THE IMOCA thread, single/double handed & TOR

moody frog

Super Anarchist
Brittany
First time a see a hatch there :) And two barbecues.
But what a shape to the rudders, Gutelle would be proud. A not well known naval architect outside France, had some anti turbelence ruders in mind and this top shape looks damn like his idea from 30 years ago.

:)
Although, Leo, Gutelle earned his living as a journalist and new boats analyst. He was more of a scholar than a full-on N.A. (I don't remember that he designed much more than 10 actual boats and very few succesful ones). -To be honest, he triggered huge progresses in keels in the early 1/2 T days- Could he have been ahead of his time ?

LeoV

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
Thanks, interesting. I blame my NA study, they introduced him as NA :) Long time ago, early internet days and before fact checking.
And yes, he was in the list of forward NA thinkers. I have his books, should read them again.

huey 2

Super Anarchist
syd
Corum Keel and foils getting scanned before going back in the water

On the construction side, some news The work took place in parallel in 2 axes: The first, initially planned, to install the new rudders, new sails, optimize the second pair of foils, the ballast system and the ergonomics on board.

1664233050772.png
1664232794182.png

huey 2

Super Anarchist
syd
40 days to go

16 entrants will be at the start in the Rhum Multi category, including Philippe Poupon on Florence Arthaud's former boat. Among the most represented boats, there will be 55 Class40s, 8 OceanFifty (50-foot multihulls), but above all 37 Imocas

Group photo of all entrants
1664234522679.png

Last edited:

Raptorsailor

Anarchist
The sea
Basically Apivia but fat, :) with foils that have a more constant radius than previous generations which will (probably) be even more constant under load, almost as if HB was onto something.... Though I do think the C shaped foils are ultimately a dead end, but It's nice to see there was at least some method to the madness. I think foils will look like this looking forward, as for aspect ratio and foil shape? Fuck knows.
Looks like a good boat with the conservative improvement approach so often seen in IMOCA with the Vendee winners. Having only seen this photo and nothing else, if the skipper is good enough, this boat looks like it could be a real contender. And for the record, I think proper scows like Occitane in the Vendee are a dead end, fat boats with some spoon shaped features/compromise like this are probably the future based purely on instinct. Not sure about the cockpit though.... looks like it hasn't evolved in 10 years... oh wait the windows are bigger.

SSolo

England
Basically Apivia but fat, :) with foils that have a more constant radius than previous generations which will (probably) be even more constant under load, almost as if HB was onto something.... Though I do think the C shaped foils are ultimately a dead end, but It's nice to see there was at least some method to the madness. I think foils will look like this looking forward, as for aspect ratio and foil shape? Fuck knows.
Looks like a good boat with the conservative improvement approach so often seen in IMOCA with the Vendee winners. Having only seen this photo and nothing else, if the skipper is good enough, this boat looks like it could be a real contender. And for the record, I think proper scows like Occitane in the Vendee are a dead end, fat boats with some spoon shaped features/compromise like this are probably the future based purely on instinct. Not sure about the cockpit though.... looks like it hasn't evolved in 10 years... oh wait the windows are bigger.
HB was def onto something with the Rad(ial) Foils in allowing more control in 'angle of attack' within the 4degree rule, they blew the fleet away in the TJV before headsail issues and keel impact - Alex was plain unlucky with the Vendee
The 1st set of HB foils have been retrofitted to another IMOCA and Alan Roura has HB/ Hubot
IF the RdR is the traditional power reach, expect Hubot to do well

[email protected]

Super Anarchist
43 south
HB was def onto something with the Rad(ial) Foils in allowing more control in 'angle of attack' within the 4degree rule, they blew the fleet away in the TJV before headsail issues and keel impact - Alex was plain unlucky with the Vendee
The 1st set of HB foils have been retrofitted to another IMOCA and Alan Roura has HB/ Hubot
IF the RdR is the traditional power reach, expect Hubot to do well
Except that HB was designed to be better controlled running deeper angles in the - even after breaking a rudder and heading for land she was showing good speed. Power reaching will be better suited to more powerful boats. Agree on Alex's luck.

LeoV

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
Here a direct link, Eng translation by google

Let's see what Raison can think off this time regarding daggerboards.

huey 2

Super Anarchist
syd