THE IMOCA thread, single/double handed & TOR

KMBB

«Good evening everyone,
My Imoca heeled this afternoon shortly after the Trinity Channel exit as we were preparing to navigate with a media on the eve of our Tour de France Microplastiques. A cameraman and three members of my team were slightly injured and transferred to the ER without their condition being concerned tonight. Wishing them a very good recovery. I am obviously psychologically marked because this accident occurred on my responsibility to skipper. The boat is back at the dock and will be out of the water tomorrow for inspection and damage estimate.
We keep you informed.
Good evening,
Fabrice Amedeo»

from Facebook translate. (I don’t read french)

Fiji Bitter

I love Fiji Bitter
In the wild.
My Imoca heeled this afternoon... 

from Facebook translate. (I don’t read french)
Just "heeled over" is indeed what he says, but a bit strange that it would injure his three crew (as well as the cameraman.

My guess is that it involved a boom boom, but still strange that it would necessitate a haul out.

Hoping they are indeed all well, and waiting for more info when he has psychologically recovered.

yl75

Super Anarchist
France
Ok so they grounded exiting the harbour, article does not say at what speed, 8 people on board, 5 got injured, one quite seriously, also water ingress in the hull, so I guess he fucked up the keel junction quite a bit.

Fiji Bitter

I love Fiji Bitter
In the wild.
Ok so they grounded
Ok, so "talonne" is in fact a euphemism for grounding, thanks.

Grounding at anything over 5kn can be lethal, especially when it is a rock. Have tried it myself up to 12kn, and cannot recommend it!

Hugo Boss got away with it, many memorable others did not.

yl75

Super Anarchist
France
Ok, so "talonne" is in fact a euphemism for grounding, thanks.

Grounding at anything over 5kn can be lethal, especially when it is a rock. Have tried it myself up to 12kn, and cannot recommend it!

Hugo Boss got away with it, many memorable others did not.
Not an euphemism, it means hitting the ground just like grounding. The verb is "talonner".

Another article :

https://voilesetvoiliers.ouest-france.fr/bateau/60-pieds/imoca/talonnage-de-l-imoca-de-fabrice-amedeo-a-la-trinite-sur-mer-tous-les-blesses-ont-quitte-l-hopital-c99083c6-c2ba-11eb-a65e-374cff38a16b

It says the bulb is quite fucked up also (the pic is from when it went back in the water).

But everybody out of hospital now.

The article does not say anything about the speed (and Fabrice says he doesn't want to say more at this point)

Last edited by a moderator:

yl75

Super Anarchist
France
By the way, now I understand the confusion :) :

It à Facebook automatic translation issue. The original fb msg said "heeling" auto translated, which is more or less the literal translation of "talonné", as talon is heel in French (the body part). Whereas heeling (the sailing term) is "giter" in French. 

And "talonner" is literally grounding, in marine context. 

As I read only the fb auto translate msg here, was also surprised (thought of some kind of huge heeling stunt à la Alex), and didn't look at fb in French .

And indeed the initial FB post of Fabrice says that they have "grounded" (that is tallonné), and not "heeled" ;) :

Fabrice Amedeo

1itSdlponsiore5hdh  · 

Bonsoir à tous,

Mon Imoca a talonné cet après-midi peu après la sortie du chenal de la Trinité alors que nous nous apprêtions à réaliser une navigation avec un média à la veille du départ de notre Tour de France Microplastiques. Un cameraman et trois membres de mon équipe ont été légèrement blessés et ont été transférés aux urgences sans que leur état ne suscite ce soir d’inquiétude. Je leur souhaite un très bon rétablissement. Je suis bien évidemment marqué psychologiquement car cet accident est survenu sous ma responsabilité de skipper. Le bateau est de retour à quai et sera sorti de l’eau dès demain pour une inspection et une estimation des dégâts.

Nous vous tenons informés.

Bonne soirée,

Fabrice
https://www.facebook.com/FabriceAmedeoNavigateur

Quite funny these automatic translations "side effects" ;)

furler49

Worldwide
I'd be absolutely amazed if Corum sign up for The Ocean Race. The Route du Rhum is as much unfinished business as the Vendee Globe is for Nico and the company are the most French of French companies! 

jb5

Super Anarchist
US East Coast
Something interesting on Apivia

https://www.scanvoile.com/2021/06/secrets-etrave-apivia-imoca-charlie-dalin.html#.YNCyIbHYqbg

Focus on the bottom of the hull of APIVIA, Charlie Dalin's IMOCA second in the Vendée Globe

When it was launched in 2019, APIVIA displayed certain biases. In particular its hull is both light and powerful. Baptiste Chardon, engineer of the team, reveals the secrets of the bottom of the hull of APIVIA.

