The Ocean Race 2023 leg 3: Capetown to Itajaí, Brazil

And speaking of media - anyone who doubts the work required to put out content like what we saw from TM - haver a look at the latest from 11th Hour - pretty shocking - must be having a tough time, hope they rally before the finish.
Website, LinkedIn, FaceBook, Tik Tok, Instagram for the team and each of the crew members (plus the team director and some of the shore crew), heavy YouTube - hat's off, it's very professional work that can draw in more sponsors for the race and all of the teams.
1680450031580.png

Last edited:
This just came up from Biotherm.

Bummer.

Had me scared, I thought they were throwing in the towel for a second. Having to go stop now would be a MAJOR PITA for them to make it in time for next leg but thankfully they have the most favorable outcome in this unlucky situation.

I have to say there's something very unnatural and off-looking about this frame which involves a flame the size of my arm inside a boat lol:
1680455980454.png

Had me scared, I thought they were throwing in the towel for a second. Having to go stop now would be a MAJOR PITA for them to make it in time for next leg but thankfully they have the most favorable outcome in this unlucky situation.

I have to say there's something very unnatural and off-looking about this frame which involves a flame the size of my arm inside a boat lol:
View attachment 583629
Yeah, I didn't like that either. Fire at sea = bad. I don't have a better idea for a heat gun with the watts needed to work carbon and resin though.

1680456195937.png

Uhm, Biotherm took 25 miles away from 11th Hour since this morning. I don't wanna start getting too excited because a meteorological clusterfuck is coming up within the next 24 hours, but I like where this is going.
It's hard to tell who's position I like most at the moment due to the aforementioned chaos incoming, but my eyes and ears are wide open on this one.

Yeah, I didn't like that either. Fire at sea = bad. I don't have a better idea for a heat gun with the watts needed to work carbon and resin though.
Yeah, you can't really have the electrics to run a heat gun, and I like the idea of an obvious flame coming from an object that you always handle with caution more versus searing-hot metal shooting out scorching air that's only on so rarely you'll end up assuming it's cold.

Fiji Bitter

I love Fiji Bitter
In the wild.
I unreservedly apologize to the hundreds of easily offended snowflakes on this thread for thinking that Malizia had slowed down because the much loved Rosalin was changing the tampon on her head wound.
I must be blind because she was in fact putting in her contact lenses.

I'm also happy to report that she is looking forward to the next leg, and that she will make sure to be ready for it.

Last edited:
View attachment 583631

Uhm, Biotherm took 25 miles away from 11th Hour since this morning. I don't wanna start getting too excited because a meteorological clusterfuck is coming up within the next 24 hours, but I like where this is going.
It's hard to tell who's position I like most at the moment due to the aforementioned chaos incoming, but my eyes and ears are wide open on this one.
Looks like east offshore will get more wind in the coming 24 hours, which should mean 11hr was in a better position out there, but their current course may be trying to put themselves between the competition and the finish line to avoid surprises, even if it is ultimately slower.

I unreservedly apologize to the hundreds of easily offended snowflakes on this thread for thinking that Malizia had slowed down because the much loved Rosalin was changing the tampon on her head wound.
I must be blind because she was in fact putting in her contact lenses.

View attachment 583633

I'm also happy to report that she is looking forward to the next leg, and that she will make sure to be ready for it.
I won't not give more attention to the doubling down of the unsavory comments or the attempt to pass it off as if you meant something else.

Interesting she chose to still wear contacts on an ocean race. I have been on a few boats where the contact lenses person had issues with their contacts and ended up virtually blind for the rest of the race because you can't really flush things out with water and so on. I've personally written off using contacts offshore because of the problem potential.

Any offshore contact lense wielders in here?

Looks like east offshore will get more wind in the coming 24 hours, which should mean 11hr was in a better position out there, but their current course may be trying to put themselves between the competition and the finish line to avoid surprises, even if it is ultimately slower.
Agreed, but the high pressure zone will move east, I believe fast enough to cut 11th Hour off.

giegs

Super Anarchist
Thanks to everyone who has made following this leg so informative and enjoyable. It wouldn't have been nearly as much fun without your contributions, especially on weather routing and tactics. The rough start had me a bit ho-hum for a while, but any low expectations set there were well exceeded.

grandsoleil

Switzerland
I agree, but it still doesn’t explain why 11th isn‘t much faster then my 5 knot shitbox…

Even when still missing 1st reef, there must be something else? Anybody heard anything?

I won't not give more attention to the doubling down of the unsavory comments or the attempt to pass it off as if you meant something else.

Interesting she chose to still wear contacts on an ocean race. I have been on a few boats where the contact lenses person had issues with their contacts and ended up virtually blind for the rest of the race because you can't really flush things out with water and so on. I've personally written off using contacts offshore because of the problem potential.

Any offshore contact lense wielders in here?
I've worn them pretty often, successfully. The only problem I had was the morning after the night we arrived after Annapolis-Newport. The next morning my sight was fuzzy, and I tried again and again to get my contacts out of my eyes after sleeping in them. Scuffed my eyeballs for about 30 minutes.

We had won our class by a minute or two after constant trimming in light air for something like 13 hours. There had been ...celebrations. And I had forgotten that I had taken my contacts and stashed them in paper cups before hitting the rack the night before. Ouch. 😁

Last edited:

Tark1

France
Amazing effort. Must have put more pressure on the crew being 1 down for a while as well. Can't believe how well they look at the end.
Being first in a yacht race is easy, crossing the line first is more difficult.
Thanks to all the people that take their time to contribute the weather routing and technical aspects.

I've worn them pretty often, successfully. The only problem I had was the morning after the night we arrived after Annapolis-Newport. The next morning my sight was fuzzy, and I tried again and again to get my contacts out of my eyes after sleeping in them. Scuffed my eyeballs for about 30 minutes.

We had won our class by a minute or two after constant trimming in light air for something like 13 hours. There had been ...celebrations. And I had forgotten that I had taken my contacts and stashed them in paper cups before hitting the rack the night before. Ouch.
Yeouch :(
Shall I expect to see you on the starting line of the Ana-Newport this year?

SA Podcast

Sailing Anarchy Podcast with Scot Tempesta

Sponsored By: