The Highlands Fling a multihull classic in the making

Loose Cannon

Super Anarchist
Planet Earth
Atlantic Highlands NJ around sandy hook, down to Manasquan, left turn to Block Island

http://www.regattanetwork.com/event/18844

We have F50 boats in NYC June 21-2, the Gotham Multihull Regatta 4th of July weekend, then the Highlands Fling July 13th weekend.

How do we turn on the hype engine, and draw all the GB's on down to F-Boats off their docks and into the lineup?  

How do we get coverage to share?  (A single long lense on the condos atop atlantic highlands could cover the first hour of the race!)

Last edited by a moderator:

boardhead

Anarchist
   Some 22 years ago we organized the first Atlantic Highlands Fling as a fun way to race up to Block Island with all that offers plus help draw the NY, NJ and Chesapeake Multihull fleet down east  to participate in the excellent NEMA racing and cruising events.

In 1997 we had a decent fleet of nine entrants, a fun get together and an exciting race, won by a really well sailed F27. What could be better than racing to a beautiful island, away from the oppressive heat and humidity that July announces on the East Coast.

Unfortunately with the multihull scene favoring smaller, folding, trail able boats interest in offshore racing diminished and after the third edition in 1999 the Atlantic Highlands Fling was discontinued.

Well, the Fling is back!  

The current interest promises competition for a broad range of multihulls with 25’ and 35’ Dragonfly trimarans, a 30’ Crowther Cat, the 35’ tri, Transient, a 40’ TRT 1200 Cat, a 44’ St Francis Cat and a 47’ Crowther cat.

There will be an emphasis on participation with a unique “By Hook or by Crook” trophy in addition to 1st, 2nd and 3rd Corrected to recognize just getting there if, in the event of light air, the lower performance entrants fire up the iron topsail, take a DSQ from the racing but press on to the finish. The recipient will be decided by popular vote from the qualifying fleet.

With the Gotham Multihull Regatta the preceding weekend providing an inshore warm up come join us in this exciting event.

mrybas

I’m trying to get Kite (Crowther 47’) back in one piece for the Highlands Fling. Gotta stop wasting time on this forum and get this boat finished!

3758BC07-EAA3-40FA-94A7-4190C42A74B9.jpeg

boardhead

Anarchist
GT version with oversized rudders and Marstrom, carbon rig and sprit. The owners previous boat was an open bridge deck version, he much prefers the GT and with better sails and prep it’s a faster boat. 

The structure is much stiffer and the interior works really well.

boardhead

Anarchist
   Six weeks out from the start we are ready to put the rigs back up in the sky on three entrants. Carbon rig on Fast Company has been lengthened 19”, Transient’s has fresh paint and all new Dyneema standing and running rigging and Summer Magic’s lower tech alloy spar now has a 2:1 main halyard to reduce compressive loading, new Dyneema shrouds, beefed up gooseneck all new wiring, lights, halyards, sheaves, better than new! Attainable goals attained.

So as I read about efforts to sink a fortune into the abandoned trans ocean foiler that is Hydroptere to preserve her, difficulties and expense of owning a multihull on the West Coast and nobody to race down under for under $100,000 catamarans we are excited about the upcoming season here on the east coast and the prospect of plenty of racing and cruising options.

Meanwhile the three time ET and twice Overall winner of this race sits waiting, ready to go, for new blood to get out there and do it over again. 

Shoot me down for this plug but it is a sincere pitch to join us and have some fun sailing offshore with some old salt experience and a huge opportunity for new or upsizing players to get out there, mix it up in NEMA then follow the sun south and have a crack at the Caribbean 600.

Let’s Go!

Wess

Super Anarchist
   Six weeks out from the start we are ready to put the rigs back up in the sky on three entrants. Carbon rig on Fast Company has been lengthened 19”, Transient’s has fresh paint and all new Dyneema standing and running rigging and Summer Magic’s lower tech alloy spar now has a 2:1 main halyard to reduce compressive loading, new Dyneema shrouds, beefed up gooseneck all new wiring, lights, halyards, sheaves, better than new! Attainable goals attained.

So as I read about efforts to sink a fortune into the abandoned trans ocean foiler that is Hydroptere to preserve her, difficulties and expense of owning a multihull on the West Coast and nobody to race down under for under $100,000 catamarans we are excited about the upcoming season here on the east coast and the prospect of plenty of racing and cruising options.

