THE IMOCA thread, single/double handed & TOR

jb5

Super Anarchist
US East Coast
Couldn't get the English translation going on this? He will be up there one would think come race day.......
No my French language skill is about enough for me to understand written and some spoken French most of the time but in no way do I consider myself skilled enough to try to type translations.

If Thomas can get enough funding in time I would think he will be a player.  The boat looks great.

remenich

Anarchist
Switzerland
No my French language skill is about enough for me to understand written and some spoken French most of the time but in no way do I consider myself skilled enough to try to type translations.

If Thomas can get enough funding in time I would think he will be a player.  The boat looks great.
He says funding for thr TJV is fixed, for 2020 and the VG they are in search.

jb5

Super Anarchist
US East Coast
https://voilesetvoiliers.ouest-france.fr/course-au-large/vendee-globe/vendee-globe-sebastien-simon-annonce-un-bateau-au-potentiel-extraordinaire-628097e2-c588-11e9-8f22-7573e5f05098

Sebastien Simon interview. Arkea Paprec. Well worth reading but in French of course and too long to copy a auto translation here. Some interesting views on hull and foil shape and power and the different approaches of the designers of the new boats.

He also talks about enclosed cockpits due to speeds expected although his boat is currently pretty open. They also consider the upwind performance gap to  boats with straight boards to be much smaller or even closed. 

jack_sparrow

Super Anarchist
For TOR this thread three out of three threads is fucking useless (sorry @Fiji Bitter)...just put a few words down to where it belong and to thread consolidate.

Last edited by a moderator:

jb5

Super Anarchist
US East Coast
When does the conference start?
Seems she will be early. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/08/13/climate/greta-thunberg-sailing.amp.html

Ms. Thunberg is taking the year off school. She is scheduled to attend the United Nations climate summit talks next month, speaking at a youth summit on Sept. 21 and then at the main meeting on Sept. 23. She also plans to travel to Chile for the next round of United Nations-sponsored climate talks in December.

mad

Super Anarchist
Seems she will be early. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2019/08/13/climate/greta-thunberg-sailing.amp.html

Ms. Thunberg is taking the year off school. She is scheduled to attend the United Nations climate summit talks next month, speaking at a youth summit on Sept. 21 and then at the main meeting on Sept. 23. She also plans to travel to Chile for the next round of United Nations-sponsored climate talks in December.
Happy that she’s going to make the conference in time, her future trips will be under scrutiny by everybody from now on. 

Shes put herself on a mighty high pedestal now. 

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
Bit of the old co-operative training going on in Port La Foret, France.

Even the old Hugo Boss got involved.

68856765_2571457342907015_960249052664954880_n.jpg

68707109_2571457482907001_108114664826601472_n.jpg

68885333_2571457466240336_8492150208283541504_n.jpg

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
^^ 2nd photo- is that some serious flex on that starboard foil?
Looks to me like that starboard foil hasn't been lowered too far, 321 - unlike the port foil, which looks fully extended. About to gybe maybe?

Otherwise he won't get out of the North Atlantic before that one snaps off, from carbon fatigue!

3to1

Super Anarchist
Looks to me like that starboard foil hasn't been lowered too far, 321 - unlike the port foil, which looks fully extended. About to gybe maybe?

Otherwise he won't get out of the North Atlantic before that one snaps off, from carbon fatigue!
is a high quality carbon laminate that is sound and has some flex built going fatigue like metal? I still think there's some pretty good flex happening on that immersed foil.

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
is a high quality carbon laminate that is sound and has some flex built going fatigue like metal? I still think there's some pretty good flex happening on that immersed foil.
That I don't know, 321. Airbus' new long range A350 jet has fuselage and wings made from carbon fibre apparently, so I hope so. Plenty of flexing going on there one would imagine.

I recall seeing some video footage of the old Hugo Boss ripping along on a broad reach, with her leeward foil tip bobbing up and down none-stop - so there must have been a hell of a lot of flexing in the foil.

Latest posts