The Other Boat

Editor

Administrator
Staff member
carlsbad
With all this AC horseshit going on, and some of the other regattas that get our attention, we sometimes forget about some other very cool stuff happening. Here's a bit...

Dean Barker has the Archambault built M34 boat number one on order and we understand that Archambault have 10 orders in total at this point and a production target of 5 boats a month with first one due in the water in April 2010. The M34 will race the tour in 2011 and there is talk of a transatlantic race.

Said Barker (translated): "I found the M34 project in the Salon of La Rochelle. I was immediately impressed by the strict one design, the characteristics of the vessel itself and the browser program that is very motivating. In July 2011, I would race the initial round of the Tour with my friends with the "Nexus Dean Barker Team." Team New Zealand has already participated in two editions of the Tour de France Sailing and we keep very good memories, in addition, the arrival of this new boat will motivate everyone."

One thing which may be of interest is that estimated charter fee for the tour is around Euro 30k ($45k) and a total budget of $175-$300. As an owner one can buy the boat and either charter it to make that income or race the boat and see the majority if not all of the campaign costs covered by sponsorship, with of course the assumption that sponsorship could be found!

So for the sake of comparison, would you choose an M34 with the tour/revenue possibilities, and the excitement of a brand new design, or a Melges 32, with established fleets and great buoy racing?

barker_m_34.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Magilla

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Is Nexus the Original Equipment supplier of compasses and instruments of the M34 by chance? That may have influenced Deans purchase....

Jambalaya

Super Anarchist
Hamble / Paris
M34 and Tour V for me

Magilla - possibly, but I've not heard anything about that - IMHO NKE would most likely be the front runner should Archambault have signed an exclusive agreement

Magilla

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Even when Dean Barker is a shareholder of Nexus?

I've done two TDV's and agree it is a fantastic event.

pulpit

Super Anarchist
With all this AC horseshit going on, and some of the other regattas that get our attention, we sometimes forget about some other very cool stuff happening. Here's a bit...
Dean Barker has the Archambault built M34 boat number one on order and we understand that Archambault have 10 orders in total at this point and a production target of 5 boats a month with first one due in the water in April 2010. The M34 will race the tour in 2011 and there is talk of a transatlantic race.

Said Barker (translated): "I found the M34 project in the Salon of La Rochelle. I was immediately impressed by the strict one design, the characteristics of the vessel itself and the browser program that is very motivating. In July 2011, I would race the initial round of the Tour with my friends with the "Nexus Dean Barker Team." Team New Zealand has already participated in two editions of the Tour de France Sailing and we keep very good memories, in addition, the arrival of this new boat will motivate everyone."

One thing which may be of interest is that estimated charter fee for the tour is around Euro 30k ($45k) and a total budget of $175-$300. As an owner one can buy the boat and either charter it to make that income or race the boat and see the majority if not all of the campaign costs covered by sponsorship, with of course the assumption that sponsorship could be found!

So for the sake of comparison, would you choose an M34 with the tour/revenue possibilities, and the excitement of a brand new design, or a Melges 32, with established fleets and great buoy racing?
Do you think that the Editor put this in the wrong place or not ?

It's a nice looking boat, Performance lead belly even, But sports boat ?

I don't think so.

So what do we need to do to turbo this thing to make it a sports boat ?

I think that it could go to weight watches and lose a 500 Kg's or more and how about adding a extra meters of sail area to the Asso like say 30 - 50 m2.

Pulpit

Jambalaya

Super Anarchist
Hamble / Paris
M34 and Tour V for me
Magilla - possibly, but I've not heard anything about that - IMHO NKE would most likely be the front runner should Archambault have signed an exclusive agreement
Debated here at length for those who can read French : http://www.tribormat.fr/post/2009/12/01/po...tenez-le-libre/

In a nutshell: NKE is not offered as an option (only B&G or Nexus)

C.
Thanks - I'll start struggling through it ! Can you buy the boat bare of electronics ? Would hope so. I have NEXUS on the 105 and whilst the maxi displays are great I am not so keen on the rest. B&G overpriced (or perhaps not if there is a deal)

GybeSet

Super Anarchist
yes

looks a bit like a offshore racer ta me, no sportsboat

so the answer is clear

if you race offshore it's the OR

inshore the steroided SB type

bclovisp

Ici
M34 and Tour V for me
Debated here at length for those who can read French : http://www.tribormat.fr/post/2009/12/01/po...tenez-le-libre/