Meanwhile the three time ET and twice Overall winner of this race sits waiting, ready to go, for new blood to get out there and do it over again. 

Shoot me down for this plug but it is a sincere pitch to join us and have some fun sailing offshore with some old salt experience and a huge opportunity for new or upsizing players to get out there, mix it up in NEMA then follow the sun south and have a crack at the Caribbean 600.

Let’s Go!
Nice!

boardhead

Anarchist
So you gonna join us Wess? The shirts are cool but you have to enter to get three.

Taking Skateaway out for a spin today, nice break from prepping the “Old Guy’s” cruiser/racing Summer Magic (St. Francis 44) for the AHF.

Wess

Super Anarchist
So you gonna join us Wess? The shirts are cool but you have to enter to get three.

Taking Skateaway out for a spin today, nice break from prepping the “Old Guy’s” cruiser/racing Summer Magic (St. Francis 44) for the AHF.
No, sorry.  The multi is strictly for cruising.  No racing.  I am more of an OD dinghy kinda guy anyway when it comes to racing.  Give me LASER or give me death!  Or give me two rotator cuff surgeries which put an end to that LOL.

Hope y'all have a great time though.

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
Skateaway was a blast to sail on yesterday!

Thanks for the fantastic opportunity  Board head!!!

It gave me a huge thrill and got me psyched to get up to Volantis.

boardhead

Anarchist
Less than three weeks to the start of the only NEMA race this year that dares to venture out of sight of land!

Any of you armchair sailors out there want to go sailing? 

We have a rock solid entry of four boats so we have a race at least - Come on you guy’s LETS GO - who knows we might even have a GREAT TIME along the way and in Block Island.

boardhead

Anarchist
A calamitous run up to race day including the TRT 1200, Nemo, taking a direct lightning strike that destroyed almost every electrical component on the boat and put some underwater holes inboard on both hulls left only two starters. Thankfully the last minute entry of Coltrane, a Contour 34 racing for the first time under the ownership of Alston Van Putten gave us a NEMA scoring event at least.

Perfect weather conditions provided a brisk port favored windward start and plenty of boat speed to beat the adverse tidal flow around Sandy Hook.

With Nice Tri, the Dragonfly 1000 setting her asymmetric and Summer Magic under reacher the leaders ran south into the expected southerly shift that had everyone working the lifts down the beach south to the Manasquan sea buoy which Nice Tri rounded first, popped her chute and flew off northeast in the teens. Summer Magic, the St Francis 44 cruising cat rounded half an hour later and set her reacher taking a more easterly course towards Block Island. Meanwhile Coltrane, feeling they were not fully up to speed in their first event, retired before heading offshore.

Summer Magic, now under asymmetric, ran way out to the east and after working the lift was able to gybe northeast and head directly toward Montauk where she almost converged with Nice Tri who had worked their way, closer inshore along the Long Island beach in lighter air.

Summer Magic, passing close under Montauk, close reached weather bowing the ebb out of the Race which drove her east toward the finish while Nice Tri ran off under asymmetric to the east, underestimated the southerly set and, too late, found themselves flushed out of Block Island sound.

Summer Magic crossed the line first followed by a disappointed Nice Tri, beaten by the adverse current in a faltering breeze.

Averaging 7.17 thru the water, completing the windward/leeward, 160 miles course in 27h 22m Summer Magic won the 2019 Atlantic Highlands Fling.

After picking up some diesel, just in case, Nice Tri headed for home enjoying a fast run, upwind along the beach, in a decent northwesterly to be back for work.

A great time was had by all in this, the longest Offshore event in the NEMA calendar. The Black Dog Dash, a 22 mile inshore event, with over 20 entrants kicks off at 11:00 tomorrow.Two very different races for the diverse NEMA fleet.

Sadly we saw only a minimal entry this year, hopefully the event will attract a bigger fleet next year from those who need a more challenging race.

Loose Cannon

Super Anarchist
Planet Earth
Thanks for the update KEITH.  Sorry I couldn’t join you.  Maybe we can take skate away out for some press and hype for the vineyard race or something like that.

all the best

Latest posts