The pure physical beauty of a Westerly Centaur

Ishmael

Yes, we have no bananas
Fuctifino
I don't want to be 'that guy', (Although I'm going to go ahead and do it anyway)

I don't like how they look, not full blown ugly, but definitely unattractive.

And the performance is lacklustre, I'm really not a fan of twin keels, I'd rather put up with the inconvenience of a dagger board.

There are a couple at my club so I have seen how well they sail.

On the plus side the cabin looks pretty roomy and I imagine they'd be comfortable at sea.

And obviously a lot of people disagree with me based on how well they sold.
A lot of Mac 26's were sold, many more than the Centaur I think. Still doesn't make the Mac anything but a POS.

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
I don't want to be 'that guy', (Although I'm going to go ahead and do it anyway)

And the performance is lacklustre, I'm really not a fan of twin keels, I'd rather put up with the inconvenience of a dagger board.

On the plus side the cabin looks pretty roomy and I imagine they'd be comfortable at sea.

A lot of Mac 26's were sold, many more than the Centaur I think. Still doesn't make the Mac anything but a POS.
I think it was 8,000 of them.

I think that as boats for that type of user they are absolutely fine. There was one in Wells - great boat for a drying sand harbour. The bloke who owned it knew how to sail it. He would put a ghoster up at the drop of a hat - and he had a spinnaker. The main was always drawing. Whne his family got bored with sailing they could be back on the mooring in half an hour.

In some ways the Centaur is afflicted with owners who either can't be shagged or don't know how to get the best from their boats

D

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Dylan:

You are free to use anything I post so long as it is accurately quoted and my name is attached.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
I like that Centaur's look like their design choices were all made to fulfill needs and provide comfort for a budget sailor who actually sails and does not have any silly fantasies that a boat is a house the water.
That's an interesting comment considering that maximizing the accommodations was probably the single most important factor in their design.

vjm

I like that Centaur's look like their design choices were all made to fulfill needs and provide comfort for a budget sailor who actually sails and does not have any silly fantasies that a boat is a house the water.
That's an interesting comment considering that maximizing the accommodations was probably the single most important factor in their design.
I meant more in terms of wanting house type luxuries, not really size of accommodations.

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
I agree that Centaurs are all about accommodation. The aim of getting six usable berths and a bog in 26 feet is ambitious. Compromises have been made in the forward cabin in an effort to get some sort of roof line that just manages to avoid the minibus look. The foredeck and the place just in front of the mast are both very comfortable places to sit on a good day.

The tiller takes up a lot of cockpit real estate.

MiddayGun

Super Anarchist
Yorkshire
During the 500 miler we averaged 4.1 knots over six days and five nights.

26 foot boat

I assume such a stately pace would have a cheese wedge sailor pulling his hair out
So are we saying that the Centaur is perhaps the definitive 4ksb? :D

I kind of get what they're about, and in terms of fulfilling their design brief they do it very well, but they're very much a marmite boat.

I can appreciate slow beautiful boats, and fast ugly boats, I just don't find it fast or beautiful enough to like. That said it's positively lovely compared to a Macgregor.

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
During the 500 miler we averaged 4.1 knots over six days and five nights.

26 foot boat

I assume such a stately pace would have a cheese wedge sailor pulling his hair out
So are we saying that the Centaur is perhaps the definitive 4ksb? :D

I kind of get what they're about, and in terms of fulfilling their design brief they do it very well, but they're very much a marmite boat.

I can appreciate slow beautiful boats, and fast ugly boats, I just don't find it fast or beautiful enough to like. That said it's positively lovely compared to a Macgregor.

well put

I would say that the view from the cockpit is as fine as that from any boat

sailing one is not without its pleasures - as I am sure many a Mac sailor would say

the steering wheel on a mac would drive me bonkers though

the tiller pilot would be doing all the steering not me

D

Last edited by a moderator:

pipboat

Dagger board boats are fine for lakes and sheltered waters, sure... but the English Channel or the North Sea? No thanks, not on my dime.

dylan winter

Super Anarchist

Dagger board boats are fine for lakes and sheltered waters, sure... but the English Channel or the North Sea? No thanks, not on my dime.
Having owned a drop keel yacht the big problem with them is that when the tide goes out you had better make sure that the bottom is smooth and clear of rocks for fear that one will be pushed up the plate box or even through the bottom of the boat.

The twin cast iron keels can land on anything and not come to any harm. In Essex the mud is not a short term problem to land on but with repeated groundings on a drying mooring it gets squeezed up between the keel and the box. As it get pushed above the water line it can set solid and jam the plate.

Dilligaf0220

Super Anarchist
Not The Caribbean
"Contrary to popular international opinion, the English can design attractive boats. The Centaur is just not one of them."

We can play the adjective game all day, but that doesn't remove the niggling worm in the back of every Centaur owners head; that you can thumb through your mental file folder all you want, but anything you can use to describe their boats can also be applied to a babushka wearing Hungarian peasant woman.

I am enjoying your latest videos (your camera work & episode on the Eyetie chapel in Scapa Flow was brilliant!), but even the French can make a bilge keeler look prettier than a Centaur.

Tom Scott

Super Anarchist
We can play the adjective game all day, but that doesn't remove the niggling worm in the back of every Centaur owners head; that you can thumb through your mental file folder all you want, but anything you can use to describe their boats can also be applied to a babushka wearing Hungarian peasant woman.
...I think the Centaur has a beautiful personality, :)

Ishmael

Yes, we have no bananas
Fuctifino
"Contrary to popular international opinion, the English can design attractive boats. The Centaur is just not one of them."

I think "sleeps 6" might not apply.

Ishmael

Yes, we have no bananas
Fuctifino
The Centaur is the Morris Minor of boats.
We didn't have a lot of those, but we had a lot of these.

59_Nash-Metropolitan-DV-11-GCA_01.jpg

zedboy

Eastern Med
I would like to elicit some judgements purely on the aesthetics of this English Classic. Feel free to be honest because although I sail one that is only because at the moment in the UK they offer the best value for money in a go anywhere small yacht.
When Brian started the ugly boat thread way back, I thought to myself, "Oh, he means like a Centaur."