The Naked Beach; Part Deux

MSG

Super Anarchist
Voorheesville,NY
I have a lot of trouble seeing any of the videos and yes, I have updated the Adobe Flash thingie or whatever it is I needed. And yes, I try to hit pause to let it completely download. I finally gave up trying to watch any of them. I'll come up and watch them on your computer. Got beer?

MR.CLEAN

Not here
I have a lot of trouble seeing any of the videos and yes, I have updated the Adobe Flash thingie or whatever it is I needed. And yes, I try to hit pause to let it completely download. I finally gave up trying to watch any of them. I'll come up and watch them on your computer. Got beer?
This hotel has the fastest connection yet, but I'll let you play later tonight. First start video is up, second is up and good action, third is crazy, I couldn't stop filming even after five minutes of boats getting pummeled in the break.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Nice. Tonight is our first drinking night - we finally finished (mostly) that huge project and now it's fucking on. Bring your helmet.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Here is the final start video - 6 minutes of some mighty good sailors getting pounded by water and sand. I am going back to sleep, then waking Mer up so she can drive me north while I get wrecked on this cheap Irish vodka I bought, if you can believe that (Boru)

If the video is jumpy, press pause and let it load for a few minutes before watching - it's a 60 MB file.

T-Yacht

O2878
Here is the final start video - 6 minutes of some mighty good sailors getting pounded by water and sand. I am going back to sleep, then waking Mer up so she can drive me north while I get wrecked on this cheap Irish vodka I bought, if you can believe that (Boru)
If the video is jumpy, press pause and let it load for a few minutes before watching - it's a 60 MB file.
Clean,

When you wake up. It might be a good day to interview some pushers especially the ones for the teams that punched through the surf early. They are a important part of this race and it might be fun to get the perspectives from the good ones.

-Nathan

dingram

That was tough to watch Clean... thanks for the vid.

MSG

Super Anarchist
Voorheesville,NY
Last boat made it through the surf and are headed north. The other boat is loaded onto the trailer headed north. And soon, I guess I have to get my shit together and head north as well.

You're on for the drinking tonight Clean.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Man is it nice to not have to work. On something else! We made our way along A1A to flagler and stopped for a cheeseburger at a roadside sweet shoppe, and came down to the water to see if they'd passed by yet. TV3 was just passing. By romping in the swell at 12+ knots and we're behind the fleet!

hannibalhouse

Hey Mr. Clean

Mischa gets a 40 minute penalty for "entering the exclusionary zone" but no penalty for failing to round a mark of the course. And you are our silent reporter on the beach, chatting up the women. Let's see some on camera interviews with Chuck, Mischa and the other competitors. Can you choose which marks to round (or not) in the Tybee 500? It is so unlike you to ignore problems like this.

catman vb

Hey Mr. Clean
Mischa gets a 40 minute penalty for "entering the exclusionary zone" but no penalty for failing to round a mark of the course. And you are our silent reporter on the beach, chatting up the women. Let's see some on camera interviews with Chuck, Mischa and the other competitors. Can you choose which marks to round (or not) in the Tybee 500? It is so unlike you to ignore problems like this.
The SI seem a bit "wishy washy", but if you do not sail the course, then you should be DSQ.

I was once DSQed in the Rolex Cup, particularly the Around St John's Race, because I rounded the wrong mark. This missing of the mark shortened my distance around the island by about 200 meters. We finished the race well over an hour ahead on corrected time and even more on elapsed time, however we did not complain. The course is the course and you should sail the same course as the others.

The organizers of the T-500 should consider that they could loss any right to sail in the area.

What do the other readers think?

rjmoorejr1

Hey Mr. Clean
The SI seem a bit "wishy washy", but if you do not sail the course, then you should be DSQ.

I was once DSQed in the Rolex Cup, particularly the Around St John's Race, because I rounded the wrong mark. This missing of the mark shortened my distance around the island by about 200 meters. We finished the race well over an hour ahead on corrected time and even more on elapsed time, however we did not complain. The course is the course and you should sail the same course as the others.

The organizers of the T-500 should consider that they could loss any right to sail in the area.

I think Mischa made a mistake, was assessed a penalty as the race organizers saw fit, and that's the end of it. Was the penalty fair? Who knows... but it was their call. As for Clean, he's interviewed Mischa and others, and there sure as hell isn't anything wrong with chatting up the women on the beach as long as he posts the videos of it!

Nacraphiliac

Texas
Hey Mr. Clean

I think Mischa made a mistake, was assessed a penalty as the race organizers saw fit, and that's the end of it. Was the penalty fair? Who knows... but it was their call. As for Clean, he's interviewed Mischa and others, and there sure as hell isn't anything wrong with chatting up the women on the beach as long as he posts the videos of it!

Ha! This reminds me of one of RTI races a number of years back. Heading west toward Pensacola, we were supposed to stand well out to sea of Hurlburt AFB but the shore breeze was much better so most of the leaders were within a mile of shore. There was some dinky little powerboat with a blue flashing light that looked as if it had been stolen from a K-Mart and a cheesy little bullhorn siren buzzing around yelling at people but there was 40-50 cats and only one of him. I sure wasn't going to alter my proper course for this numb nut.

Right about then, this Minuteman-type rocket blasts off the restricted base and screams out into the gulf right overhead.

Fifty catamarans tacked in perfect unison like one big marching band.

hannibalhouse

To the Noob:

#178345 - Today at 01:46 PM Re: TYBEE 500 HOTLINE [Re: Cary Palmer]

Mary

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH... As far as I personally am concerned, I think that not going around any of those required marks should mean disqualification from the race, regardless of whether the reason for shortcutting is ignorance or arrogance.

Until this year, there was only one required mark in the Key Largo Steeplechase, and that was at the Key Largo Sheraton. We always had spotters at the hotel to make sure all the boats rounded it. If a boat skipped it, that boat would be disqualified from the race. And that mark was just required for publicity purposes for one of the race sponsors.

A required mark is a required mark, no matter what the reason. It should not be something that can get off with a time penalty. There is no way to assess a penalty for something like that in advance in the rules, and anything assessed after the fact is going to be arbitrary, and unfair to others in the race.

Disqualification is the only proper verdict, and it should be in the rules. But that's just me, and I am old school, from the years that when you hit a mark, and nobody saw you, you dropped out of that race and requested a DSQ.

I'll leave it to other SAers to give the Noob the traditional welcome.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
I'll see what Mischa has to say about the mark. The reason the rules are somewhat open is because the remedies are a moving target arrived at by the grand poobah. That's just the way it is.

Funny little vids loading from our chase along the way. Boats aren't far now, trucking. We saw maybe four boats offshore south of Jax beach with kites, a bunch more close to shore two-sail reaching. Speeds are up, the thermal is in, and the surf is manageable. And as soon as I get these vids up, I'm going down to the tiki bar to get a drink and wait for the boys and girl. Mer told me that I can't survive on one hour of sleep, and I pulled a line from Roadhouse on her: "I'll get all the sleep I need when I'm dead."

Mischa and Carrie aren't tracked, the tracker shows Trey ahead right now. Go the Anarchy Challenge!