The Tarnishing of the Annapolis Yacht Club - Commodore Hartman Needs to Resign

That’s crazy. It’s almost like they have a different legal and political system down there that requires different governance practices for private clubs than in Massachusetts. Not possible!

you are way smarter than that J
What was our 2 line verbal contract when I loaned you my boat in Annapolis and Marblehead 20 years ago?

#1: Dude, keep it flat coming out of the gybes

#2: Don't be mean to the Laser SB3

Clean : "Yeah I can agree to the first clause, but that's a No to the second clause"

I damn sure I didnt ask you if you had been "deemed competent by the RQYS Sailing Academy or similar certification"

As a two term member of a great lakes yacht club board of directors, the AYC commodores comments are cringe worthy and unbecoming of any chief executive.  I'm not sure I could continue to serve with such a person. 

bluelaser2

CLE
The fucking sport is been dying for 5 years 

The fucking sport is been dying for 25 years

Last edited by a moderator:

accnick

Super Anarchist
The diver asked if there was a through-hull used for a water maker and did not inject the chemical in that one.
Maybe the chemical would have destroyed your watermaker membrane or poisoned you. Just guessing here.

It's been a long time, but as I recall we had to tie up to the float outside the lock overnight. We had to shut off the main engine seacock and pour biocide into the intake strainer and run it through the engine. Not sure what else was done, but that would have been in around September of 2000, so the protocols may well have changed since then.

It was a bit of a pain, but an understandable precaution at the time.

I think we stayed in the marina (Cullen Bay) for a couple of weeks, so it was a one-time thing.

We never found any Australian requirements particularly onerous, although I was not happy that customs seized about $500 worth of frozen beef and lamb that we had purchased in NZ before heading straight to AUS, with no stops.

Our problem may have been that we had cleared out of NZ about a week before actually leaving, waiting for a good weather break.

It looked like we had left NZ two weeks before arriving in AUS, rather than the  week or so it actually was.

I will say AUS takes their border protection very seriously. A border protection P-3 showed up about 100' over us when we were still about 100 miles from landfall. It also flew over us a number of times when we were working our way up the E coast inside the Great Barrier Reef and over the top to Darwin, sometimes asking us if we had seen a specific boat they were trying to locate.

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
All we need is one good solar flare storm and sailing, steam/coal trains and the horse and carriage will again rule the day!

Last edited by a moderator:

zenmasterfred

Super Anarchist
Lopez Island
On 2/6/2022 at 7:48 AM, OneWorldSailing said:

Good morning, Explore.

Here is one for SA's younger audience. Over 50,000 kids packed into a stadium like sardines with nary a mask in sight. Fast forward to today: With an average ticket price of $5K a seat, you must be vaxxed and wear a mask for this year's Super Bowl.

I am not trying to be a dick. But the hypocrisy here is mind boggling:

Me thinks you protest too much, Dick Head.

bluelaser2

CLE
The fucking sport is been dying for 5 years 

The fucking sport is has been dying for 25 years 35 years.
Which does raise the question: what was the peak year of sailboat racing as a participatory sport? 

I'd say around 1982 to no later than 1987.   The death of IOR was a mirror, or a cause?  I'd say mirror. 

Howler

Good Grief.  5 pages of closely typed script of your responsibilities of how to use club owned boats.   We have a sign in sheet and a sign out sheet, where you note anything damaged or missing on the boat.
I read those 5 pages. They aren't even particularly detailed or unreasonable, all they do is state and restate, as redundantly, convolutedly, and bloviatingly as possible, approximately this:

1. Must be a current member at "crew" level or above.
  2. Your guests onboard must purchase a day pass.
  3. Must pass the competency check.
  4. You are responsible for damage to the boat
  5. Must carry insurance
  6. Can buy packages of 10 or 20 half-day sails, good for one year
  7. If you return the boats late, you incur additional fees
  8. If you cancel without 24 hours notice, you forfeit that sail.
  9. club has the right to cancel any given sail for weather, etc.

Bristol-Cruiser

Super Anarchist
Great Lakes
Maybe the chemical would have destroyed your watermaker membrane or poisoned you. Just guessing here.

I imagine it would not be a desirable nutritional supplement. 

We never found any Australian requirements particularly onerous, although I was not happy that customs seized about $500 worth of frozen beef and lamb that we had purchased in NZ before heading straight to AUS, with no stops.

Plus the AUS$300 inspection fee. We knew about the restrictions. Lost two nutmegs that we had from Grenada. They left the partially graded one.

I will say AUS takes their border protection very seriously. A border protection P-3 showed up about 100' over us when we were still about 100 miles from landfall. It also flew over us a number of times when we were working our way up the E coast inside the Great Barrier Reef and over the top to Darwin, sometimes asking us if we had seen a specific boat they were trying to locate.

We did not have an overflight until we rounded Cape York, a twin engine something or other. They called on thee VHF but with no requests.
When we left Darwin with Sail Indonesia the Customs people gave us some swag - a memo pad, a fridge magnet with instructions to phone them if we saw anything suspicious, and what we what call a toque, odd for people going from Darwin toward the equator.

Ex Machina

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
When we left Darwin with Sail Indonesia the Customs people gave us some swag - a memo pad, a fridge magnet with instructions to phone them if we saw anything suspicious, and what we what call a toque, odd for people going from Darwin toward the equator.
I think they call it a toke in Aussie but yeah odd for the customs people to offer you a toke on your way to indo

Latest posts