The kiwis are coming home to roost

Xlot

Super Anarchist
Rome
Prompted by the latest S-W whiny piece, I’m now glad to state that LR was right in proposing a two-month delay for Cagliari ACWS and ETNZ have got only themselves to blame for nixing it.

Consider the facts: Te Aihe is presumably still stuck in Gioia Tauro, being understandably low priority vis à vis the incoming containers of Colombia’s Pride for the ndrangheta (local variant of the mafia).Meanwhile, the virus situation in Sardinia is improving rapidly and is remarkably similar to that in NZ: two days ago, in the Cagliari province there were just two new cases,  20 in hospital (2 in ICU) and 130 home confined

In terms of sailing, it’s not clear if LR jumped the gun, but from May 4 training of olympic/professional sailors will be officially allowed

Now, tell me if it wouldn’t have been much better for ETNZ - and the other Challengers - to stay there and sail happily until the end of Sept

On a related subject, I found it surprising that sailing will be excluded from Level 3, makes one wonder how near the government’s ear the AC really is (compare with Italy). Consider that, as ot was pointed out here, the decision - with the attendant risk - of running the Cup on schedule is essentially political ... also, I understand ther’s going to be an election in Sept ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Xlot

Super Anarchist
Rome
Not hindsight, it’s what LR proposed. Also, it was quite clear the alternative would be just what’s happening now

barfy

Super Anarchist
makes one wonder how near the government’s ear the AC really is (
as i mentioned before...not anywhere near.

now fishing and surfing, 2m from Jacinda's ear.

for good reason, to prevent liberation riots.

in jest of course

Enzedel92

Super Anarchist
Sardinia should have never been cancelled.  It should have been postponed for 2 weeks.

If you took a vote of Italians about whether they would like to see televised AC sailing you would get a resounding YES!

And don’t give me this bullshit about production teams blah blah.  Get one fucking helicopter with 4 people and televise the fucking races.

oh what’s that?  The people will gather in groups on the shore?  Hold it 5 miles offshore and you couldn’t see dick anyway.

Oh what’s that?  Concerned about sailor safety?  They are PRACTICING anyway!  Hypocrisy.  

And don’t even get me started on Portsmouth,  cancelling two months out!!!

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Consider the facts: Te Aihe is presumably still stuck in Gioia Tauro, being understandably low priority vis à vis the incoming containers of Colombia’s Pride for the ndrangheta (local variant of the mafia).
I realize this is a little aside from the larger point of your argument, but: Have you seen the suggestion from anywhere else that Te Aihe is stuck in port GT? Given the imprecise, changing, now even later projections for its return to NZ this does seem plausible but (just curious) is it your idea alone that the boat is in limbo?

rh3000

Super Anarchist
Auckland, New Zealand
Prompted by the latest S-W whiny piece, I’m now glad to state that LR was right in proposing a two-month delay for Cagliari ACWS and ETNZ have got only themselves to blame for nixing it.

Consider the facts: Te Aihe is presumably still stuck in Gioia Tauro, being understandably low priority vis à vis the incoming containers of Colombia’s Pride for the ndrangheta (local variant of the mafia).Meanwhile, the virus situation in Sardinia is improving rapidly and is remarkably similar to that in NZ: two days ago, in the Cagliari province there were just two new cases,  20 in hospital (2 in ICU) and 130 home confined

In terms of sailing, it’s not clear if LR jumped the gun, but from May 4 training of olympic/professional sailors will be officially allowed

Now, tell me if it wouldn’t have been much better for ETNZ - and the other Challengers - to stay there and sail happily until the end of Sept

On a related subject, I found it surprising that sailing will be excluded from Level 3, makes one wonder how near the government’s ear the AC really is (compare with Italy). Consider that, as ot was pointed out here, the decision - with the attendant risk - of running the Cup on schedule is essentially political ... also, I understand ther’s going to be an election in Sept ...
Sardinia may not be comparable to NZ's situation. One area (of many) you'd need to look carefully at is the testing stats in order to determine whether the virus situation is similar.

