THE IMOCA thread, single/double handed & TOR

NZK

Anarchist
Roaming
New to me, and certainly good news for the TOR, if he can find some more money!
From that interview it sounds like his focus is the single/double handed IMOCA circuit with TOR as a bonus if he can find extra cash - I guess his main sponsors didn't consider it a priority....

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Anyone know what happened to 11th Hour Racing's 2 boats competing in the Fastnet? There is only one listed now skippered by Simon Fisher Sail No 2300..?

NZK

Anarchist
Roaming
Anyone know what happened to 11th Hour Racing's 2 boats competing in the Fastnet? There is only one listed now skippered by Simon Fisher Sail No 2300..?
I'm going to assume the new boat is delayed coming out of the shed. There's been very little mention of it on their social media, IIRC the anticipated launch date was about now, maybe a little earlier, but it always seemed a very tight window between launch and the Fastnet. 

The old boat is sold so this Fastnet is probably it's last outing as 11th Hour.

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
The Class 40 and the Imoca's will be fascinating in the Fastnet. Can Hugo Boss deliver a win? Or will it be one of the other big name teams? The race is one I am looking forward to and to see the new Skorpios racing for the 1st time.

jonas a

Super Anarchist
I'm going to assume the new boat is delayed coming out of the shed. There's been very little mention of it on their social media, IIRC the anticipated launch date was about now, maybe a little earlier, but it always seemed a very tight window between launch and the Fastnet. 

The old boat is sold so this Fastnet is probably it's last outing as 11th Hour.
There was a recent ig update. Looks like the old boat will change owner after the TJV 

3to1

Super Anarchist
On 7/14/2021 at 10:07 AM, jonas a said:

jesus, almost makes you wonder if the foils on these things are significantly more trouble than they're worth. what a chinese puzzle with no rudder elevators.

btw, anyone seen anything from the poster who calls himself Mad? 

Last edited by a moderator:

JL92S

Super Anarchist
UK
4D3CB3BE-6CEF-4F2B-A78B-53B46552E9EC.jpeg 4B26D8C8-0497-4B95-895F-90BEE31880AB.jpeg

JL92S

Super Anarchist
UK
Looks like a weapon. Hows that for a chine? And the cabin looks a bit like Hugo Boss.? Also that raised area ahead of the coachroof, looks like it's designed to channel water.? 
The chine reminds me of the first Lombard Lift class 40. Cockpit reminds me of a hybrid between Hugo Boss and Apivia. The helm stations look like they’re pushed outboard, I wonder if they will have switched to wheels purely because tillers take up a lot of space. It wouldn’t surprise me if it was a pair of small 600mm carbon wheels

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
The chine reminds me of the first Lombard Lift class 40. Cockpit reminds me of a hybrid between Hugo Boss and Apivia. The helm stations look like they’re pushed outboard, I wonder if they will have switched to wheels purely because tillers take up a lot of space. It wouldn’t surprise me if it was a pair of small 600mm carbon wheels
You are taking some great photos.! Gettin around..?  :D

Nauti Buoy

Besides the fact the roof is covered, the cockpit is nothing like Hugo Boss. HB is pushed as low down and forward as possible, it’s just behind the mast and nearly flush with the deck. 11.2’s cockpit is in the same place as every other imoca they’ve just build a giant coachroof to fit multiple people which is much higher than anything on HB. 

In the design images they released it looked a lot more like HB and had that little stairway to get on deck, but it looks like they retreated from such a radical deck layout. 

Chimp too

Anarchist
Europe
Large forehatch on starboard suggests getting sails on deck through that only. Can’t really see them stacking much to windward of that coachroof, and to windward of that blip leading to the mast is too far inboard. Looks like making sail changes and getting crew on deck will be a pain. Also hope that any helm platforms are high to see the bow from. Suggests to me steering from further forward looking through those windows.

getting sails on deck through the forehatch when on port might be interesting!