The kiwis are coming home to roost

Xlot

Super Anarchist
Rome
Whatever - like I said, this is just for the sake of conversation

But then, don’t you (meaning S-W) go out railing against a cruel and unfathomable destiny: the current problems are entirely of your own making, and were easily predictable

Take a page from the Brits: they made the same mistake, but with their famous stiff upper lips they’re not whining

Last edited by a moderator:

Tornado-Cat

Super Anarchist
The italians suffered but will be among the first to finish with it while some countries are in the middle and NZ did not really begin and could eradicate it.

So, if they don't find a vaccine with billion of doses for Feb 2012, will NZ open the country for the AC ? or will CoR/D decide to race the match in Sardinia ?

I know that some will come back with the quarantine, but how realistic is it ?

Wright Way

NZ sort of setting itself up for a very long term problem, no population immunity, cant afford to let anyone in.

A vaccine like what everyone wants is pretty much hypothetical, safe with high effectiveness, rarely happened before why should this be any different?

Current Flu vaccines barely register as effective, certainly not enough to let loose a deadly virus on, and there have been a number of safety issues along the way.

Other recent vaccine experiments have had some questionable results, HPV, SARS.

I would like to see a bit more narrative on treatments as an effective measure too in the absence off a miracle vaccine. There are a number of drugs that seem to help people get through the illness, I think this is realistically going to have to be an acceptable way forward to opening borders.

These sort of viruses tend to mutate to become less deadly, it helps their own survival. Just another flu may not be far off the mark in the long run ( definitely not yet, don't take this the wrong way)

The italians suffered but will be among the first to finish with it while some countries are in the middle and NZ did not really begin and could eradicate it.

So, if they don't find a vaccine with billion of doses for Feb 2012, will NZ open the country for the AC ? or will CoR/D decide to race the match in Sardinia ?

I know that some will come back with the quarantine, but how realistic is it ?
It'll never be raced anywhere but Auckland - at a very simplistic level the northern hemisphere provisions were simply an arm twist on the NZ government to obtain the desired support and infrastructure ETNZ sought.

Not sure about Feb 2012...  ;) but there won't be any vaccine for the masses probably by Feb 2021 either, so that's possiblythe death of live spectators other than NZ'ers and those at the end of a broadcast feed... unless they want to undertake quarantine provisions...

phill_nz

Super Anarchist
internet atm
NZ sort of setting itself up for a very long term problem, no population immunity, cant afford to let anyone in.
the planet is set up for a long term problem

nz,s is just a bit different

they will be working and playing as required when desired

severe restrictions on anyone coming in is a small loss by comparison to the problems the others face

the rest will be bouncing between out for a quick play then back inside while the medical system handles the overload and it gets back down to where they go out and play again

this holds true even if a vaccine is found but its only short term efective and or having covid19 creates immunity for only a short period

both have problems until a long term vaccine or early treatment to cure or mitigate the effects is found

then when the smoke clears

nz is in the enviable position of almost instant normality

the rest have the problem of long term care ( and expense ) looking after all the people with badly functioning lungs, kidneys and a growing number of other organs that appear to be getting damaged during the infection stage .. for both symptomatic and asymptomatic patients

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
No info, just literary flourish :)
Thanks for clarifying but to extend that literary flourish (speculation too): the possibility that the boat is indeed stuck in Porto GT, controlled as you suggest by Mafiosi, does bring up the possibility of bribery; bribery by parties interested in either holding or releasing the boat. 

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
So, if they don't find a vaccine with billion of doses for Feb 2012, will NZ open the country for the AC ?
My guess right now is No. Without a cure and/or a vaccine available very soon from now (highly unlikely) then things like AC36 simply won’t happen until 2 years later or never. Any boat race, ‘AC’ - branded or not, is now at the very, very deep bottom of any respectable person’s priority list.

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
My guess right now is No. Without a cure and/or a vaccine available very soon from now (highly unlikely) then things like AC36 simply won’t happen until 2 years later or never. Any boat race, ‘AC’ - branded or not, is now at the very, very deep bottom of any respectable person’s priority list.
Crikey that scenario would add to the rich tapestry and intrigue of the AC.

AC36 goes down in the annals of time as the Covid19 Cup.

No racing due to lack of cure.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Crikey that scenario would add to the rich tapestry and intrigue of the AC.

AC36 goes down in the annals of time as the Covid19 Cup.

No racing due to lack of cure.
Yes, it’s possible. That, or (incidentally) due to lack of a Challenger and/or a Defender going out to the start line.

Cant see how sporting events of any kind will be included in ‘the new  normal’ without massive changes including to their formats and/or schedules. 

Tornado-Cat

Super Anarchist
Not sure about Feb 2012...  ;) but there won't be any vaccine for the masses probably by Feb 2021 either, so that's possiblythe death of live spectators other than NZ'ers and those at the end of a broadcast feed... unless they want to undertake quarantine provisions...
Yep, 2021!

NZ may succeed to eradicate the virus it's an island and they got the signals early.

I guess Jacinda may accept the teams with quarantine conditions but we know the one person only can bring back the pandemic, who wants to take that risk ? GD ?

Italy will not mind because most of the country will be immunized.

It's a bit more than speculation...
The difference between a brief high-level discussion of the possibility between nations and it actually being implemented is huge.  Yes, I'm sure it will happen.  But perhaps no time soon.  Much water to go under the bridge yet in both countries regardless how well it seems to be going currently.  

Singapore thought much the same a week or so ago.  Japan too.  It's all a measured step at a time...

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
What the fuck are you talking about wine cat? Immunization is obviously not a sure thing. Yur talking out your ass as usual.

FFS
I think Cat in the Hat is pointing to the immunological efficacy of hydroxychloroquine.

rh3000

Super Anarchist
Auckland, New Zealand
FIFY

Italy will not mind because most of the country will have only lost twice as many people in a few months as they did soldiers during the entirety of World War 2*
*Assuming your definition of immunity comes after 60 million people have become infected with a mere 1% fatality rate which would result in the needless deaths of 600,000 people.

Yes, I'm sure Italy won't be "minding" much... fuck me...