The Third Booster Shot Debate - Are U going to get the booster?

Grog

Anarchist's Anarchist
Germany
Nice upgrade in the music channel, surround sound with a subwoofer.

- DSK
Now that might explain my acute loss of hearing in my right ear last saturday? They should spend some more to adjust the levels; really not looking forward to boost that one!

Or maybe I was just a little stressed out. Anyway, we've closed shop until 10 January '22, so I might just take in some social reefs and turn my attention to some balsa planes that are sitting on the shelves waiting to be finished...

boomer

Super Anarchist
PNW
We're well into the third variant, which means Covid won't be going away in what's left of our lifetime, there is no viable reason not to get the vaccine, including all straw-man arguments.

My wife and I got boosted at the end of October. When the next shot is needed, we'll be lining up.

Still isolating and limiting our trips out, always masking, and double masked when we went in for the vaccine or going inside anywhere there's people and hand washing afterwards.

Hope this new far more effective vaccine is available then. US Army Creates Single Vaccine Against All COVID & SARS Variants  It appears it gives the potential to "pan neutralise", beyond the 24. To make it simple, if you were to give spike A and B, the immune system would make antibodies specific against A and B, but also that binds area common to A and B. By having A and B on the same molecule, the "ball", A and B are close to one another. It makes antibody that can binds either A or B more efficient in binding over only A or only B. Common A/B binding-antibodies are then favored.

Now do it for 24, you increases drastically the chances to target area highly conserved, on which immune pressure will have less effects (less mutations potential). You end up with antibodies that have a higher chance to block any strains or even Sarbecoviruses. 24 means a lot of conserved areas across multiple different virus will be favored instead of 24 single set of antibodies. With the immunity favoring conserved area, you gear up for more than the 24 initial set.

The real beauty here is, there just aren't that many versions of the spike protein. So multiple strains will all use very similar spikes.

That's why the mRNA vaccines for COVID-19 all targeted the spike protein. It's generally pretty stable because its hard for the virus to mutate a different shape that will still work.

That's also one of the main reasons that Omicron is scary. It has a significant number of mutations in the part that's used to bind to cells, which was the part that we protected against.

A promising material for making masks is Electroceutical fabric eradicates coronaviruses on contact.

The electroceutical technology offers clinicians a non-antibiotic solution for infection risk reduction and potentially increases its value for use in face masks and possibly other surface treatments.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
Finally received my booster appointment booking invitation this morning.  Booked for tomorrow afternoon.  Maybe now a long stay in the sun may become a reality.

A

Amati

On 12/25/2021 at 11:39 PM, boomer said:
We're well into the third variant, which means Covid won't be going away in what's left of our lifetime, there is no viable reason not to get the vaccine, including all straw-man arguments.

My wife and I got boosted at the end of October. When the next shot is needed, we'll be lining up.

Still isolating and limiting our trips out, always masking, and double masked when we went in for the vaccine or going inside anywhere there's people and hand washing afterwards.

Hope this new far more effective vaccine is available then. US Army Creates Single Vaccine Against All COVID & SARS Variants  It appears it gives the potential to "pan neutralise", beyond the 24. To make it simple, if you were to give spike A and B, the immune system would make antibodies specific against A and B, but also that binds area common to A and B. By having A and B on the same molecule, the "ball", A and B are close to one another. It makes antibody that can binds either A or B more efficient in binding over only A or only B. Common A/B binding-antibodies are then favored.

Now do it for 24, you increases drastically the chances to target area highly conserved, on which immune pressure will have less effects (less mutations potential). You end up with antibodies that have a higher chance to block any strains or even Sarbecoviruses. 24 means a lot of conserved areas across multiple different virus will be favored instead of 24 single set of antibodies. With the immunity favoring conserved area, you gear up for more than the 24 initial set.

The real beauty here is, there just aren't that many versions of the spike protein. So multiple strains will all use very similar spikes.

That's why the mRNA vaccines for COVID-19 all targeted the spike protein. It's generally pretty stable because its hard for the virus to mutate a different shape that will still work.

That's also one of the main reasons that Omicron is scary. It has a significant number of mutations in the part that's used to bind to cells, which was the part that we protected against.

A promising material for making masks is Electroceutical fabric eradicates coronaviruses on contact.

Sounds promising- I could find masks on the site, is this an order the patches and dyi?

How different is this from electrostatic n95 / n98 masks?

Monkey

Super Anarchist
I got my booster shot this morning and now totally understand the anti-vaxxers!  For starters, it took almost ten minutes from start to finish. I don’t have time for that. On top of that, it was free. I can’t afford this shit. Then, those assholes gave me a coupon for 15% off on anything I bought in the store!  Must be a scam!  Oh, and I didn’t die. 

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
I got my booster shot this morning and now totally understand the anti-vaxxers!  For starters, it took almost ten minutes from start to finish. I don’t have time for that. On top of that, it was free. I can’t afford this shit. Then, those assholes gave me a coupon for 15% off on anything I bought in the store!  Must be a scam!  Oh, and I didn’t die. 
Has the third eye on a stalk started forming yet?

- DSK

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Interesting news from Israel

I think I'll wait for my booster. It may be the last we can have for 12 months and the end of this could be years away.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-31/israel-orders-another-booster-to-fight-omicron/100730338

Excerpt

Studies have shown those vaccinated with a third shot have a stronger immune response against Omicron than those vaccinated with only two doses. 

However, Israeli researchers have noted a significant fading in immunity among the triple-vaccinated in the four months after the third shot. 

Similarly, a briefing published by the UK's Health Security Agency before Christmas suggested booster shots lost up to 25 per cent effectiveness against Omicron after just 10 weeks.

The waning of immunity from boosters has not extinguished hopes the fourth shot might give the strongest immune response yet in both the number and quality of antibodies it generates.

But the opposite could also happen. One possible scenario is that the fourth dose doesn't do anything to protect the vulnerable against Omicron in the same way the third did against Delta, according to Daniel Cohen, a professor of epidemiology and preventive medicine at Tel Aviv University.

Another possible downside to a fourth shot is the chance repeated vaccination could somehow wear out the body's immune response, which has been sometimes observed in other multiple-dose vaccines.

boomer

Super Anarchist
PNW
Have been going with Armbruster since the beginning- you might find this site interesting- they were on top of masking since the very beginning, when dyi ( here in WA USA  :lol: ) was forced on us.  Oops! I’ll post the link in a few minutes…

here-

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/comparison-mask-standards-rating-effectiveness/
We've been using various 3M n95 from the 9010 to the 8010 masks with a tight weave cloth mask with a filter pocket over, since 2/07/2020.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts