The Megabyte thread

lindy911

Texas
I traded for 2017 MB #374 built by Zim. I've had a newer Laser, a new RS Aero and a new Sunfish, all for racing. The MB could use better attention to detail (the centerboard and rudder will NOT go into the trunk or housing without removing the carpet) but overall, it's a very comfortable boat to sail. The only boat more stable is the Sunfish. I have the Mk2 rig with the full batten sail and it works as designed but the mast is a bit too flexy at the top for my liking. I haven't spent much time it it yet and that opinion is subject to change. But I can say that it's a lot more fun to sail than a Laser or an Aero for a bigger guy like me. I don't sail in anything over about 18 so I don't see myself breaking any masts.

John D

Sebastian, FL
Have failures occurred in the same place? An insert for a repair and a little extra material on the O.D. ....who knows.

A little extra weight aloft but if there is no class racing in the area and U enjoy the boat, it could work out.

Great Red Shark

Super Anarchist
Honolulu
I never sailed the boat in big breeze either.  The mast builder took pity on my situation and sold me another top section with a beefed up laminate.  Have only used it once since - frankly,  I'm just gun-shy at this point.

John D,  yes - the mast broke in the same location - geographically and physically.   As in,  all 3 let go while sailing up the Ala Wai and all 3 broke about 4 feet down from the tip.  The coincidence of the break is uncanny. 

But I do agree - when intact it is a very comfortable and fun-sailing boat.

Last edited by a moderator:

CherryPeet

Toronto
Hey all, am trying to determine the handicap rate for the MB MKI. I see a 1060 rating on the US site and 90.6 on the association site. What is the difference. And is there a different rating for both rigs?

thanks!

pieter

Ventucky Red

Super Anarchist
I never sailed the boat in big breeze either.  The mast builder took pity on my situation and sold me another top section with a beefed up laminate.  Have only used it once since - frankly,  I'm just gun-shy at this point.

John D,  yes - the mast broke in the same location - geographically and physically.   As in,  all 3 let go while sailing up the Ala Wai and all 3 broke about 4 feet down from the tip.  The coincidence of the break is uncanny. 

But I do agree - when intact it is a very comfortable and fun-sailing boat.
So from what I am understanding there are two mast for the Megabyte, on for the original rig MK1 and one for the fully battened sail MKII which has more flex.  Do you know what upper section you were using?

Great Red Shark

Super Anarchist
Honolulu
all of the breaks occuring with the Mark 2 sail that I purchased at the same time,  which I've just stopped using - I don't want to buy any more masts.

This one goes and I'm firing up the chainsaw. (kidding,  maybe)

Had it out last weekend (with the 'soft' sail) really a fun boat,  very enjoyable, fast, comfortable.

I'd really like to like it.  If it will let me (reminds me of an Aprilia I had)

Megabyte and Byte For Sale

2011 MegaByte complete with Seitech Dolly, Top Cover, Bottom Hull Cover, Blade Bag, Spar Bag, Sail Bag, Garage Kept and only used 2 times.
2011 Byte CII complete with Dolly, Top Cover, Bottom Hull Cover, Blade Bag, Spar Bag, Sail Bag Garage Kept and only used 8-10 times
2011 Continental Aluminum Single Axle Trailer with Custom Rack For Holding Both Boats, Rack Pads, Tie Down Straps, Spar Tubes with Locking Doors and Spare Tire

Both boats and trailer have been stored inside garage their entire life and are in new condition. Located in South Florida.

Please email for information: [email protected]

Ventucky Red

Super Anarchist
After an almost two-year hiatus from being on the water; yesterday, I got the Megabyte rigged up and launched..  Oye.... it was a disaster but not because of the boat..  Not only do I need to get my sea legs back but my dinghy legs too.. amazing how fast you can get out of sailing shape.  And after the third tip, I figured I was done for the day.

I will say that this is going to be a fun little boat.  The times that I did have her running she was kicking it pretty good...  and planes real quick..

Question on launching, do you let the sail move free, that is not attached to the boom and hook up right before you get underway? 

Xeon

Super Anarchist
England
That’s what I do with my D-zero , that has a halyard lock at the front of the mast . But most people I know hoist the sail with the boom attached. 

Rodairio

Hi all - bought a Megabyte last year and it's amazing. Sad that Zim has stopped supporting it. Anybody know where I can buy a replacement Halyard Sheave? I can't find a perfect match from Ronstan, Allen Brothers and a few other places. I have no idea who made the original sheave. Seems to be about 32mm OD, 7mm wide, and the halyard wire is 3/32" I believe. This is for an MKII rig. Bonus question - anybody know where you can buy a replacement mast when this one breaks, or where one can be made (who made the original?) Thank you all, and if I posted this wrong apologies in advance.