Fortunately Wikipedia has Sardinia data alongside NZs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_testing

23px-Flag_of_Sardinia.svg.png
 Sardinia        

21 Apr

23px-Flag_of_New_Zealand.svg.png
 New Zealand

23 Apr

Here's what the data shows.

Sardinia has done about 1 tenth the amount of tests, at about half the rate per capita as NZ has. Despite this they have a positive hit rate of 7.8% vs nz 1.1%. It's generally accepted that when the positive hit rate is this high, you are likely missing infected people - Sardinia is likely not testing widely enough. This is a problem because it indicates their cases are likely much higher, but more importantly their ability to control future outbreaks is very limited, unless they start testing much more widely.

Other pertinent questions include, what percentage are contact traced (NZ 100%) and what percentage are community outbreak (NZ %0.02), and how does Sardinia stop importation from other parts of Italy once their lockdown lowers to a level that would have permitted the ACWS?

Xlot

Super Anarchist
Rome
I realize this is a little aside from the larger point of your argument, but: Have you seen the suggestion from anywhere else that Te Aihe is stuck in port GT? Given the imprecise, changing, now even later projections for its return to NZ this does seem plausible but (just curious) is it your idea alone that the boat is in limbo?
No info, just literary flourish :)

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
If you took a vote of Italians about whether they would like to see televised AC sailing you would get a resounding YES!
I think you would find the Italians a wee bit distracted at the moment burying their dead rather than reaching to the ballot box and democratically expressing support for live tv coverage of the AC.

What a completely moronic comment btw you are not related to this guy are you.

5A455EEB-1A6C-4CDE-BEAC-D4B490A80F4A.jpeg

Xlot

Super Anarchist
Rome
  ^ Ha! Thanks for giving me the opportunity to vent off. For two decades I had to endure more or less polite jabs from foreign colleagues - the French mini-raspberry, that taxi driver in Lima .... Italians were the laughingstock of the world - and it culminated in the Bunga Bunga farce, Jon Stewart being particularly lethal.

But now, what a difference does three years make ... it’s not that Berlusconi is Mussolini to Trump’s Hitler, the guy’s 83 by now and out of power he’s sort of harmless in his dotage

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
  ^ Ha! Thanks for giving me the opportunity to vent off. For two decades I had to endure more or less polite jabs from foreign colleagues - the French mini-raspberry, that taxi driver in Lima .... Italians were the laughingstock of the world - and it culminated in the Bunga Bunga farce, Jon Stewart being particularly lethal.

But now, what a difference does three years make ... it’s not that Berlusconi is Mussolini to Trump’s Hitler, the guy’s 83 by now and out of power he’s sort of harmless in his dotage
Yup,Silvio the form cruise ship crooner must be well in need of a prolonged rest after running the Italian economy into the ground and resigning in 2011.

NZL3481

NZL3481
I'm sorry to say but I'm not sure I'd be looking to Italy for leadership on crisis management anytime soon. The last 60 years or so doesn't provide a lot of inspiration...

On a related subject, I found it surprising that sailing will be excluded from Level 3, makes one wonder how near the government’s ear the AC really is (compare with Italy). Consider that, as it was pointed out here, the decision - with the attendant risk - of running the Cup on schedule is essentially political ... also, I understand there’s going to be an election in Sept ...
Yes indeed, hindsight is a wonderful thing. 

Of course... there's no guarantee the borders will be open or that Sardinia will be any more welcoming than any other territory with closed borders right now, Americas Cup World Series or not...  And what would a 2 month deferral have meant for Portsmouth?  And for B2 testing and trialing? And just getting teams and B1's to and from the ACWS venues? Or the million and one other team priorities that most of the rest of us can only speculate about and the timeline some of those _need_ to be on? 

I'm not sure even hindsight necessarily changes ETNZ's position on the decisions re ACWS. Or the position of any other team - aside Luna Rossa perhaps, being that Cagliari is home.

phill_nz

Super Anarchist
internet atm
the Italians have been in lockdown for a long time now

they are still in the top 10 for new cases everyday

somethings not working

not worth the risk of killing your team to get there

( killing in this case meaning the team and not the members .. becoming incapacitated with lung problems will kill the teams )

Latest posts