The Naked Beach; Part Deux

MSG

Super Anarchist
Voorheesville,NY
From the Tybee site:
Seacats White just called us and reported a broken rear beam. They're limping the boat to the finish - hopefully. We've got em about a mile and a half from the finish
From the Tybee site:

"They didn't have a broken rear beam, the beam ripped the glass it was bolted to right out of the hull"

ouch.

MauganTornado

Super Anarchist
Or the Nacra 20's will get a modern chute and decent main sail from a quality sailmaker.
The F18's should only have an advantage when it's blowing 15 or more.... the problem is the rig is just dated.

both boats weigh about 400 lbs carry crews of 340 to 400 lbs and are 8.5 feet wide. The 20's should have an advantage in the light stuff... but they can't sail the same angles up the coast.
Before I get a "modern chute" I'd just like a chute that doesn't fall apart twice in one friggin race.

*sigh*

Nacraphiliac

Texas
So, been watching this all week. (Great job Clean as always). I am hooked, sign me up. I am seriuosly going to look into this. Here is the question........F18 or 20. It seems the 18's are kicking the snot out o' the 20's why? Besides crew that have sailed together and all. Is it a better boat. Common sailing sense says waterline and sail area are king. Not in this case.
I await your valued input! :)
With the f18s having been more than competitive here you'd be insane to go N20. Along with this style of racing the F18 also offers large national and international fleets (worlds capped at 160 teams) and the ability to choose your ride and gear from a range of suppliers.

Next tybee will have more f18s than N20s mark my words.
Or the Nacra 20's will get a modern chute and decent main sail from a quality sailmaker.

The F18's should only have an advantage when it's blowing 15 or more.... the problem is the rig is just dated.

both boats weigh about 400 lbs carry crews of 340 to 400 lbs and are 8.5 feet wide. The 20's should have an advantage in the light stuff... but they can't sail the same angles up the coast.
The 20's eat up the f-18's if its light and dead down wind. Each year at the Great Texas, early on the 20's stretch out huge leads. But then, as the breeze comes up, they get driven to shore despite heroic efforts to carry the chute as long as possible. The F-18's, sailed hot and aggressively gybing within a 2-3 mile band, start to eat them up. With both out and strapped in against the inevitable trips down the mine shaft, the newer wave piercing hulls are like riding a rail. It then becomes the most crazy fcking rodeo you ever experienced as you try to find the fine line between boat speed and judgement. I typically err on the side of boat speed.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
A few of my crappy pics:

1 - The entire fence around the pool was draped with hundreds of items of clothing last night, all night.

2 - Hottie patrol...Mer and Dana

3 - From behind :)

SANY0020.JPG

SANY0031.JPG

SANY0032.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Hey Harry - I see you on the thread - Do you have any comments about all the Team Velocity kites falling apart? Really a crappy situation, and I hope you do right by them. These guys plan for a year for this event, and to have something like 9 kite failures on new kites that totally screwed most of the TVS boats race completely sucks. Comments?

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Just learned that all N20 teams were advised to take an extra kite this morning - that just doesn't happen in this race. Reason is the defective spinnakers that so many of the Nacra 20s have had to deal with.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
We just took a short detour through the cool little town of Amelia Island, GA. Quqint and historic, a mishmash of colonial and beach construction, the island has the distinction of being the only US city ti have been under control of 8 different flags throughout its history.

Bigger news? We got a boat for the finish leg. Thanks to SAer kznz7 or something, we're hopping on a 21' center console boat at the savannah yacht club, then headed out the sound next to little tybee. Finally, some on-the-water footage in otw anarchy!

hannibalhouse

Here's THE START!
And here's that LONG interview with Chuck Bargeron. Worth listening to, as he talks about NASA, homeland security, and the difficulty of figuring out the right penalty for infractions.
OK, I listened.

The RRS require a scoring of DNF for failure to properly round a mark of the course. There is no debate about whether Mischa failed to properly round a mark of the course. He earned a DNF. All of the hand wringing over whether he deserved a "discretionary" DSQ for penetrating the "exclusionary zone" misses the point. Enforce the RRS. You (Chuck) adopted the RRS, now simply obey them. It might even convince Homeland Security that you have control of the race.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Note to self; at 90 mph, the subaru burns much more fuel than at 80. We literally rolled into the Mobil in richmond hill as the car sputtered to a stall.

And now we are headed into the teeth of a monster squall!

catflyer

Mr. Clean, Big kudos on your coverage! You have added a whole other dimension to following the race! Love the interviews! You've gotten to most of the fleet, except my team Accelerated Chaos. You have done a wonderful job though so you are forgiven. This is my favorite sporting event of the year, and I follow it religiously. I really hope you will be back next year! Thanks, Brian

Latest posts