The Ocean Race 2023 leg 2: Cabo Verde to Capetown

minca3

Surprisingly frank video from 11th hour racing, you can sense the frustration after ripping their J3:

nogetwe

I watched various crew members on different boats prepare their "meals" with the boiling water into a bag process so when I read Boris had burned himself I was not totally surprised as the set ups seemed dicey and I one case, someone's entire meal flew out of her hands and onto another crew member; also this Is not the same boat Boris sailed on, alone, in the VG. That said, while accidents do obviously happen it would seem obvious that the potential risk should have been foreseen and avoid with better prep area.
I sailed on a charter boat with skipper and mate once. First rule in the kitchen: at sea, when cooking anything, always have your foulies on (trousers). Seems like the IMOCAs should add boots to that idea, maybe even put on all the gear and wear gloves. Rosalin mentioned that even putting a spoon in your mouth can be a challenge at times.

giegs

Super Anarchist
Cooking related burn injuries are a major risk factor for evacuation in remote settings. It's surprising to learn there's not more attention paid to it on such sophisticated boats. Easy thing to improve on whatever is currently in place. I'd be interested to know if any changes are made before this leg.

Herman

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
Another preliminary weather routing with GFS 10 days (green isochrones) and climate plugin (purple isochrones) after that. WW3 waves. 3 hr timesteps. Routing still 18 days something, so bring enough food. And bring the oars too. Bcs there is a huge area with low pressure predicted around the ITCZ.

See for instance in pic 2 on Monday when the 2012 hPa isobar lines to the north and south of the ITCZ are a whopping 1.300 nm apart. AFAIK the last VG (or was it the VOR) they were steaming through like there was no ITCZ. Not this time. Red arrow is the projected location of the IMOCA @110 polars just east of the St Peter and St Paul Archipelago.

Average boat speed of 12 kts projected, and a max wind 18 kts so bring sunscreen and get a tan.

Initial weather routing leg 2 v240123.png

Isolines 1300 nm apart.png

Laurent

Super Anarchist
Houston
Cooking related burn injuries are a major risk factor for evacuation in remote settings. It's surprising to learn there's not more attention paid to it on such sophisticated boats. Easy thing to improve on whatever is currently in place. I'd be interested to know if any changes are made before this leg.
It happens even to cruisers....

Herman

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
The very big picture on Jan 25th

Pic 1 has input with 2 overlays;

1. NOAA sat image infrared NWS color Atlantic. Colors indicate cloud temperatures. Inverted overlay. Colors indicate higher (and colder) cloud tops.
2. Marinha do Brasil South Atlantic Sea Level Pressure chart. A nice synoptic map which I will use more in the coming leg.

Situation
1. a HP zone above Cabo Verde, the start. Not much pressure or wind (a handfull of knots).
2. ITCZ activity plotted by the Brazilian navy as an orange band/lines between South America and Africa between 0 and 10 degrees latitude.
3. Lots of normal cloud activity at the west coast of Africa above the ITCZ. Avoid if possible as this unstable air has a higher CAPE too. Indicating (unstable) higher enery levels with possible thunderclouds if CAPE is high enough (say > 2.500 j/KG). CAPE is not something to watch though for the coming week, according to GFS projections. Levels are <2.000 j/KG between Brazil and Africa.
4. The stable St Helena High can be seen bottom right marked "A" with a pressure of 1026 hPa.
5. A stationary front can be seen from Brazil with LP zone marked "B" and 1006 hPa towards the SE Atlantic.
6. Behind that front is a LP zone (looks like a storm) moving east in the coming days see the "B" with 994 hPa.
7. Pic 2 has also GFS wind barbs added. Wind will veer a bit below the Cabo Verde in the coming day.

This leg should be a masterclass in light wind sailing.

The big picture 25-01-23.png

The big picture 25-01-23 including GFS wind 09 UTC.png

Fabricensis

Routing still 18 days something, so bring enough food.

According to FAZ.net Team Malizia only packed 18 days of food for the first 2 legs, at the start 22 days were expected

First leg was bit more than 5 1/2 days for TM, so another 18 1/2 days brings the total to 24 days. They would be 6 days short...

I'm assuming there will be a massive buffet prepared by the onshore team in Cape Town

Herman

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
In case you missed the announcement, in less than 4 hours

Live start coverage now available on YouTube.com/Eurosport
All options including Eurosport 1 channel with a pre show @ 17:30 UTC to watch the start =>

Leg 2 of The Ocean Race is scheduled to start at 18:10 UTC (17:10 local time in Cabo Verde) on Wednesday afternoon.

In most of Europe and many parts of Asia, you can watch the start live on Eurosport or Eurosport 1 beginning at 17:30 UTC, and live or on demand on the Eurosport Player or Discovery+.

Today, our friends at Eurosport have announced they will open the coverage worldwide on their YouTube channel at https://www.youtube.com/@eurosport/streams.

This stream will be embedded in the homepage of www.theoceanrace.com.

Live streaming coverage starts at 18:00 UTC.

In Europe, live coverage on Eurosport 1, www.eurosport.com and the Eurosport App starts with a pre-show at 17:30 UTC / 18:30 CET.

Source https://www.theoceanrace.com/en/how-to-follow

Yeah, I watched it. It wasn't great. No drones or helicopters, just footage from a boat, and from onboard, with the commentary and some stuttering graphics. Not too breezy, so mostly easy sailing, nothing dramatic. But they all got off, no damage, so all good for them.

Chasm

Super Anarchist
You can feel the money squeeze in the production.

How about showing an overview of the racecourse near the start? All that talking about the back and forth but no visualization of it. Scrubbing through the Eurosport YT recording the only time any course stuff was shown was in the intro, during the legs around the world animation.