The Graduate

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Thanks for posting the renderings, willp. The plagiarism rules do seem a bit nonsensical if you can access them anyway.

Your cruiser seeks to combine the advantages of a flush deck with the nicety of having side decks. In both cases, well done and I like where you put them.

The area where they meet is, I'm sorry to say, Admirable. But I'm a huge fan of the Society so that doesn't bother me a bit.

teamt

Will,  They are just using the term plagiarism to deflect attention from what they really mean,  that the university owns the content you produced using university resources.  Any intellectual property, revenue potential or publication rights are owned by the university.

The lead paragraph from their policy pretty much sums it up:    "The University needs to protect its investment and rights in teaching and support materials, so that they can be enhanced, developed and improved over time as teaching students is a core activity. Similarly, the university needs to protect its rights to exploit IP when university facilities or resources have been used to develop the IP."    https://portal.solent.ac.uk/documents/academic-services/policies-procedures-guidelines/intellectual-property-rights-policy.pdf

The university, and all universities, arrange deals with academic publishers to make the content available under controlled situations, like the databases you access in the library.  These methods further cement the provenance of the informatio, discoveries, and the rights of the university to profit from it should a commercial use arise.  They restrict your publication in open forums like this to prevent commercial entities from copying that work, building the products, and very legally defending that they used publicly available free information from the internet as the base of their work.

Ahhh, the dirty world of academic publishing and intellectual property ownership in academics...    History somehow got us here driven from financial interests in the university.  Students, and even more so, professors are losing here.  Professors are starting to make small gains, and demand publication rights before signing with universities.  Students do have a real beef here... In a commercial world, the claim would be that you paid the university for use of their facilities and your professors were your employees... so their contribution to your work is a work-for-hire.  And in government funded universities, that your taxes funded it as well.  

Unfortunately, students funding lawyers to challenge the university is so unlikely that these policies will continue.

Now, back to sailing.... Very cool looking design!

Panoramix

Super Anarchist
Will,  They are just using the term plagiarism to deflect attention from what they really mean,  that the university owns the content you produced using university resources.  Any intellectual property, revenue potential or publication rights are owned by the university.

The lead paragraph from their policy pretty much sums it up:    "The University needs to protect its investment and rights in teaching and support materials, so that they can be enhanced, developed and improved over time as teaching students is a core activity. Similarly, the university needs to protect its rights to exploit IP when university facilities or resources have been used to develop the IP."    https://portal.solent.ac.uk/documents/academic-services/policies-procedures-guidelines/intellectual-property-rights-policy.pdf

The university, and all universities, arrange deals with academic publishers to make the content available under controlled situations, like the databases you access in the library.  These methods further cement the provenance of the informatio, discoveries, and the rights of the university to profit from it should a commercial use arise.  They restrict your publication in open forums like this to prevent commercial entities from copying that work, building the products, and very legally defending that they used publicly available free information from the internet as the base of their work.

Ahhh, the dirty world of academic publishing and intellectual property ownership in academics...    History somehow got us here driven from financial interests in the university.  Students, and even more so, professors are losing here.  Professors are starting to make small gains, and demand publication rights before signing with universities.  Students do have a real beef here... In a commercial world, the claim would be that you paid the university for use of their facilities and your professors were your employees... so their contribution to your work is a work-for-hire.  And in government funded universities, that your taxes funded it as well.  

Unfortunately, students funding lawyers to challenge the university is so unlikely that these policies will continue.

Now, back to sailing.... Very cool looking design!
It makes more sense now, I wasn't aware of this, it's a bit sad, originally academia was meant to better human kind, not to do private work. it is also grossly unfair to design consultancies who (quite rightly) have to pay for the labour of their engineers/architects.

teamt

Higher Education is a $1.3 trillion industry, and scientific and technical academic publishing is a $25 billion industry with a staggering 35% or more profit margin for market leaders.

On the bright side, that makes a lot of potential customers for Will's most excellent designs.

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
I've always found that if you ask the writer of an interesting paper, they will happily sent it to you. (Shout out to Arash Eslamdoost who published the paper below that is really helping me with a current project)

2018 Analysis of the thrust deduction in waterjet propulsion – The Froude number dependence

Nobody but dive support boats use waterjets on a boat that only goes 12 knots. Very hard to predict resistance I am finding because most displacement hulls don't have immersed transoms!

Back to the congratulations:  Will - if you ever get to Vancouver, look me up. I'll show you around our office of about 75 persons. Lots of very clever people designing workboats. 4 guys just in the CFD department and full time cluster than is running stuff 24/7...

Bugsy

Super Anarchist
Canada
Well done!

Congratulations to Will, and to his parents for being supportive of his ambitions and achievements.  

While the photo shows BJ in a suit, I think there is some probability he is either in bare feet or beach sandals.    :)

savoir

Super Anarchist
You might be on to something. There is a certain resemblance here.

95ea55cc90f2c62705df004f1ed219a8--wilma-flintstone-marriage-vows.jpg

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
Good luck Will.

I think that rendering is pretty unique with the full width deck and the aft cabin. I wouldn’t be able to design anything as interesting.

Good job folks! This one won’t be languishing in your basement 

Bent Sailor

Super Anarchist
Lake Macquarie
Belated congratulations from me, BJ. Both to your son for his accomplishments and to the parents who raised the son they're (deservedly) well proud of.

Though I have to say, having met you & your missus in person, it's hard to believe he gets his height from her side of the family. Then again, I come from short stock.  :lol:

Not My Real Name

Not Actually Me
Belated congratulations from me, BJ. Both to your son for his accomplishments and to the parents who raised the son they're (deservedly) well proud of.

Though I have to say, having met you & your missus in person, it's hard to believe he gets his height from her side of the family. Then again, I come from short stock.  :lol:
I've got a cousin - the artist that did the statue for the Satanic Temple - who is 6'4+ and looks like he could be Will's brother. He was the spitting image of me as a kid; you could mix our elementary school pix up and they'd be tough to sort. There's height on my side too, but I didn't get much of it relative to the other men.

Kathy's brothers are about 6'3" and 6'5".

py26129

Super Anarchist
Montreal
Congratulations to Will and the whole family. BJ and company must be immensely proud. I look forward to seeing what comes off Will's digital drawing board going forward 

RKoch

Super Anarchist
da 'burg
Just saw this. Congrats Will, and Kudos to BJ and wife for raising such a fine smart kid. I predict a bright future.

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
I can't share my work, but I can throw up a few renders. This is my dissertation, a 47 foot well performing livaboard cruising boat. VPP results suggest 220 mile days in 16 true on a reach. 

View attachment 276726

View attachment 276727

View attachment 276728

View attachment 276730
You need to spend a little less time on the computer and a bit more time at sea.

Non continuous side decks on a chined tip truck are a recipe for disaster.

Your floors are going to be quite high to make that extended coach roof width useful and at 47ft it will be commodious enough without. 

Congrats on the Diploma.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
You need to spend a little less time on the computer and a bit more time at sea.

Non continuous side decks on a chined tip truck are a recipe for disaster.

Your floors are going to be quite high to make that extended coach roof width useful and at 47ft it will be commodious enough without. 

Congrats on the Diploma.
He's only had so many years on the planet. How many more was he supposed to spend on a boat?

I think the partial flush deck thing is an interesting idea but you make a good point.

If I step out from behind that dodger to go forward, those extendo-stanchions look like a bit of a reach, even for my orangutan arms.

Some handles on the dodger roof would be good.

One good thing: going up the side deck, there's no way I'd have the inevitable fuel and water jugs in my way. Which does raise the question of where they would be, since they do seem inevitable.