Ventura

WTF is Ventucky?
Here: 34.2750° N, 119.2278°

Also known as Bakersfield By The Sea

chas5131

"Also known as Ventura, California. Ventura is located along the coast between Santa Barbara and Malibu and can best be described as being in the armpit between the two. Full of white trash and near-white trash who think they are classy because they live in an area with high housing costs.

Also known as "bakersfield by the sea". Populated by bro truck driving maroons.
I ran into a guy from Ventucky. He told me he's going to buy a new boat to replace the old boat that sat rusting in his yard and never saw the water.
by Timothy Huff August 17, 2007- Urban Dictionary

Must be a fun place.

unShirley

Super Anarchist
Ventura
Whoa Chaz...unless you live here, you can't be so derogatory. An outsider getting down on Ventura is like an Anglo using the N word. Very uncool... Although our socio-economic strata is below that of Santa Barbara and Malibu it is still a very pretty place to live.

But, all of that aside, we have excellent sailing in Ventura. Consistent moderate to strong afternoon westerlies and easy access to the Channel Islands. Great for the Weta.

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
Channel Islands from Ventura on the Weta - really?

How long does it take - 4 hours to round Anacapa and back? Seems like big ocean to do that solo in a 14 foot boat...

PS: that wasn't derogatory - that's the dictionary! Albeit probably edited by a native Angelino...

Latest posts