The perils of Race Committee

GMiller

Anarchist
Eastern NC
Had an enjoyable day on the water Saturday with my bride.  Our boat is out of commission so we ran the races for our club.  Then this happened.

Veeger

Super Anarchist
Ayup!

And ya wonder why no one wants to volunteer to be/do race committee.  It's why we can't have nice things...

Edit:  If ya'd just had a less crowded line...

Last edited by a moderator:

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
Guy driving should have just “went with” the round up and turned it into a crash tack.  He only hit you because he kept fighting the helm trying to bear off…

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
Guy driving should have just “went with” the round up and turned it into a crash tack.  He only hit you because he kept fighting the helm trying to bear off…
Or gotten the guys (plural!) with their butts on the low side up to the high side.

Sorry this happened.

- DSK

Meat Wad

Super Anarchist
When approaching other boats, always have the main sheet uncleated in a trusted crew members hand ready to ease or dump completely.

If that was mid race, do you guys require the boats to go through the line?

GMiller

Anarchist
Eastern NC
No requirement to go through the line, but it's not a closed line either.  

The crew reported they had their head in the boat working on an asshole knot in the twing (?!).  Didn't have a hand on the sheet et voila!

Israel Hands

Super Anarchist
coastal NC
1 hour ago, GMiller said:

Had an enjoyable day on the water Saturday with my bride.  Our boat is out of commission so we ran the races for our club.  Then this happened.

Wow G!!  Any damage?  I echo your bride's reaction (which is what mine's would have been too) 

GMiller

Anarchist
Eastern NC
Not nearly as much damage as I thought there would be, to either boat.  We have an area about 2"x4" with the gelcoat pulverized and the mat underneath exposed.  There were two hits, the initial bow into transom and then their hull side into the corner of the transom as the bow spun off.  Thankfully it didn't hit the motor or tabs.  Edgewater builds a solid boat!

AnotherSailor

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
Sounds like an honest mishap. Restricting the line might be a good consideration. 

Thanks for doing RC! I hope this will not keep you from doing it again!

Foredeck Shuffle

More of a Stoic Cynic, Anarchy Sounds Exhausting
When approaching other boats, always have the main sheet uncleated in a trusted crew members hand ready to ease or dump completely.

If that was mid race, do you guys require the boats to go through the line?
Frustrating the amount of collisions that occur because during the start, or when crossing, or any time boats are near each other, the mainsheet is cleated.

Glenn McCarthy

Super Anarchist
Elmhurst, IL
Speaking insurance for a moment - a boat at anchor has the right of way over a boat sailing. Therefore, the sailboat needs to pony up for the repair. The RRS does not cover this from a damage perspective, they are silent.

I know of two instances where the sailboat refused (sorry, won't name names) to pay, would not forward it to their insurance companies because they know they had too many claims already on their records.  That then leaves it to the RC boat insurance to pay the damage, of course, less any deductible the boat policy has.

For a long time, I used to provide coverage for RC boats that a club borrowed. The underwriter stopped providing the coverage as the losses added up to a lot more than the premium collected. Oddly, not so much racers crashing into the RC boats. One was just picked up by the club, tied to their dock, an overnight storm sank the boat at the dock. The more amusing one was an obese RC guy (picture Chris Farley in this role), falling a few times in one day causing $45,000 of damage to a 35-foot trawler. A human wrecking ball.

Dichotomized

Lake Erie
I've been the guy trying for several boatlengths to get the mainsheet free because it was stuck, or I was too wimpy, or I was pulling it the wrong direction.  I really don't remember why it wouldn't come free, but we T boned the committee boat before the start - 0 stars, do not recommend. :(

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
Hitting the committee boat is bad form.

Years ago (by which I actually mean "decades ago"), I was loitering around a local lake enjoying the day with a daysailer belonging to my wife. It was her boat before we met. There was also a group of Laser racers, of whom I knew and had sailed with/against about half.

They had no committee boat, some sort of admin screw-up. They asked me if i would run some races for them. I said "Sure, you got a set of Race Instructions?" They said yes, I read them so as to be up to speed, and told the group "I have one addition. This is my wife's boat. I want explicit agreement from every skipper that if any sailor collides with the committee boat, they are DSQ'd for that race." Chorus of agreement.

Silly me. Of course somebody rammed my wife's boat, during a start.

I was of course within about 3' of the sailor and I said, in a normal tone of voice, "Why did you do that? Sail number umpty-umpt, you are DSQ for this race."

He wanted to argue. I offered to go home right then, with the score sheets, and file an insurance claim against him. Meanwhile, a couple of sailors said "Throw the bum out!" or words to that effect as they sailed on. Sensing a complete lack of support, the guy agreed to accept a DSQ.

The gouge he put in my wife's boat did not quite buff right out, it took some nail polish and wetsanding and then buffing.

I would probably agree to do it again.

- DSK

casc27

Super Anarchist
The more amusing one was an obese RC guy (picture Chris Farley in this role), falling a few times in one day causing $45,000 of damage to a 35-foot trawler. A human wrecking ball.
That's impressive. Most of the committee boats I've worked on were not worth anywhere close to 45K in total. Plus I would think the Chris Farley physique would provide enough padding to limit damage...apparently not.