The Third Booster Shot Debate - Are U going to get the booster?

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
I've cancelled my booster shot.

If this third shot's efficacy fades after 10-12 weeks. That will be right on my departure to Greece. A 4th shot? no way.

I'll wait and see what next month brings and take the risk with Omicron. -_-  

00seven

James "Grumpy" Bond
Blue marble
I've cancelled my booster shot.

If this third shot's efficacy fades after 10-12 weeks. That will be right on my departure to Greece. A 4th shot? no way.

I'll wait and see what next month brings and take the risk with Omicron. -_-  
You're just like Randy. You hadn't had your 2nd AZ in August.

00seven

James "Grumpy" Bond
Blue marble
bullshit-button-bullshit.gif

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
A pouch sewn into a cloth mask for the addition of a replaceable filter. Don't ask me where you get those filters: I don't know.
Way back in the old days (like 2 years ago) before masks were very available and people were using bandanas coffee filters were being touted. No idea if that was effective, of course I adhere to anything is better than nothing.

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
Day 3 after half dose Moderna booster.  Arm is still sore, no other issues.  Definitely not interested in another booster in three months.  Let's hope omicron turns out to be a bad flu.

A

Amati

Way back in the old days (like 2 years ago) before masks were very available and people were using bandanas coffee filters were being touted. No idea if that was effective, of course I adhere to anything is better than nothing.
Actually some bandana material and wool scarves break up phlegm upon exhaling through them, making the pieces of goo smaller and instead of dropping, floating farther through the air. Coffee filters weren’t bad.  Kind of hard to breath through. There was testing at the time, of all sorts of dyi material at Cambridge U, based on SARS 2 partial size, but it was pretty much ignored. (Perils of the Internet, I guess) Tea towels & shop towels scored pretty well on filtering and breathability.  Even some paper towels.  

A

Amati

A pouch sewn into a cloth mask for the addition of a replaceable filter. Don't ask me where you get those filters: I don't know.
We had some from Britain, but British experience didn’t go so well, since there was only partial coverage with the patches.  You could feel the inhaled air going around the edges.

Grog

Anarchist's Anarchist
Germany
FWIW, I have stocked up with 3M Aura 9320+ FFP2s which won a test of 20 or so masks because of fit, filtration and breathability (is that a word?).

They have two durable head bands made from some sort of non-allergic rubber, a sturdy piece of metal to shape a close fit around the nose and a proper seal inside the upper part. They fit firmly (tighter that just snug), seal well (Glasses don't fog up) and when clean shaven, they actually filter odors like deos or smoke.

I use them when I have to wade through crowded places and so far they seem to be holding up well.

For working with nasty chemicals I keep a Dräger X-plore 3500 with the "big" filters, which handle just about anything except CO and nuclear radiation, but that one still seems a bit over the top for groceries ... the Darth Vader-ish look might actually freak some people out, wouldn't it?

boomer

Super Anarchist
PNW
What’s a filter pocket?
Another layer of cloth on the inside of a cloth mask to accept a filter. Initially till my wife found a couple boxes of 3M masks two years ago, we wore a the widest type of face mask with 600 thread count, with these extra layer of material to accept a large wide filter. We'd stick a cut down HEPA filter to size, to fit in these pockets, the pocket was a wide total face covering to match the cloth masks, there was no noticeable air escapage, because I checked.

Been using the cloth mask without a filter over the electrostatic 3M n95 mask, since the Delta Variant came on last summer, and double-masked, any time before that the past two years, when going into a building or going to the doctors office.

We didn't wait to be told to mask in March of 2020, because my wife I started masking, gloving up and carrying extra hand sanitizer in our vehicles at the end of January of 2020. My wife whom went out more frequently for groceries was stripping out of her clothes outside the utility room, before coming in the house, as would I - after my rare once a week foray's out for filming, or photo shoot or shooting HD video with a drone. When people would come over or I'd go to old friends and workmates homes, we've sat down outside, with a crossing wind - if it's cooler, we dress appropriately.

My wife and I also have North 7700 Series Niosh-Approved respirators, and both Particulate and Combo Organic Vapor & P100 Particulate Filter Cartridge, but haven't had to use then unless epoxying or painting inside or any task where a respirator is required.