Ventucky Red

Super Anarchist
Hi all - bought a Megabyte last year and it's amazing. Sad that Zim has stopped supporting it. Anybody know where I can buy a replacement Halyard Sheave? I can't find a perfect match from Ronstan, Allen Brothers and a few other places. I have no idea who made the original sheave. Seems to be about 32mm OD, 7mm wide, and the halyard wire is 3/32" I believe. This is for an MKII rig. Bonus question - anybody know where you can buy a replacement mast when this one breaks, or where one can be made (who made the original?) Thank you all, and if I posted this wrong apologies in advance.
As for your mast, contact Forte Spars... that is who was making them for Zim They'll make a 1 piece mast with the luff track, but you'll need to do everything else. Zim has a few upper sections still in stock @ 50% off...

For the mast sheave https://westcoastsailing.net/masthead-sheave-1

Good luck and and this is mine... MKI rig with a Glaser sail..

DSCN0915.JPG

Rodairio

Ventucky Red - Thank you for the quick reply and leads. I ended up ordering a bunch of aluminum, delrin and acetal sheaves from Harken, Ronstad, Allen Bros, Z-Spar, and random ones from RigRite. The one that fit the best was the Allen Brothers A84, an aluminum sheave. It is 28mm outside diameter so slightly smaller than the cheapo plastic sheave it's replacing. It is 8mm wide which fit perfectly, and has a 9mm bore. The machine screw pin/axle is a 10-24 screw so about 3/16" diameter. I was able to find a 5/16" to 10 aluminum spacer, 1/4" long, at True Value, which worked perfectly.

The runner up sheaves were a Harken 303 and a Z-1610 from RigRite. I actually think the best sheave would be a K-8396A4-5 sheave at RigRite, 1.25" O.D., 1/4" wide, 5/16" bore, but it seems to be out of stock.

See attached photo of the A84 sheave with the spacer in it, next to the old hacked up plastic sheave. Plus a picture of my MKII in action with my son.

Thanks again!

20220825_184334.jpg

20220727_171449.jpg

Bill5

Right now
Western Canada
Ventucky Red - Thank you for the quick reply and leads. I ended up ordering a bunch of aluminum, delrin and acetal sheaves from Harken, Ronstad, Allen Bros, Z-Spar, and random ones from RigRite. The one that fit the best was the Allen Brothers A84, an aluminum sheave. It is 28mm outside diameter so slightly smaller than the cheapo plastic sheave it's replacing. It is 8mm wide which fit perfectly, and has a 9mm bore. The machine screw pin/axle is a 10-24 screw so about 3/16" diameter. I was able to find a 5/16" to 10 aluminum spacer, 1/4" long, at True Value, which worked perfectly.

The runner up sheaves were a Harken 303 and a Z-1610 from RigRite. I actually think the best sheave would be a K-8396A4-5 sheave at RigRite, 1.25" O.D., 1/4" wide, 5/16" bore, but it seems to be out of stock.

See attached photo of the A84 sheave with the spacer in it, next to the old hacked up plastic sheave. Plus a picture of my MKII in action with my son.

Thanks again!

View attachment 536739

View attachment 536740
Handsome boat, for sure.

NorthByte

Joined today to have a place where MegaByte stuff gets discussed - since it looks like Zim took down the prior MB class pages. As far as I know I'm the only MB sailor in Alaska - we could use more MB's up here! I'm pretty new to sailing and the MegaByte is my first boat ever, although I've had it for a few years now and it seems like a great boat. Question for the group - I've got the MKI rig, and even after studying the rigging guides posted by Leszak Vincent, I am not quite sure that I'm rigging the vang/cunningham right. Whenever the main is moved outboard the vang runs into the cunningham lines on the same side of the boat and put tension on them. Currently, I run the cunningham hook up to the sail on the starboard side of the mast, with the block and hook just inboard of the starboard vang control line at the deck. It seems that regardless of how I run the cunningham hook up to the sail, the vang lines will run into and tension the cunningham as the boom moves from one side of the boat to the other. Is there a solution to this? (A diagram would be super!) Sorry if this is a dumb question!

Bill5

Right now
Western Canada
Joined today to have a place where MegaByte stuff gets discussed - since it looks like Zim took down the prior MB class pages. As far as I know I'm the only MB sailor in Alaska - we could use more MB's up here! I'm pretty new to sailing and the MegaByte is my first boat ever, although I've had it for a few years now and it seems like a great boat. Question for the group - I've got the MKI rig, and even after studying the rigging guides posted by Leszak Vincent, I am not quite sure that I'm rigging the vang/cunningham right. Whenever the main is moved outboard the vang runs into the cunningham lines on the same side of the boat and put tension on them. Currently, I run the cunningham hook up to the sail on the starboard side of the mast, with the block and hook just inboard of the starboard vang control line at the deck. It seems that regardless of how I run the cunningham hook up to the sail, the vang lines will run into and tension the cunningham as the boom moves from one side of the boat to the other. Is there a solution to this? (A diagram would be super!) Sorry if this is a dumb question!
Can you post a photo?