THE IMOCA thread, single/double handed & TOR

JeronimoII

Anarchist
Europe
Malizia’s videos are top notch. Next level. Everyone with microphones, well scripted. Excellent. (Especially Part 1). Also considering the editing was done on board during racing (I guess)

Last edited:

minca3

A couple of onboards. PRB/Holcim apparently had some engine/generator issue? (don't speak french)
Looks to me as if they were working issue(s) until right up to the start (until Kevin kickt the team out):

Laurent

Super Anarchist
Houston
A couple of onboards. PRB/Holcim apparently had some engine/generator issue? (don't speak french)
Looks to me as if they were working issue(s) until right up to the start (until Kevin kickt the team out):

Yes, he had a problem with one of the belts on the engine (burnt). The team changed the belt in no time (one of them shouts: "putain, ça brûle!!!", which means "fuck, it's buring hot!!!".
The team gets off the boat before the start, less than 30 seconds before the deadline for all crew to disembark...
Apparently, even in solo, they kept a media man on board.
He says that he messed up his start, which kept his pride in check... He usually makes a point to have a good start...
They had a block holding one of the sheets to bring the line at the correct angle to the winch, that broke. So under the tension, the sheet just cut through one of the bulkheads... You can see it at 2:47.
Then phone call to the team to figure out if this was serious or OK to continue.
You can see him also at night with a flash line checking something on the rudders (I think).

When getting off the boat, one of the crew called him: "Hey Kevin!" He replied, "yeah, what?!". And the crew answered: "Have fun!!!"

And he concludes that yes, he had some fun. Especially when you find the right settings and the boat goes fast effortlessly.

He is happy because even if the weather pattern was better for the leaders to extend their lead, he was able to catch up some; the boat has a big potential.

Last edited:

huey 2

Super Anarchist
syd
1663920535713.png

LeoV

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
First time a see a hatch there :) And two barbecues.
But what a shape to the rudders, Gutelle would be proud. A not well known naval architect outside France, had some anti turbelence ruders in mind and this top shape looks damn like his idea from 30 years ago.

yl75

Super Anarchist
France
These rudders make me think of these insects that have kind of "loose back legs", forgot the name...
And can anybody tell from the "mechanics" part of it, whether one rudder can be driven apart from the other ?
Btw are there two more barbecues on the other side ? :)

allweather

baltic
They looks to be inter connected.
In that case it would be likely that they're permanently toed out to always create a tiny amount of lift and act to stability a very slightly stern heavy trim?
Which would be pretty ingenious for passive control of keeping the stern out without being too unstable and risking nosedives even without wave action.

LeoV

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
Probably you can play with Toe a bit. More Imoca's can do that I presume.
If I look at how strong daggerboard cases are built because lift is powerfull, you wonder how strong the structure is on the rudders of Charal.

Trocola

In the videos of Tour de Groix I could see charal and other with the leeward rudder up and using the windward one. Wonder if it's intentional or they were caught like that after a quick maneouvre.