The Third Booster Shot Debate - Are U going to get the booster?

NeedAClew

Super Anarchist
USA
Problem is the shot we don't take here in US will just expire. 

Send money to UNICEF or some international vaccine effort. Australia has a pay it forward thing.  

SCARECROW

Super Anarchist
Melbourne, Aus
Problem is the shot we don't take here in US will just expire. 

Send money to UNICEF or some international vaccine effort. Australia has a pay it forward thing.  
Yep when I was in the GP waiting room after getting my booster the receptionist was doing a client ring around because they’d had 2 no-shows so had two doses that would go in the bin in a couple of hours if the couldn’t find a shoulder to put them in.

The Q

Super Anarchist
Had go to a little clinic close to my place (cut the crap out of my left knee with the worlds most dangerous angle grinder) & was a bit dumbfounded by the gal doing the wound cleaning when she said she's already had a booster & she is 10 years younger than me.

Still, November would be the sixth month since full protection by the initial 2 pfizer doses I had so I am willing to wait a little longer, do want to have the old immune system up to max for Easter/SakuraCon.

I did however get a bright shiny new tetanus jab!
Ouch.. my padded winter overalls  stopped damage to me this weekend from a Bosch nano bade saw.. but wouldn't stop an angle grinder..

Medical staff were almost first on the list to be offered jabs in the first round, so they get first boosters. You don't need medicos getting covid...

Finally we've got a local appointments for boosters, 11th Dec. That's the problem living in the area with the oldest population in the UK, there's a lot of people in front of us on the list, our average age here is 58 against a national average of 40...

Last edited by a moderator:

animeproblem

Super Anarchist
Seattle
Ouch.. my padded winter overalls  stopped damage to me this weekend from a Bosch nano bade saw.. but wouldn't stop an angle grinder..

Medical staff were almost first on the list to be offered jabs in the first round, so they get first boosters. You don't need medicos getting covid...

Finally we've got a local appointments for boosters, 11th Dec. That's the problem living in the area with the oldest population in the UK, there's a lot of people in front of me on the list, our average age here is 58 against a national average of 40...
As dangerous as that little Dewalt is (paddle switch broken off, grinder is locked on) it's kind of amazing that I've been using it since 2003 & this would be the 1st time I got bit!

Pretty sure you have right of it regarding med staff, but she made it sound like all I had to do was ask (maybe whine a bit), moot anyway now since it's wide open for over 18.

On another front Sakura Con finally has posted COVID 19 policies which include proof of vaccine or negative test & masked at all times unless eating or drinking.

Last edited by a moderator:

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
Just got mine. pril wasc2nd shot. Now Dec is 3rd. I followed the advice of my 81 year old public health pro cousin. The big unspoke. Issue really is tgat vaccine efficacy has a rouglly 6 month half life. You need the booster.

danstanford

Anarchist
Lake Ontario
Dunno if that's of much significance. I gather that antibody levels are one of those things where a useful signal can be found in a large population but not at the individual level. According to the CDC antibody tests should not be used to assess immunity to COVID.

It feels like a gamble on the basis of a series of WAGs to me, but now that I qualify I'll be boosting my Pfizer -- probably with another of the same.
I think if you read the info from the FDA you will discover that the real reason they don't want you using the antibody tests is that it may prompt you to take more risk in your behaviors around Covid protection. Yup, it pisses me off to live in a world with so much spin of vital information. 

weightless

Super Anarchist
I think if you read the info from the FDA you will discover that the real reason they don't want you using the antibody tests is that it may prompt you to take more risk in your behaviors around Covid protection. Yup, it pisses me off to live in a world with so much spin of vital information. 
I agree about the spin from the public health folks. I think they do themselves and society long term harm when they use spin that isn't well founded in fact because they believe it will influence short term behavior. I have an epic rant on this but I'll spare you.

On the specific point, however, the discussions I've heard, mostly on TWiV, suggest to me that individual variance in antibody levels is very high and what individual levels go with what individual protection isn't well understood. Immune systems are absurdly complicated. Details of how they work differ in individuals.  Perhaps having a diversity of responses to disease in the population has had evolutionary benefits. In any case, "high" antibody levels may be better correlates of protection in some folks than in others. Or at least "the science" doesn't seem to have gotten to a good answer to what a given value of "high" is yet. In fairness to the public health folks, the science isn't likely to get to a good answer for years and public health decisions can't wait. Also, I suspect there are technical questions about the antibody tests themselves. Are they calibrated, repeatable, reliable, etc.  A cautious approach to antibody testing as a proxy for protection doesn't seem out of line to me.

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
The "science" is largely empirical. Hey, so is the science of naval architecture. It is still science. But it lacks rigorous understanding. We don't have time to figure it all out yet.

dacapo

Super Anarchist
NY
Boosted a few weeks ago.  Ill do it every 6 months if need be. It doesn’t hurt and I was only mildly cranky the next day (built in excuse to take a day off of work) and I sure as fuck don’t want to  get Covid again

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
We will *all* get it eventually. The wuestion is whether with lomg term harm or not. This os wjy the anciety.

Grog

Anarchist's Anarchist
Germany
Got the booster today, still playing for Team BioNTech, now leading Team Covid by three to naught.

Also, I still need to pick up my phone for calls, SatNav or playing music on the car stereo, service still is 4G/LTE at best. Promises, promises ...  :blink:

accnick

Super Anarchist
Got the booster today, still playing for Team BioNTech, now leading Team Covid by three to naught.

Also, I still need to pick up my phone for calls, SatNav or playing music on the car stereo, service still is 4G/LTE at best. Promises, promises ...  :blink:
Just be patient and wait for the nanobots to kick in. Reception will get better.

The Q

Super Anarchist
Uk avg age 40? Surprised not higher. Thank god for immigration.
Average age white British, 42

Average age black, 30

Average age asian 30

Average age other 29

Average age mixed race 18.

It shows that despite immigration, the population of the UK is 86% white. 7.5 % Asian, and only 3.3% black..

Meanwhile we did get bill gates chip V3.0 on the 11th, I felt quite weak for a couple of days after..

My parents finally got theirs on the 14th only after the intervention of an MSP who my sister knew. There seems to have been a major cockup with the administration of jabs for the house bound, not just in Scotland where my parents are, but in England as well according to the TV..

accnick

Super Anarchist
OK, will do.

I just expected them to boot and connect a little bit faster, being 5G and Bill's latest and finest?
There's the flaw in your thinking.

I got notice of a software update yesterday via my left ear. Scheduled to install overnight tonight.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
This is encouraging.  If boosted, 1/10th the risk of getting the virus, 1/60th the chance of dying, vs being unvaxxed...

image.png

Latest posts