The Naked Beach; Part Deux

AlStorer

Super Anarchist
Cambridge
Clean- when you were hanging around in Cocoa beach for ages, could you not at least have tried tracking down everyone's "favourite" local resident, and dragged him to the beach to show him what sailing actually is?

Other than that- fantastic stuff so far.

rjmoorejr1

To the Noob:

#178345 - Today at 01:46 PM Re: TYBEE 500 HOTLINE [Re: Cary Palmer]

Mary

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH... As far as I personally am concerned, I think that not going around any of those required marks should mean disqualification from the race, regardless of whether the reason for shortcutting is ignorance or arrogance.

Until this year, there was only one required mark in the Key Largo Steeplechase, and that was at the Key Largo Sheraton. We always had spotters at the hotel to make sure all the boats rounded it. If a boat skipped it, that boat would be disqualified from the race. And that mark was just required for publicity purposes for one of the race sponsors.

A required mark is a required mark, no matter what the reason. It should not be something that can get off with a time penalty. There is no way to assess a penalty for something like that in advance in the rules, and anything assessed after the fact is going to be arbitrary, and unfair to others in the race.

Disqualification is the only proper verdict, and it should be in the rules. But that's just me, and I am old school, from the years that when you hit a mark, and nobody saw you, you dropped out of that race and requested a DSQ.

I'll leave it to other SAers to give the Noob the traditional welcome.
I guess I come from a more laid back generation... Isn't sailing a race, especially one as long, drawn out, and involved as this supposed to be about fun and loving sailing? Why DSQ someone for an infraction that was penalized and isn't going to cause some great change in the grand scheme of things? Just my thoughts, you may dump on the n00b if you feel the need... :)

MR.CLEAN

Not here
First Nacra 20 to the beach - go Anarchy Challenge!

SANY0005.JPG

SANY0004.JPG

MR.CLEAN

Not here
From the Tybee site:

Seacats White just called us and reported a broken rear beam. They're limping the boat to the finish - hopefully. We've got em about a mile and a half from the finish

I just saw the boys from TVS3 - blew out their gudgeon at the start, bent it back, lost their kite halfway through, powered through and ar here before sunrise. Nice!

And TCDYC fcking rocks! Way to go Chris and Aaron! :ph34r: And I can honestly say I've crewed with both! Gotta love south Texas beach cat racing ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

MR.CLEAN

Not here
17 boats are in, and I'm on my third vodka at the tiki bar. Shitloads of video loading now...
Clean, after all is said in done, I want your honest opinion of offshore, long distance beach cat racing. I get the impression you've never really experienced the fun before :)
Oh, you'll have it Sunday night no doubt. Truth is I have read up on the Tybee/Worrell and spoke to a number of participants before coming down here, so I knew what to expect. What I didn't know was just how much more in common the race has with a Baja 1000 or a 5-break-in-5-day surf tour than any kind of sailing I've ever seen. The folks are chill, the racing excellent, and the whole scene is so much more about the people, the friends, fixing broken shit, hanging out with your bros until 2 AM waiting for more bros to land, and getting drunk.

This is a lifestyle like all of sailing, but here it's just more obvious.

17 boats are in, and I'm on my third vodka at the tiki bar. Shitloads of video loading now...
Clean, after all is said in done, I want your honest opinion of offshore, long distance beach cat racing. I get the impression you've never really experienced the fun before :)
Oh, you'll have it Sunday night no doubt. Truth is I have read up on the Tybee/Worrell and spoke to a number of participants before coming down here, so I knew what to expect. What I didn't know was just how much more in common the race has with a Baja 1000 or a 5-break-in-5-day surf tour than any kind of sailing I've ever seen. The folks are chill, the racing excellent, and the whole scene is so much more about the people, the friends, fixing broken shit, hanging out with your bros until 2 AM waiting for more bros to land, and getting drunk.

This is a lifestyle like all of sailing, but here it's just more obvious.
My bad, apparently you DO understand ;) Welcome to our world. See you in Texas?

So, been watching this all week. (Great job Clean as always). I am hooked, sign me up. I am seriuosly going to look into this. Here is the question........F18 or 20. It seems the 18's are kicking the snot out o' the 20's why? Besides crew that have sailed together and all. Is it a better boat. Common sailing sense says waterline and sail area are king. Not in this case.

I await your valued input! :)

PL3

LIS
Alan &Mer

Fucking breakthrough media!

You finally got to the heart of this insane gig

rock on brother

here

SCARECROW

Super Anarchist
Melbourne, Aus
So, been watching this all week. (Great job Clean as always). I am hooked, sign me up. I am seriuosly going to look into this. Here is the question........F18 or 20. It seems the 18's are kicking the snot out o' the 20's why? Besides crew that have sailed together and all. Is it a better boat. Common sailing sense says waterline and sail area are king. Not in this case.
With the f18s having been more than competitive here you'd be insane to go N20. Along with this style of racing the F18 also offers large national and international fleets (worlds capped at 160 teams) and the ability to choose your ride and gear from a range of suppliers.

Next tybee will have more f18s than N20s mark my words.

Tcatman

Super Anarchist
Chesapeake Bay
With the f18s having been more than competitive here you'd be insane to go N20. Along with this style of racing the F18 also offers large national and international fleets (worlds capped at 160 teams) and the ability to choose your ride and gear from a range of suppliers.

Next tybee will have more f18s than N20s mark my words.
Or the Nacra 20's will get a modern chute and decent main sail from a quality sailmaker.

The F18's should only have an advantage when it's blowing 15 or more.... the problem is the rig is just dated.

both boats weigh about 400 lbs carry crews of 340 to 400 lbs and are 8.5 feet wide. The 20's should have an advantage in the light stuff... but they can't sail the same angles up the coast.