The Merits of a J9

Some recent J/9 Sailing Shots from Newsletter. Looking Pretty, clean, and simple as promised. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

J Boats is a business. The proof of success or failure is in the order book and annual profit or loss. They work VERY hard to bring boats to market that sailors want and will enjoy. Seem to be pretty successful so far. If you don't like a particular J boat or certain things about it just don't buy one. Little chickenshit comments serve no purpose. As my dear mother always said " if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all ". I believe they have another winner on their hands. Happy Sailing!

JL92S

Super Anarchist
UK
One thing they have done is changed their style to fit into the Euro market by having their designs be IRC focused.
You’re not wrong, I think J boats discovered they could design competitive boats in IRC since the J109 came along and won many of the main regattas in the UK and continues to be one of the benchmark boats. I think a common misconception is that competitive IRC boats create bad sailing boats but I don’t believe this to be the case anymore. 10 years ago it paid to have a big heavy boat with tiny sails to be competitive but now you can have a fast boat, sail it well and win races. Having raced a 112eGP I can safely say they go upwind at pretty much the same pace as a 122 yet still get up and go when the breeze is on downwind. Ratings aside it’s a really nice boat to sail, it just happens to rate 40 points lower than a 122. Besides all this the J9 will probably rate terribly because it has hardly any interior and is very light!

JMOD

Super Anarchist
Netherlands
J/9 is very expensive in Europe due to import tariffs of 25% on the including VAT price of boats. J/9 is not and will not be built in Europe 

Last edited by a moderator:

SailRacer

Super Anarchist
Suark,

If you look at BIRW - Yachtscoring, it looks as if they have the J9 rated at 120 (with no dog in the fight, that area has been known to rate boats lower than 'average').

Today will be the first race day (hopefully) for them and I hope all goes well.

Sail safe!

Suark

NJ
Thank you.  I was assuming it would be a good bit faster than that so I will see how they do at that number.  For whatever reason, I was expecting something around 100 or less based on the J/100 and the J/88 numbers.

jerseyguy

Super Anarchist
Suark,

If you look at BIRW - Yachtscoring, it looks as if they have the J9 rated at 120 (with no dog in the fight, that area has been known to rate boats lower than 'average').

Sail safe!
FWIW

Performance Cruising Non-Spin - Pursuit

sm_none_5.png
  USA 1

Banjo

J 9 Daysailer

Rodney Johnstone 

Wadawanuck

sm_none_5.png
  USA 52687

Venturesome

C&C 110

Bob Zannetti 

SHYC

sm_none_5.png
  USA 2234

Roi Soleil

Canadian Sailcraft/ CS36T

Stacy Aslan 

Centerport Yacht Club/Lloyd Harbor YC

sm_none_5.png
  USA 60141

Veronique

Beneteau First 345

Bert Rubin de Cervens 

Ketewomoke Yacht Club

sm_none_5.png

Finn

Bristol 41.1

Brian Finnerty 

Hempstead Harbor Club

sm_none_5.png
  USA 51229

Meddler

J 29

Peter B Hilgendorff 

YRA of LIS

sm_none_5.png

Ida G

Bristol 35.5

Isaac Halpern 

NYYC

sm_none_5.png

Avventura

Sabre 30

Cristina Pace 

PYC

10/TLE

sm_none_5.png
  USA 246111

Bianca

C&C 35 MK I

David Kalal 

North Cove Yacht Club

10/TLE

10/RET

Foxtrot Corpen

Super Anarchist
Yes... Banjo had a good day.  All bullets.  Family crew...

Crew Info

Name

Position

ISAF

Country

Alan Johnstone

Main Trimmer

Group 3

USA

Katie Johnstone

Pit Assist

Group 1

USA

Matthew Johnstone

Headsail Trimmer

USA

Pam Johnstone

Group 1

USA

Rodney Johnstone

sailman

Super Anarchist
Portsmouth, RI
Suark,

Sail safe!
YRALIS does not do Non-Spin Ratings, so these results are interesting.

Snowden

Super Anarchist
UK
Family crew...

Crew Info

Name

Position

ISAF

Country

Alan Johnstone

Main Trimmer

Group 3

USA

Katie Johnstone

Pit Assist

Group 1

USA

Matthew Johnstone

Headsail Trimmer

USA

Pam Johnstone

Group 1

USA

Rodney Johnstone
yep just a regular family out for a day sail on their new boat  :p

vikram

J Boats is a business. The proof of success or failure is in the order book and annual profit or loss. They work VERY hard to bring boats to market that sailors want and will enjoy. Seem to be pretty successful so far. If you don't like a particular J boat or certain things about it just don't buy one. Little chickenshit comments serve no purpose. As my dear mother always said " if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all ". I believe they have another winner on their hands. Happy Sailing!
it's sailing anarchy - people have opinions....unvarnished ones.  It looks cheap. fun but cheap.