THE IMOCA thread, single/double handed & TOR

Fiji Bitter

I love Fiji Bitter
In the wild.
There really isn't a thread for general things Imoca 60's, and most people don't like to go to the Shorthanded forum anyway. So here you go, for your proper ocean racing imoca stuff, if you like.

The following video is as much about the lovely Pip Hare and her Vendee efforts as about the Fastnet, so fits very well in here.

Fiji Bitter

I love Fiji Bitter
In the wild.
Why can't we all just get along... (on the same forum) :p
We do get along and we are not arguing with the shorthanders at all.

The problem is that the individual threads for the boats, and those for each race, are all in this Ocean Racing forum. So it makes sense to have a general imoca thread here as well.

And then there is the additional problem that the TOR imoca's are not shorthanded, so they certainly belong here. There will be splits, and that can be a good thing to keep it organized, but they should all be in this forum IMHO..

jb5

Super Anarchist
US East Coast
A somewhat odd thing...but maybe a chance to take a look at the former Gitana again.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/science-environment-49331885/greta-thunberg-s-zero-carbon-journey-i-might-feel-a-bit-sea-sick

Wind turbines?  I would think water may be correct and Carbon free?  Forgetting of course its a Carbon boat with a diesel engine but then whatever....

https://www.scanvoile.com/2019/08/malizia-boris-herrmann-greta-thunberg-pierre-casiraghi-traversee-atlantique.html#.XVLKaWjYphE

Via Google

Boris Herrmann embarks Greta Thunberg on Malizia for a crossing of the Atlantic to New York
The IMOCA Malizia II, helmed by Pierre Casiraghi and Boris Herrmann, will welcome the young Swede Greta Thunberg on board for a crossing of the Atlantic. Before participating in the United Nations Climate Summit in New York on 23 September, the girl chose to sail with Team Malizia to cross the Atlantic from England.

Boris Herrmann embarks Greta Thunberg on Malizia for a crossing of the Atlantic

Malizia_cred_AndreasLindlahr_BD.jpg

Credit: Malizia

Departure tomorrow Wednesday
Boris Herrmann: " I am delighted that our sporting ambition and our sailing project can play a role in raising awareness of the most important challenge facing humanity today. I feel honored that Greta has accepted our proposal to cross the Atlantic aboard Malizia, despite the lack of comfort for her. »

Last edited by a moderator:

jb5

Super Anarchist
US East Coast
Thanks for that, jb5 !

For a bit more on Boris Hermann, his Malizia, and his climate action, see his website:  https://www.borisherrmannracing.com/press-releases/sailing-team-malizia-joins-the-un-initiative-sports-for-climate-action/

This is also going to fit in well with the TOR's sustainability program.
I see the SA forum is all over this today. No carbon footprint.... A boat made of carbon and that one also should still have a diesel installed.

Publicity stunt. 

Sorry but really no idea how that relates to sustainability either. Marketing pitch aside. 

Miffy

Super Anarchist
TBF to all those involved - Malizia/Boris/Monaco Yacht Club's entire focus is marketing/publicity anyway so if he's going to have to cross the Atlantic to get to the start line of an IMOCA event, what's the big deal with bringing along a kid and her dad?

jb5

Super Anarchist
US East Coast
TBF to all those involved - Malizia/Boris/Monaco Yacht Club's entire focus is marketing/publicity anyway so if he's going to have to cross the Atlantic to get to the start line of an IMOCA event, what's the big deal with bringing along a kid and her dad?
Yeah I get it and good luck to him as far as that goes 

r.finn

Super Anarchist
That "kid" as you call her, has a tattoo on her back showing where DRY LAND IS!  Seriously though, there are certainly more comfortable sailboats for non-sailors to go transAt than an IMOCA.  I'm sure they are routing the smoothest E to W transatlantic route for them.  Otherwise they may never want to go sailing again.

European Bloke

Super Anarchist
I see the SA forum is all over this today. No carbon footprint.... A boat made of carbon and that one also should still have a diesel installed.

Publicity stunt. 

Sorry but really no idea how that relates to sustainability either. Marketing pitch aside. 
The whole thing's about publicity, don't have a problem with that.  She has a valid message even if she's a bit wacked out and in reality her boat, like any big carbon race boat, is an environmental disaster.

Fucked if I know how she's going to get home...

mad

Super Anarchist
The whole thing's about publicity, don't have a problem with that.  She has a valid message even if she's a bit wacked out and in reality her boat, like any big carbon race boat, is an environmental disaster.

Fucked if I know how she's going to get home...
Good point, especially if/when she discovers that she hates sailing. 

Laurent

Super Anarchist
Houston
2 hours ago, jb5 said:

Are you sure?

Those videos are heavily edited, and I am not sure that we can (from our comfortable armchair) really assess the dynamic behavior of the boat. If you look closely, there is not one "scene" in that video that lasts more than 3 seconds.

I would like to see one uninterrupted scene of 15-20 seconds of the boat flying or skimming above water...

Each time the bow starts to raise seriously high, the picture cuts, and we get to another scene... They may have crashed 10 times while filming this video, we would not know it...

I sincerely hope you are right; but I am getting suspicious of this type of video; it is more a promotional tool than a boat improvement/assessment tool.

mad

Super Anarchist
Are you sure?

Those videos are heavily edited, and I am not sure that we can (from our comfortable armchair) really assess the dynamic behavior of the boat. If you look closely, there is not one "scene" in that video that lasts more than 3 seconds.

I would like to see one uninterrupted scene of 15-20 seconds of the boat flying or skimming above water...

Each time the bow starts to raise seriously high, the picture cuts, and we get to another scene... They may have crashed 10 times while filming this video, we would not know it...

I sincerely hope you are right; but I am getting suspicious of this type of video; it is more a promotional tool than a boat improvement/assessment tool.
Wondering why they didn’t make the jump to fools on rudders looking at pretty much the whole fleet with foils. 

jb5

Super Anarchist
US East Coast
Wondering why they didn’t make the jump to fools on rudders looking at pretty much the whole fleet with foils. 
Some of those foils on the older boats seem to be pretty compromised due to costs and structure.  I wonder why they did it in some cases, esp with boats 3 generations old now. Initiatives Coeur and PRB seem the only exceptions.  Maybe its good for the class as it keeps some older boats in play. I wish the new boats had rudder T foils.

Latest posts