The "Good Guy with a gun" myth

another 505 sailor

Super Anarchist
If there is an age restriction on buying something, it makes sense to not allow marketing of that product to those too young to purchase it.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
If there is an age restriction on buying something, it makes sense to not allow marketing of that product to those too young to purchase it.
I think it's a good idea for kids to learn about guns long before they're old enough to actually buy one. Just to be clear, that includes shooting them at "…events where firearm-related products are sold or used."

So no, it doesn't make sense to me to forbid kids from learning to shoot.

It makes less sense when you get to the obvious first amendment problems:

"The broad-sweeping law applies not only to 'commercial speech' targeting children or encouraging them to engage in unlawful behavior, but to a great deal of political and educational speech, truthful commercial speech aimed at adults, and speech promoting activities that are perfectly lawful to engage in—even by minors in California," warns their motion for a preliminary injunction, which will be heard in federal court on August 22. "Because the law is not tailored to serving a compelling governmental interest, it violates the First Amendment rights to free speech, assembly, and association."

veni vidi vici

Omne quod audimus est opinio, non res. Omnia videm
You are mixing owning a using, many many kids grow up around guns and are part of their lifestyle and culture. They are not the mass shooters. Typically the mass shooter is a dysfunctional person .

another 505 sailor

Super Anarchist
You are mixing owning a using, many many kids grow up around guns and are part of their lifestyle and culture. They are not the mass shooters. Typically the mass shooter is a dysfunctional person .
No I am not. Advertise a gun to parents to buy for the kids, but don't advertise the gun to kids.
Do you see the difference?

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
No I am not. Advertise a gun to parents to buy for the kids, but don't advertise the gun to kids.
Do you see the difference?
You seem to be responding to my post about advertising OR USING guns as if it's all about advertising and sales.

It's not and the gun clubs that are now closed to Cali kids know it even if you choose to ignore it.

Getting past the part you dishonestly ignore, you can't publicize an ad without some chance a kid will see it. You can't advertise a gun without a grabber interpreting that as advocating murder, especially against kids, so you're asking for a complete ban on any gun ads. Just ask for it instead of pretending it's about kids.

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
I don't think gun ads should be banned, but I should be able to sue anyone who displays such an ad where I can see it for $10,000 per time that I see it because it might disturb my digestion or something.
(seriously, the more laws like this we have the better, maybe that will get the courts to ban all these bounty-hunting laws that so far evade all checks on constitutionality)

another 505 sailor

Super Anarchist
You seem to be responding to my post about advertising OR USING guns as if it's all about advertising and sales.

It's not and the gun clubs that are now closed to Cali kids know it even if you choose to ignore it.

Getting past the part you dishonestly ignore, you can't publicize an ad without some chance a kid will see it. You can't advertise a gun without a grabber interpreting that as advocating murder, especially against kids, so you're asking for a complete ban on any gun ads. Just ask for it instead of pretending it's about kids.
No I did not respond to you and I stopped reading this post after the first half of your first sentence.
Of course you're an excellent driver...

1660236622069.png