• The Forum will be unavailable on March 27, 2023 from 8:AM to 12:00 PM EST for maintenance.

The Ocean Race 2023 leg 2: Cabo Verde to Capetown

yl75

Super Anarchist
France
regarding data there is also the "data icon" (bottom icon on the left), DTL and speed over 24 quite interesting, overing over a boat in the list highlights the curve

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
As predicted yacht.de has gotten a hold of Will Harris to ask him about the damage

The main points:
  • Will has found a thin tear in the foil during a routine inspection
  • Because of this they had a closer look and found some other small damages
  • One damage is small delamination at the rear edge close to the bearing
  • This is the same spot they reinforced before the start, so probably too little reinforcing
  • They are checking the foil every 2 hours but believe it will not worsen if they don't adjust the foil. Until now the cracks have not widened
  • They expect only little impact on speed, at maximum 5%
  • If the damage increases they will retract the foil to make sure it stays repairable in Cape Town as they don't have a replacement
He also said some general stuff about the race:
  • They are optimistic since the boats are all really close and the conditions for the rest of the leg should favour Malizia (stronger and downwind)
  • The boat was an oven in the Doldrums
  • They will go south of the SH-High, there are multiple possible routs right now, as south as 45°
  • They have started rationing the food and are running out of toilet paper
This still smells for their campaign IMO as the other teams with new boats don't seem to be having these problems. They shouldn't be happening IMO.

In the meantime Team Guyot have kept their cool and are doing very well. I thought Holcim would have overtaken them but that's not the case. Still plenty of minefields to go though so this is a fascinating race.

Broadside

Is it just me, or is the tracker no longer showing 4hr, 12hr and 24hr average course, speed and VMC? Used to show up by hovering over a boat. Now nothing.
Depends which Browser you're using. Safari isn't working, Chrome is, for example.

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
@Herman
"DutchSail" has been invited by America's Cup Organizers to participate in the Youth & Women's AC in Barcelona 2024 which might explain why they did not get another TOR Campaign off the ground.

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
The Final about 2,900 Nautical Miles to Cape Town seem very complicated.

According to a Cape Town Media Guide published by Race Organizers the newest ETA is February 10-11.

The Ocean Race Live Park in the V & A Waterfront opens Wednesday February 8th.

sunol

Anybody know the name for this thing that is not the Doldrums, but is looking bigger than the Doldrums and is currently making the fleet do Doldrum like things? Is this the Brazilian Thong? Lower Intestinal Pressure?
1675439623724.png

Enjoying following this race and really liking the videos. In particular, I really like the coed crews- such a great idea. And as all us guys know, whenever a members of the opposite sex are aboard, our behavior changes....for the better.

Another GIGANTIC improvement with the vids is having the sailors all speak English. Especially appreciate it on the boats that have all (or mostly all) crew from non-English-speaking nations. I guess this is a nod to us Yanks, who for the most part not as linguistically capable as non-American sailors (including moi- my French is terrible and I have a lot of trouble understanding French when spoken rapidly). My expectation is this will greatly increase American interest in following the race- the quality of the video productions is excellent, especially compared to previous races.

climenuts

Anarchist
PNW
Enjoying following this race and really liking the videos. In particular, I really like the coed crews- such a great idea. And as all us guys know, whenever a members of the opposite sex are aboard, our behavior changes....for the better.

Another GIGANTIC improvement with the vids is having the sailors all speak English. Especially appreciate it on the boats that have all (or mostly all) crew from non-English-speaking nations. I guess this is a nod to us Yanks, who for the most part not as linguistically capable as non-American sailors (including moi- my French is terrible and I have a lot of trouble understanding French when spoken rapidly). My expectation is this will greatly increase American interest in following the race- the quality of the video productions is excellent, especially compared to previous races
English speaking event and sponsors. The Vendee will still be French.

Latest posts