THE IMOCA thread, single/double handed & TOR

Chimp too

Anarchist
Europe
Sticking it on a monohull is like lipstick on a pig. The multihull platform is clearly ideal for this approach. You don’t need heavy, highly loaded swinging arms, just a daggerboard with wings on the top.

horses for courses 

Chimp too

Anarchist
Europe
Personally I think the only realistic and simple solution for a monohull is the DSS approach. I do t see anything else getting mainstream 

wildbirdtoo

UK
... and what's happened to Yannick?  Maitre Coq showing as leaving the Solent in the opposite direction....

edited to add.. just checked with his FB page- been in a collision and retired. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Fiji Bitter

I love Fiji Bitter
In the wild.
This seems to be HB's most recent o/b video.

Most of it no sound, Alex doing his usual grinding act, and they are "in high spirits, and in the pack".  :rolleyes:

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Don't think those numbers are right. She may not be showing her best, but I am pretty sure HB would do better than 3.6kts ... 
Hugo Boss is now 86 miles behind Apivia she is effectively last other than 2 very old non foiling Imoca's.! She is also being beaten by Varuna a Ker 56. Believe what you wan't but either the boat is a dog or Alex and Co having a shocker.! 

yl75

Super Anarchist
France
Hugo Boss is now 86 miles behind Apivia she is effectively last other than 2 very old non foiling Imoca's.! She is also being beaten by Varuna a Ker 56. Believe what you wan't but either the boat is a dog or Alex and Co having a shocker.! 
Indeed, hope it isn't the last show for Alex !

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Indeed, hope it isn't the last show for Alex !
I could be wrong but I keep getting the impression he has lost the passion. And I don't blame him really been doing it for a long time and coming 2nd in a Vendee is no mean feat.! They seem as if they are going through the motions. 

Potter

Super Anarchist
It is not what I believe, it is that the numbers are wrong.  Maybe you were looking at straight line numbers or VMG? Plus, of course, you stated the numbers over previous 24 hours, but we are not yet 24 hours into the race, so maybe there is an issue with the maths?  Not denying that HB is looking slow, just saying the numbers are wrong.

Steve Clark

Super Anarchist
X

I could be wrong but I keep getting the impression he has lost the passion. And I don't blame him really been doing it for a long time and coming 2nd in a Vendee is no mean feat.! They seem as if they are going through the motions. 
Grinding Carbon for a week in a hot humid black box hove too in the South Atlantic would give anyone PTSD.

SHC

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
It is not what I believe, it is that the numbers are wrong.  Maybe you were looking at straight line numbers or VMG? Plus, of course, you stated the numbers over previous 24 hours, but we are not yet 24 hours into the race, so maybe there is an issue with the maths?  Not denying that HB is looking slow, just saying the numbers are wrong.
Yeah get that just reporting what the tracker says re 24 hour runs. 

GBH

Anarchist
mostly Oz
Will get the dog label whether deserved or not now, resale 'value' just halved or vanished. Can't see HB staying in the game after this, no results or returns for some pretty serious dosh.

Apivia truly impressive!

jonas a

Super Anarchist
Will get the dog label whether deserved or not now, resale 'value' just halved or vanished. Can't see HB staying in the game after this, no results or returns for some pretty serious dosh.

Apivia truly impressive!
Agree that for resale value, having no results is kind of bad, and they should definitely do the TJV to prove doubters wrong. On the other hand, if we look forward to the next VG, it isn't super obvious what kind of a boat will needed to win. Foil and Sail plan update will anyway be necessary