In a nutshell: NKE is not offered as an option (only B&G or Nexus)

C.
Thanks - I'll start struggling through it ! Can you buy the boat bare of electronics ? Would hope so. I have NEXUS on the 105 and whilst the maxi displays are great I am not so keen on the rest. B&G overpriced (or perhaps not if there is a deal)
It's apparently a done deal for a Nexus "one-design" bundle, around 5000 euros.

class blog (in french): http://www.association-m34.com/

builder blog (in engrish): http://www.m34.eu/index.php?lang=en

C.

Jambalaya

Super Anarchist
Hamble / Paris
Clovis - thanks for the info and link

5,000 Euro is a lot for NEXUS electronics - I paid way less for NEXUS kit - interesting to see what the deal is ?

bclovisp

Ici
Clovis - thanks for the info and link
5,000 Euro is a lot for NEXUS electronics - I paid way less for NEXUS kit - interesting to see what the deal is ?
Maybe Dean B. provides personal coaching to all class members as part of the package... ;-)

Sorry, no more info.

A3341

I don't know much about the Melges 32 but I'd probably try to sail one instead of the M34 if I had the opportunity.

Why? Nobody really knows how good and fast the M34 will be and it's quite a pity since it was clearly stated in the the designer contest rules to chose the new tour de France's boat that the boat should have been an existing one, such as the JPK 998.

It seems that there were political reasons behind the choice of the Archambault's design and I think that things are going the same way with electronics. In the class's blog Daniel Souben clearly states that nobody really asks the racers/potential owners about their opinions on the subject.

At the contrary the Melges 32 class appears (from the outside) to be well managed with what seems to be a lot of involvement from all the stakeholders.

So it will be great to sean Dean Barker racing in France but it would be even better if it was not in exchange of an exclusive contract for his company.

Jambalaya

Super Anarchist
Hamble / Paris
I don't know much about the Melges 32 but I'd probably try to sail one instead of the M34 if I had the opportunity.
Why? Nobody really knows how good and fast the M34 will be and it's quite a pity since it was clearly stated in the the designer contest rules to chose the new tour de France's boat that the boat should have been an existing one, such as the JPK 998.

It seems that there were political reasons behind the choice of the Archambault's design and I think that things are going the same way with electronics. In the class's blog Daniel Souben clearly states that nobody really asks the racers/potential owners about their opinions on the subject.

At the contrary the Melges 32 class appears (from the outside) to be well managed with what seems to be a lot of involvement from all the stakeholders.

So it will be great to sean Dean Barker racing in France but it would be even better if it was not in exchange of an exclusive contract for his company.
Melges and Archambault are different boats - cannot see you doing a transatlantic race on the Melges

Don't know where you heard that the boat had to be an existing design - the JPK was designed for this competition and it was built - the other two Archambault and the Coutts designs were not built prior.

Business is business re Nexus and Dean - personally I am not in favour of a restrictive one manufacturer rule on electronics (this is not decided yet)

A3341

Hi there,

Below are two links to get news of the M34 on her first sail:

Pics: http://www.m34.eu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=37%3Ale-m34-numero-1-navigue-&catid=1%3Acategorie-pages-principales〈=fr

Youtube video:

Interesting to see the boat branded as Batistyl, as were the A35 and A40 from the yard that sailed under IRC in France. Thought it was going to be all Nexus.

I'd like to see the boat sail again a farr30 during the next tour de France à la voile and cross fingers to see it happen!

GybeSet

Super Anarchist
atefooterz said:
So this thread with AC star personell about a fast leadmine & chit chat about the AC + Ocean Racing is still in "Sportsboat Anarchy" BcoZ ????

......... Tiz "SA" of Course :p
well .. ain't SA it's SBA

and that is a heavy keelboat

get rid of it

A3341 ... reality check, it's 34 feet for FS, WTF has that got to do with a sportsboat ?

it's replacing another fixed keel boat, but larger and heavier

Magilla

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
So that must make a Class Libera and a Richards 36 boat a real leadbelly shitter because they're way too long....

While you're pushing the M34 out the door, why don't you keep going?

Latest posts