The official 2021 Tokyo Olympics thread

dullers

Super Anarchist
Englandshire
I just hope the Olympians enjoy the Golden-Gai, and give Kabukicho a wide berth! The Roppongi scene will be lively, but it always is. A Nigerian weightlifter has already gone AWOL to test his luck in the underground employment market. 
His height will give him away.

EYESAILOR

Super Anarchist
So...how much is the US spending? AUS dropped $8m a year on its high performance team...so that's $40m for 2 Gold medals....reckon GBR might've dropped even more.... The Lympix is an arms race!
I dont think that more money would have an immediate impact. First we have to have the talent pool and pipeline of talent to spend the money on.    An Olympic campaign would need to be seen as a desirable and rewarding thing to do with one's life......and it is just not perceived that way.

Malcolm Page recognized that and he had a dream of creating exciting exit strategies for Olympians where they would be seen as valuable assets for people looking to hire competitive, smart and driven people.  Money while you sail and good career prospects afterwards.  It has not panned out that way.  

Last edited by a moderator:

barney

I think i watched most of the nacra 17 races on tv, but i've only seen maybe one "good" foiling gybe. This boat must be really difficult to sail. Good thing is that a bad gybe is not as costly as it would be on a foiling dinghy.

martin 'hoff

Super Anarchist
Miami
I think i watched most of the nacra 17 races on tv, but i've only seen maybe one "good" foiling gybe. This boat must be really difficult to sail. Good thing is that a bad gybe is not as costly as it would be on a foiling dinghy.
I suspect the risk/benefit just isn't there -- I don't think they even try. On the risk side, count not only pitchpoles/capsizes but also broken bones, severe cuts.

Foiling Optimist

Super Anarchist
Vancouver BC.
Couldn’t get the video but followed the results of the Finn Medal race. Must have been a hell of a race. Zombie won and almost took Scott‘s Gold. 
Thank you CBC, I've never watched so much sailing in my life. Yes the Finn race was awesome as first Berecz only took the lead going into the last mark rounding and it was completely unclear until after most of the boats were on the last leg that Scott was high enough up to keep the gold.

SimonN

Super Anarchist
Sydney ex London
49er medal race came down to the last gybe. Germany could probably have stayed on starboard and even won the race, luckily the spanish didn't overhaul them from further down the fleet
Maybe they gybed because they knew the rules. GBR had an overlap from way out and once inside the 3 length circle, had right of way. They had no option and could not have stayed on starboard unless they went behind the Brits which would have meant they missed the finish. They could have gybed onto starboard a bit earlier so the cross happened outside the circle and the Brits might have needed to avoid enough to give the Germans a win, but would have risked both GBR and NZ getting through and probably losing the medal, so what they did gave them the best chance of a medal. They sailed well.

Ncik

Super Anarchist
2. Seriously, Irelands trapeze was 0.09 of a kilo overweight? That made no difference to their race results ......a warning would have sufficed....or a 5% penalty which the jury awarded to TUR for a mast that was 70 grams too light. .   The other boat was 0.3 kilo overweight.....also negligble....but their shore team should have checked.
There was a report that the jury/officials did the test a number of times for those team and those overweights were the smallest numbers achieved. Hard to be sympathetic of a clear stuff up by the competitors and their support team, whether deliberate or not. Rules are rules.

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
The Men's 470 Race ended with Australia winning GOLD, Sweden winning SILVER and Spain winning BRONZE. New Zealand missed out by two Points on a Medal.

So, Peter Burling & Blair Tukes SILVER Medal are the only Sailing Medal the Country gets.

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
Anybody know what the actual rule against team racing is in the 470s?  It was a bit drop for GB to call from 2nd to behind Poland.... but then shit happens and they had Gold in the bag...
I didn't see any team racing. GB were trying to keep themselves between France & Poland and the finish all the way round. Israel got past them and then at the last mark Poland had the inside. GB could have pushed more at that point it is true (or so it seemed from the less than ideal camera angle to me) but as far as they were concerned all it would do is risk a protest. So they did the sensible thing and played safe

The Main Man

Super Anarchist
Blighty
I didn't see any team racing. GB were trying to keep themselves between France & Poland and the finish all the way round. Israel got past them and then at the last mark Poland had the inside. GB could have pushed more at that point it is true (or so it seemed from the less than ideal camera angle to me) but as far as they were concerned all it would do is risk a protest. So they did the sensible thing and played safe
I agree. It looked to me like GER pushed GB high previously so they had no choice but to duck behind at the mark. Nothing to gain and much to lose by doing it on purpose.

I'm not saying they did. I'm just looking for what the actual rule is and this what the French have to prove. No joy finding it so far.

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
I'm not saying they did. I'm just looking for what the actual rule is and this what the French have to prove. No joy finding it so far.
Sorry, I hadn't realised had protested on that at the time. There used to allegations that the soviet athletes did it, that was one factor behind there now being at most one entrant per country. But I think as far as rules are concerned you'd have to protest under the fundamental rule of fair sailing.

But I think that was a very much a longshot of a protest

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
Quite an Olympic Regatta for British Sailing

E77tCmHWUAA5xW4

They will leave Tokyo with 3 Golds, 1 Silver and 1 Bronze Medal!

Mozzy Sails

Super Anarchist
United Kingdom
I guess it's between Tokyo and Beijing as the best ever GBR sailing performance. Beijing we had an extra gold, but then we also had womens keelboat, star and tornado which for tokyo were replaced by just the FX. 

I think this Olympic has been more impressive as, although the lead up has been hampered for everyone, it really did seem like we didn't have any nailed on medal favourites. 

Dylan and Stu, although very good bet for medal were outsiders against NZL. Giles hadn't really had any form since returning post America's cup. I would have argued Gimson and Burnett were a better gold prospect than these two ahead of the games. Probably only Hannah and Eilidh were favourites, but only slight favourites. 

Silver for the Nacra is a pretty fair result for where they've been during the Olympiad.  Then the Bronze for Emma Wilson was a bit of a surprise as she's been thereabout, but never on the podium before. 

I think the kiwi team will be disappointed. They had five pretty solid medal contenders, probably the strongest NZL Olympic sailing team ever, but only came away with one silver. Burling and Tuke have seemed invincible and covid kind of neutralised some of their AC disadvantage in that their competitors weren't really racing in 2020. Then you would have hoped for maybe 2/4 to medal from Josh Junior, Sam Meech, Molly and Alex and even the 470 men. But maybe this is where covid had more impact?