THE IMOCA thread, single/double handed & TOR

jb5

Super Anarchist
US East Coast
Are you sure?

Those videos are heavily edited, and I am not sure that we can (from our comfortable armchair) really assess the dynamic behavior of the boat. If you look closely, there is not one "scene" in that video that lasts more than 3 seconds.

I would like to see one uninterrupted scene of 15-20 seconds of the boat flying or skimming above water...

Each time the bow starts to raise seriously high, the picture cuts, and we get to another scene... They may have crashed 10 times while filming this video, we would not know it...

I sincerely hope you are right; but I am getting suspicious of this type of video; it is more a promotional tool than a boat improvement/assessment tool.
I don't look that closely and expect you're right.  They will all likely have the same issue anyway.

jb5

Super Anarchist
US East Coast
25 mpg is a really crap car mileage. Flying comes out about the same as driving alone once you take into account take off and landing and assume that people are responsible enough to buy efficient cars.

Anyway zero emission is always better than something.
Wish I could get 25 mpg.... My point being that to throw a working car or any other asset into a land fill to buy a supposedly more efficient one  seems pretty far from sustainability to me. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
Wish I could get 25 mpg.... My point being that to throw a working car or any other asset into a land fill to buy a supposedly more efficient one  seems pretty far from sustainability to me. 
There's so much fucking green washing going on with other than IC vehicles. It's a joke.

Take the hydrogen crap for example - billed as ZERO emissions. And EV's too - depending on how the electricity is generated. For example. burning brown coal is a 'shitty' way to power EV's. But if fuel generation (including hydrogen) doesn't support the green house gas dogma, it's best ignored altogether it seems.

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Apivia and Arkea both look the goods so far in the short video footage of both however it looked like Apivia was foiling easier, although that's just a guess. Early days obviously with the foils being version 1. Can't wait to see the Boss sailing.  (Video footage in Short Handed Thread) 

Panoramix

Super Anarchist
Just start by not buying crap cars and use them till they are finished.

I am in my mid 40s, I've owned 3 cars and all were doing 40mpg or more. Good 1990s cars were doing 40mpg.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chimp too

Anarchist
Europe
Anyone looked into the sustainability of manufacturing and disposal of a Tesla including batteries? Wonder what that is like compared to a standard car?

jb5

Super Anarchist
US East Coast
Anyone looked into the sustainability of manufacturing and disposal of a Tesla including batteries? Wonder what that is like compared to a standard car?
I've often wondered about that as well and read some somewhat 'blue sky' analysis that fail to capture most of the variables..  I've read that they plan to recycle the batteries but then most of these cars are still too new to be in that range yet.  Will some of these manufactures even be around when the time comes to recycle and how many owners will follow the process given that there is one defined somewhere.  most new luxury cars are turned over within 3 years around here so original owner intents are mostly meaningless.  how many end up in land fill after crashes right now. i think with the huge number of variables involved there will be very little in it either way. Marketing BS. reminds me of multi year pay back schemes companies try to push so you buy their products/services. payback cannot be accurately measured, there are way too many changing variables and circumstances

Chimp too

Anarchist
Europe
I've often wondered about that as well and read some somewhat 'blue sky' analysis that fail to capture most of the variables..  I've read that they plan to recycle the batteries but then most of these cars are still too new to be in that range yet.  Will some of these manufactures even be around when the time comes to recycle and how many owners will follow the process given that there is one defined somewhere.  most new luxury cars are turned over within 3 years around here so original owner intents are mostly meaningless.  how many end up in land fill after crashes right now. i think with the huge number of variables involved there will be very little in it either way. Marketing BS. reminds me of multi year pay back schemes companies try to push so you buy their products/services. payback cannot be accurately measured, there are way too many changing variables and circumstances
Add in to the mix that most normal cars use steel and aluminium predominantly for the structure, which is easily recycled and electric cars are more weight sensitive so use composites and plastics more, which are not so easy to recycle and the batteries aren’t the only issue.

Panoramix

Super Anarchist
Some of us actually use our cars to do more than go to the shop
Who needs a car to go to the shops, real men use a push bike.

brittany-onion-johnnies-1-cmp.jpg

Chimp too

Anarchist
Europe
Dead Rabbit started another new thread with this link: 

another video in flat water with good breeze on a reach. We need to see some more than ideal conditions to really see how well these things work. 

Upwind in light airs will be interesting for TOR and any angle in a big sea state as well.

jb5

Super Anarchist
US East Coast
Dead Rabbit started another new thread with this link: 

another video in flat water with good breeze on a reach. We need to see some more than ideal conditions to really see how well these things work. 

Upwind in light airs will be interesting for TOR and any angle in a big sea state as well.
I wonder if this boat will ever be part of the TOR.  Somehow I doubt it. 

Really nice looking boat.  The Macif sailing empire keeps turning them out.

We should be seeing all the TJV promo videos coming out soon.  Really a very good idea to try to keep all things IMOCA centralized here, no need for a thread for each boat.  Same with Ultim.