The Other Day the music died

Great Red Shark

Super Anarchist
Honolulu
To remember the radio announcing that a chartered Convair CV 240 had gone down with Lynrd Skynrd aboard..

"Sweet home Alabama,  Play that dead band's song

Turn those speakers up full blast,  play it all night long."

- W. Zevon

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
As a Northerner, I far prefer Free Bird to Sweet Home Alabama.  The lines "Now Watergate does not bother me.  Does your conscience bother you, tell the truth." are so ludicrous as to be pure nonsense.  Actually the rest of the song is pretty ridiculous too, Neil Young's Southern Man is far superior, Lynard Skynard failed miserably with their rebuttal in my opinion.

EDIT:  I realize that the Lynard Skynard's song was a response to Young's Alabama as well as Southern Man.

Anyway RIP Ronnie, Steve, et al.  

Last edited by a moderator:

Great Red Shark

Super Anarchist
Honolulu
Oh,  I'm not going to get into the whole Southern-Rock and Confederate flag thing,  just...well,  the event was a moment of my youth - a band we listened to was suddenly gone - an event that would re-occur often,  unfortunately.

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only."

Charles Dickens nailed it, he could have been talking about the US in the mid 60s-mid 70s.  I came of age (born in 1955) in those turbulent times.  Some of the best rock music ever made came out of that turmoil, I am glad I got to grow up with it.  "Tin soldiers and Nixon coming, we're finally on our own, this summer I hear the drumming, four dead in Ohio."  58,000 American soldiers.  Buddy, Otis, Jimmy, Janice, Jim, and on and on...

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
Oh,  I'm not going to get into the whole Southern-Rock and Confederate flag thing,  just...well,  the event was a moment of my youth - a band we listened to was suddenly gone - an event that would re-occur often,  unfortunately.
Yep, whatever you think of their politics or their culture, Lynyrd Synyrd could jam. They were awesome.

- DSK

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
Yep, whatever you think of their politics or their culture, Lynyrd Synyrd could jam. They were awesome.

- DSK
Yeah and think what you will about Hitler, he gave us the Volkswagon and the autobahn, not to mention what was probably the worlds greatest urban renewal project, ever.

I apologize for invoking Godwin's Law but Steam Flyer made me do it!  I agree that those Southern boys could jam.  

"Angel of darkness is upon youStuck a needle in your armSo take another toke, have a blow for your noseAnd one more drink fool, will drown you"

PuffyJman

Super Anarchist
panhandle fla
 I heard at interview years ago on Howard stern with one of the Van Zandt brothers in regards to that plane crash apparently he left the crash scene to find help and stumbled up on a farm in Mississippi and was shot by the farmer because in his words  he said he look like  Charles Manson with long straight hair and blood all over his face.  In the interview he claims still be good friends with the farmer to this day. I wish I could post the interview but I’m posting from my phone. 

Cal20sailor

Super Anarchist
Detroit
Simple Man will always be my favorite.  

My memory is that the drummer with a broken back crawled a few miles for help and is credited with saving lives.  I could be wrong.  Loved them, loved Neil Young more.  

familysailor

Super Anarchist
San Francisco Bay
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only."

Charles Dickens nailed it, he could have been talking about the US in the mid 60s-mid 70s.  I came of age (born in 1955) in those turbulent times.  Some of the best rock music ever made came out of that turmoil, I am glad I got to grow up with it.  "Tin soldiers and Nixon coming, we're finally on our own, this summer I hear the drumming, four dead in Ohio."  58,000 American soldiers.  Buddy, Otis, Jimmy, Janice, Jim, and on and on...
+1

mikewof

mikewof
The Confederate flag wasn't all that political until fairly recently, Black people wore the thing both ironically and unironically.

Their poetry and music touched so many, and will do so long after the current political nonsense goes away.

And when I hear them, I'm like all the other millions, I get homesick for childhood and home ...

mikewof

mikewof
As a Northerner, I far prefer Free Bird to Sweet Home Alabama.  The lines "Now Watergate does not bother me.  Does your conscience bother you, tell the truth." are so ludicrous as to be pure nonsense.  Actually the rest of the song is pretty ridiculous too, Neil Young's Southern Man is far superior, Lynard Skynard failed miserably with their rebuttal in my opinion.

EDIT:  I realize that the Lynard Skynard's song was a response to Young's Alabama as well as Southern Man.

Anyway RIP Ronnie, Steve, et al.  
Ronnie loved Neil Young and they supposedly jammed together, he even wore his Neil Young t-shirt on stage. There was no animosity, there was love between those two, Young even wrote two songs for LS that were not recorded before the plane crash ...

79f0ab31a7c1e99ebcebf360b40efc4e--ronnie-van-zant-lynyrd-skynyrd.jpg

RVZ was an anti-racist, and he was Southern, and I've known probably a hundred times more rednecks in Alabama who hate racism with every cell than I've known actual racists down there. He was singing to Young that he already knew about the problems of Southern racism, because he lived it. And he SANG about it too, "in Birmingham they love the Governor (Wallace) ... boo boo boo."

How much more anti racist can a man be than literally booing the symbol of hate in his state?

I agree that Freebird touches something deep, those songs are like children, how can I love one more than the other? That show in Oakland, I play it for my six year old son, he gets it, by the time the guitar solo peels in, I catch a glimpse of him with his eyes closed and his head nodding, he knows. And then he looks at the videos and asks if we can go see them. Little man breaks my heart ... even though RVZ's brother still has (had?) the tribute band, LS is dead, it's more a political statement more than it is music.

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
Ballad of Curtis Lowe, and Simple Man are my favs.

WPLR in New Haven must have played Freebird 100 times in a row that night. Couldn't get away from it.

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
My daughter went to an American high school at the Army base I worked at in Germany.  The older brother of one of her good friends had some affiliation with the Drive By Truckers. That was the first time I heard of them, I like their dirty, gritty, style of Southern Rock.

Latest posts