The Ocean Race Leg 5: Newport RI to Aarhus DK

Herman

Super Anarchist
The Netherlands
249B9BF4-164E-41C0-920A-F348FCF1AF17.jpeg
So HPRB second and Team Malizia 3rd as expected

Broadside

This leg took 7.5 days, although admittedly with very good conditions

Someone tell me again why it is double points?
I was wondering the same thing. Not sure what we gained from double points on this leg - and now the spread on the results table is such that it's realistically a two boat event for the remainder of the race. (Perhaps it always was!?).

ET1

Anarchist
Germany
I was wondering the same thing. Not sure what we gained from double points on this leg - and now the spread on the results table is such that it's realistically a two boat event for the remainder of the race. (Perhaps it always was!?).
Perhaps it always was? Like from Capetown to New Port?

ET1

Anarchist
Germany
You should always remember that to finish first you first have to finish. And like Kevin said after the dismasting: This is a technical sport and technique may fail. That´s part of the game.

Fiji Bitter

I love Fiji Bitter
In the wild.
You should always remember that to finish first you first have to finish. And like Kevin said after the dismasting: This is a technical sport and technique may fail. That's part of the game.

Would have to look up those comments in French to see if he puts all the blame on the supplied parts.
Kevin would probably accept that as a highly educated engineer, he is ultimately responsible for even the parts he did not design or construct.
That´s part of the project.

Last edited:

Fiji Bitter

I love Fiji Bitter
In the wild.
Hermanus said:

So HPRB second and Team Malizia 3rd as expected.

I thought all the Malizians expected to pass the wounded Holcim, after they caught up a lot.
With 4 and 3 points behind the 2 leaders, it's getting virtually impossible to win.
There must be quite a few disappointed fanboys, it's eerily quiet here.

Last edited:

Schakel

Dayboat sailor
Hermanus said:

I thought all the Malizians expected to pass the wounded Holcim, after they caught up a lot.
With 4 and 3 points behind the 2 leaders, it's getting virtually impossible to win.
Exactly,
Good thing Boris Herman lost. He mistreated Rosalin Kuiper IMHO.

Chasm

Super Anarchist
This leg took 7.5 days, although admittedly with very good conditions

Someone tell me again why it is double points?
So that nobody gets any ideas to repeat the long Southern Ocean leg?

Or more likely to make the last part of the race potentially more interesting as a huge amount of points is still up for grabs before the last leg. A final chance to mix up the leaderboard.

Mrnogen

Hermanus said:

Fan of the team but agree with your assessment, virtually impossible without breakages &/or serious changes in form for Biotherm (possibly GUYOT if they rejoin).

Fiji Bitter

I love Fiji Bitter
In the wild.
How wrong you are! Europe LOVES to see Americans win. Especially arrogant ones like Charlie E. They root for us!

I noticed the sarcasm font, but you are still confusing me.
There are 4 European boats in the race, and 1 American with an admirable sponsor, who saved the race from a near death. Their skipper comes across as arrogant, but that is mainly some insecurity, the pressure he is on, and indeed some arrogance that is a way of live of many yaahties. This is also his 3rd RTW Race, after 2 very difficult ones, and a difficult start in this one. I'm not rooting for anyone in particular, but if 11th Hour wins, they win deservedly and I'm happy for them.

But I was talking about the Malizian fanboys, who include some dirty old arrogant Mericans actually.
Malizia's TikTok approach is sometimes a bit over the top, but times are changing, and they certainly have delivered, even though they will not win.

Oh, and I'm still not sure what your point was, perhaps because I'm a bit of an arrogant European yaahtie too.

Rennmaus

Super Anarchist
And here the many interviews and B-rolls:

11th Hour Racing Team (USA)
Charlie Enright (USA) - Skipper - Interview in ENGLISH
Simon Fisher (GBR) - Interview in ENGLISH
Justine Mettraux (SUI) - Interview in FRENCH
Justine Mettraux (SUI) - Interview in ENGLISH
Charlie Dalin (FRA) - Interview in FRENCH
Charlie Dalin (FRA) - Interview in ENGLISH

Team Holcim - PRB (SUI)

Kevin Escoffier (FRA) - Skipper - Interview in FRENCH
Kevin Escoffier (FRA) - Skipper - Interview in ENGLISH
Abby Ehler (GBR) - Interview in ENGLISH
Charles Caudrelier (FRA) - Interview in FRENCH
Charles Caudrelier (FRA) - Interview in ENGLISH
Sam Goodchild (GBR) - Interview in ENGLISH

Team Malizia (GER)

Boris Herrmann (GER) - Skipper - Interview in GERMAN
Boris Herrmann (GER) - Skipper - Interview in ENGLISH
Will Harris (GBR) - Interview in ENGLISH
Rosalin Kuiper (NED) - Interview in DUTCH
Rosalin Kuiper (NED) - Interview in ENGISH
Yann Eliès (FRA) - Interview in FRENCH
Yann Eliès (FRA) - Interview in ENGLISH

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
Yes, I agree: The Overall Race is probably lost for Team Malizia. They would need to win the next two Legs with Holcim 2nd and 11th Hour 3rd + they would need Biotherm and GUYOT to make the Start Line.

SA Podcast

Sailing Anarchy Podcast with Scot Tempesta

Sponsored By: