Nacra  AUS

Mens Windsurfer NED

Womens Windsurfer CHN

49er  NZL

Women 470  GBR

Men 470 AUS

Laser AUS 

Laser Radial .....not sure , NED 
49er medal race will be exciting. 3 boats within 4 points of each other in a double scoring race..

GBR women 470 have sailed into a 1 point lead for the first time in the regatta.

My pick in Nacra is not going to get Gold or Silver and moving up one spot to Bronze is a tall order.   But I could not be happier for Gimson, who is certain of a medal and hopefully keeps silver. Its been a long road for a nice guy.

On a more somber note,  where are our US team hopefuls?

We dont have a single medal prospect. 

We're just trying to get into medal races.

In 6 classes we failed to get a boat into the medal race at all. In the mens windsurfer we qualified to finish 9th overall. In the Nacra class we have qualified in 9th.  

In the two remaining 470 events we lie in 9th place in the womens (after a fantastic 8th race) and 11th place in the Mens

At best we will scrape into 4 medal races and we face the prospect of 9th being our best finish.

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
I think the Germans will get a Medal in the next few Days. I dunno which one but I think they will make one. I certainly hope so. They deserve it.

Steveromagnino

Super Anarchist
Strange because I’ve never seen it done at the international events I have attended. I now realize why-the 2021 rules cut the allowable weight in half, which makes it more likely that standard equipment is illegal, and less likely that it was even a concern before!

I do understand the dry vs. wet thing, certainly at this level, but this rule applies to amateurs too. Generally we aren’t trying to carry extra equipment weight as that slows down tacks and gybes
In the Finns back in 1984 I remember Russell Coutts had to have everything weighed similar situation because Finn sailors (my dad included) all used to wear these big wet wool clothes they could soak and get extra weight; if over a certain limit with a certain protocol to weigh, they would get chucked out; Coutts was right on the limit but was ok after a 2nd weighing from memory.  Same year he had tons of boils on his butt.  Not sure why I remember this stuff. 

Rules are the rules; there's a limit, if you say you can be over then everyone will be over to the new limit then (e.g. limit 2kg but no penalty unless more than 10% over, so everyone then has harnesses 2.2kg).  They are probably not a few grams over when they sail in breeze; they are quite a bit over, and have some time before weighing wet to drain so they optimise their equipment for that.  I'm sure they all know very well what they are allowed and not allowed and have checked it; they chose to be very close to the limit and sometimes that doesn't always work if you are over you 'pay the price'.

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
The apple did not roll far from the tree. Martina Grael may win this for Brazil.
She did but I am so impressed with the Germans. They win SILVER. It's the 1st Sailing Silver Medal since Sydney 2000 when German Sailing Icon Jochen Schuemann lost the Final to Dane Jesper Bank in the Soling Class.

barney

Scott turned back after the start to clear an OCS. Replay shows he might not have been over. About a minute before the finish, Scott was a couple of places down in the order, hence second overall. What a race!

Last edited by a moderator:

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
Seriously good stuff by German Sailors this morning! I had hoped for one Medal but never imagined 3. It's our best Olympic Campaign since Sydney 2000 when we won two Silver Medals and one Bronze Medal. Today we won one Silver and two Bronze.

The German Sailing Association needs to milk this success now. Maybe get a German SailGP going!

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
I also have to congratulate "British Sailing". You are Legends!

Seriously how you dominated the Finn Class over the last twelve years is just mind-boggling in my opinion.

2008: Ben Ainslie

2012: Ben Ainslie

2016: Giles Scott

2020: Giles Scott

Looks like Mills/McIntyre will win Gold tomorrow in the 470er Class as they have a 14-Point lead over 2nd placed France.

GBR will be once again the Nation with the most Olympic Medals in Sailing from Tokyo.

maxstaylock

Anarchist
Fantastic racing, well done to the hosts and the race management team, great job by the media production team, and of course all the competitors and support staff, it's fair to say that this cycle of the games has been even more of a personal sacrifice for all involved than a usual Olympic cycle. Humbling to see the bar inching higher, the sport has no higher pinnacle to stand on.

So, remind me again, what is the premier singlehanded sailing event in Paris?  Some kind of foiling tray thingy?  is it the one where the sailor holds the mast?  Or the one where he flies a kite thing?  Don't tell me it's the childs 70's fun dinghy formerly known as Laser?  I'm lost.

EYESAILOR

Super Anarchist
US best finish in the sailing Olympics thus far is 9th .  We have not come within sniffing distance of a medal in any class. Failed to even qualify for the Medal round in 7 out of 10 events,scraping into the medal round in 9th and 10th in 3 events. 

This is the US worst performance of all time.

This is only the 2nd time since 1936 that we have failed to win a single medal.  In 2012 (considered a disaster) we failed to win any medals but we were in the hunt in womens match racing and qualified in 5 events. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Couta

Super Anarchist
Australia
US best finish in the sailing Olympics thus far is 9th .  We have not come within sniffing distance of a medal in any class. Failed to even qualify for the Medal round in 7 out of 10 events,scraping into the medal round in 9th and 10th in 3 events. 

This is the US worst performance of all time.

This is only the 2nd time since 1936 that we have failed to win a single medal.  In 2012 (considered a disaster) we failed to win any medals but we were in the hunt in womens match racing and qualified in 5 events. 
So...how much is the US spending? AUS dropped $8m a year on its high performance team...so that's $40m for 2 Gold medals....reckon GBR might've dropped even more.... The Lympix is an arms race!