the Story from Low Speed Chase

mvselst

San Jose
Bryan, thank you for sharing.

The shared team risk is of particular note to me as an element I have not spent a lot of time considering.

Best

- mark

blackjenner

Super Anarchist
That's a very courageous and honest report. The best thing we can do after such a situation is to share what we have learned so others can inform their own decisions.

My condolences for your loss and again, my compliments on your honesty.

Rum Runner

Rum Runner
Illinois
Bryan - Thank you for excellent essay. I hope we can all learn something from the misfortune of the Low Speed Chase crew. I know I have.

God bless the entire crew.

nolatom

Super Anarchist
New Orleans
Thanks, Bryan, for your courageous and clear-headed account. You will help others stay safer in the future, which is probably the best legacy anyone can leave behind.

U20guy2

Super Anarchist
Well done. And thank you for sharing it early. Hopefully the pain of your experience will be eased slightly by knowing you may have educated, convinced, and changed the safety behavior of the guy going out sailing tomorow for the better.
In true SA form Fuck yes he has made some of us think about our safety and behavior!

rustymk

Thank you. Your courage to come forward so soon with the story and your personal survival lessons will undoubtedly save lives.

Thank you. Your courage to come forward so soon with the story and your personal survival lessons will undoubtedly save lives.
Thanks Bryan.

Soon after the news broke, I received about 25 e-mails from family and friends worrying that I too might have been 'out there' as they all know I live and breathe racing on SF Bay and there abouts. The real pain they all felt made me assess my own practices offshore.

Liquid Courage

cap10ed

Anarchist
next door
Bryan thanks buddy for giving us Anarchists the inside story. You get better now. Some serious family time for you . You scared the shit out of them and us with those details.

Last edited by a moderator:

sosinmd

Los Angeles
Words can't express how sorry I am that you had to go through that. All the best to you, your family and friends.

Thank you very much for sharing.

Thank you for sharing what was truly a horrifying experience. As I said when I first heard the news; "There but for the grace of God go all of us who muck about in boats." I will definitely be putting safety a little higher on the list of things to consider. Bless you Bryan and all of those on High Speed Chase. Thoughts, positive energy and prayers to you.

J24_guy

Marion, MA
Bryan Chong is a surviving crew member of the Sydney 38 Low Speed Chase which lost the lives of five people during the disastrous Full Crew Farallones Race in San Francisco. Here, he tells his story.

This letter goes out to a devastated sailing community still confused about the events surrounding the 2012 Full Crew Farallones Race. There have been inaccuracies in the media, mostly stemming from the survivors' silence as James ("Jay"), Nick and I are still reeling from tragedy and the loss of close friends and loved ones.

I've chosen to use Sailing Anarchy for distributing this story because they're of a kindred spirit and were the favorites amongst the crew of Low Speed Chase and those who already know the answer to the question, "Why would you sail in the ocean on a windy day with big swells?"

I've also included the Marin Independent Journal and The Tiburon Ark, as they're the hometown newspapers in an area teeming with sailors. Many sailors relocate from around the world to Marin and the Tiburon Peninsula in order to live in proximity to the world's best sailing. Alan Cahill moved from Cork, Ireland to race sailboats professionally in the Bay Area and the Pacific Ocean. He was the best man in our wedding and will be dearly missed while I journey this planet.

This letter does not contain every detail, but my account should provide a basic understanding of our day on the water and what happened after the first wave hit our boat. It is meant both to illustrate how things can look normal until one event changes everything and to begin to address what we can learn. It's my hope and intention that it will spark a wider dialogue within the sailing community about safety standards and, more importantly, safety practices.

Why do we sail?

A sailor's mind set is no different from that of any other athlete who chooses to participate in a sport that has some risk. It's a healthy addiction. Despite the highly publicized deaths of Sonny Bono and Michael Kennedy, skiers all over the world continue to hit the slopes each winter. Sitting on the couch is safer than ripping down a slope, but the reward makes the risk worthwhile. Continued on the front page.

It takes a man to write those words. There will likely be legal matters to deal with, such as wrongful-death actions on the part of the victims' families. I am sure Bryan's lawyers told him to sit tight and not make any statements about this accident, at least until the victims' families have it it with his marine insurere. But I am really really glad to have a fellow human being who is willing to cut through bullshit at his own risk.