Strength and weight controlled
On the latest generation IMOCAs, the hull is always made of carbon. However, a debate exists between two schools. The first option is to make a monolithic hull, that is to say made of 100% carbon, " which is more resistant to impacts but also much heavier " explains Baptiste. The second option is what is called the sandwich structure, " that is to say that we superimpose a first layer of carbon, foam or honeycomb and again carbon ", which allows to considerably lighten the boat, and therefore to gain speed.

This choice is far from trivial. “ During this Vendée Globe, as the boats are starting to fly, the impacts are greater than before on the bottom of the hulls. As a result, there were a lot of delamination problems (the action by which different layers of carbon detach from each other) on the sandwich hulls, especially on those made with honeycomb. So much so that for the next IMOCA gauge in 2024, the hull area which is below the waterline and 20 cm above will necessarily be foam, and not honeycomb. It will certainly reduce the difference in weight between the sandwich and the full monolithic. This is an important variable because the weight delta between a full carbon hull bottom and a sandwich bottom hull can be up to 80 kg.

For APIVIA, the design office has chosen to combine the two methods. The areas receiving the most impacts are monolithic; the rest is in a sandwich. A choice of Norman which ensures both strength and a controlled weight.

The design of APIVIA was a team effort, with the conductor Guillaume Verdier, the naval architect from Vannes who has proven himself more than once. Charlie Dalin was not left out either. 

“ By working with Guillaume Verdier, we left the hull of the VO 60, the one-design project for The Ocean Race 2022-2023. Guillaume worked on this boat for 2 years, so he really pushed the subject. As a result, it's a more crew-like hull. We therefore redid studies to adapt it to solo sailing, ”says Baptiste. 

To change the plans of the boat, the team used a CFD supercomputer. “ When we do a study, we cannot do calculations for the billions of possible configurations, it would take decades. So we simplify. We make several drawings of hulls for which we choose four study points. For example, a close-hauled case in strong wind with a heel  of 17 °, a case of reaching at 20-25 knots of speed etc ... Then we pass the drawings into the calculation and we look at the results of drag, for example, on the points defined… and we choose the best option! "

On one side we find the very rounded hulls like that of Charal, and on the other the rectangular hulls like that of Arkea-Paprec or Corum. And this is a very strategic choice.

To fully understand the difference between these two types of hulls, Baptiste reminded us of two or three principles of physics: " Archimedes' tells us that the volume that is submerged is equal to the weight of the boat ". In short, the larger the part of the hull in contact with the water, the heavier the boat will be, and therefore the slower it will be once in motion. "A boat like Charal, for example, is really very rounded when viewed from behind. As a result, when it is flat, there is very little submerged surface, and therefore less drag. However, regardless of the heel, it will always have the same wet surface. Conversely, with a rectangular hull, the submerged surface is very important when you are flat, so it will work less well in this arrangement. However, there is a time when at a certain heel angle you will have less wet surface. Your righting angle will be much greater, and you will have more power. "

The hull of our IMOCA is a bit of a cross of the two options. The design office having sought above all to design the most versatile boat possible.

Assessment after 3 months of Vendée Globe “ Overall, we are satisfied with the result! », Baptiste confides. The fact of shortening the bow a little before the Vendée Globe in particular, had made it possible to hit the waves slightly less. But the hulls of future generations will certainly continue to round off the angles, and in particular those of the rear of the boat, to limit the impacts amplified by the foils.

But even though Charlie and the team drew conclusions from this round the world trip, the hull remains a part of the boat that is difficult to change. “ Last year, when we made a bow modification, we did it over 2.5 meters. And already, 2.5 meters to modify was 2 months of work. So, if we decide, for example, to cut 8 meters of bow, it will take at least 6 months of work. This involves machining a new part, cutting the hull, re-grafting the part, replacing the partitions inside the boat ... It is for this reason that it is often necessary to wait for the arrival of a new generation of monohulls to see drastic changes appear. 

Source: Apivia

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
There are 14 Imoca 60's competing in the up and coming Fastnet Race but I notice there are 2 entries for 11th Hour Racing? Charlie Enright USA112 (Grey) and Simon Fisher USA2300 (Black). So I presume they are racing their new boat which will be interesting to see? New vs Old along with 12 other IMOCA boats

JonRowe

Super Anarchist
Offshore.
There are 14 Imoca 60's competing in the up and coming Fastnet Race but I notice there are 2 entries for 11th Hour Racing? Charlie Enright USA112 (Grey) and Simon Fisher USA2300 (Black). So I presume they are racing their new boat which will be interesting to see? New vs Old along with 12 other IMOCA boats
I read they intended to use both boats with a Charlie / SiFi split for a bunch of shorthanded racing too, TJV etc 

Chimp too

Anarchist
Europe
Hope they have a spare foil, or can get a build started quickly. Short notice to build new ones between now and the start.

JonRowe

Super Anarchist
Offshore.