Last edited by a moderator:

NeedAClew

Super Anarchist
USA
Actually some bandana material and wool scarves break up phlegm upon exhaling through them, making the pieces of goo smaller and instead of dropping, floating farther through the air. Coffee filters weren’t bad.  Kind of hard to breath through. There was testing at the time, of all sorts of dyi material at Cambridge U, based on SARS 2 partial size, but it was pretty much ignored. (Perils of the Internet, I guess) Tea towels & shop towels scored pretty well on filtering and breathability.  Even some paper towels.  
High filtration vacuum cleaner bags. Got some, thought NAH if it's that bad at Safeway I am getting delivery. This was Spring 2020. 

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
some may find this helpful

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/omicron-chart-protection-2-3-vaccine-booster-effectiveness-hospitalization-symptomatic-2022-1?r=US&IR=T

and the whole report

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1044481/Technical-Briefing-31-Dec-2021-Omicron_severity_update.pdf

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
Thanks for posting that.  For the TLDR and anti-vaxxers here:  

In this analysis, the risk of hospitalisation is lower for Omicron cases after 2 and 3 doses of vaccine, with an 81% (77 to 85%) reduction in the risk of hospitalisation after 3 doses compared to unvaccinated Omicron cases.

After 3 doses of vaccine, the risk of hospitalisation for a symptomatic case identified with Omicron through community testing was estimated to be reduced by 68% (42 to 82%) when compared to similar individuals with Omicron who were not vaccinated (after adjusting for age, gender, previous positive test, region, ethnicity, clinically extremely vulnerable status, risk group status and period). Combined with the protection against becoming a symptomatic case, this gives a vaccine effectiveness against hospitalisation of 88% (78 to 93%) for Omicron after 3 doses of vaccine.

Quite a large sample group, coming from the UK which has had a lot of cases.

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Thanks for posting that.  For the TLDR and anti-vaxxers here:  

In this analysis, the risk of hospitalisation is lower for Omicron cases after 2 and 3 doses of vaccine, with an 81% (77 to 85%) reduction in the risk of hospitalisation after 3 doses compared to unvaccinated Omicron cases.

After 3 doses of vaccine, the risk of hospitalisation for a symptomatic case identified with Omicron through community testing was estimated to be reduced by 68% (42 to 82%) when compared to similar individuals with Omicron who were not vaccinated (after adjusting for age, gender, previous positive test, region, ethnicity, clinically extremely vulnerable status, risk group status and period). Combined with the protection against becoming a symptomatic case, this gives a vaccine effectiveness against hospitalisation of 88% (78 to 93%) for Omicron after 3 doses of vaccine.

Quite a large sample group, coming from the UK which has had a lot of cases.
But it also notes that like others, a booster loses efficacy after ten weeks. 

Symptomatic cases were then linked to hospitalisation data. After 3 doses of vaccine, the risk of hospitalisation for a symptomatic case identified with Omicron through community testing was estimated to be reduced by 68% (42 to 82%) when compared to similar individuals with Omicron who were not vaccinated (after adjusting for age, gender, previous positive test, region, ethnicity, clinically extremely vulnerable status, risk group status and period). Combined with the protection against becoming a symptomatic case, this gives a vaccine effectiveness against hospitalisation of 88% (78 to 93%) for Omicron after 3 doses of vaccine. Although waning is seen in the effectiveness against symptomatic disease, there is insufficient data to assess the duration of protection against hospitalisation, which is expected to last longer.

So those that got a booster over 10 weeks ago may be due for a fourth?

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) said protection against symptomatic COVID-19 caused by the variant dropped from 70% to 45% after a Pfizer booster for those initially vaccinated with the shot developed by Pfizer with BioNTech.

In the same analysis published Thursday, the agency found the effectiveness of Moderna’s booster paired with two doses of the Pfizer vaccine held at 70 to 75% for up to 9 weeks, though not many people in the study received this regimen, which could affect the accuracy of the finding.

For those fully vaccinated with AstraZeneca’s vaccine, booster effectiveness dropped from 60% to 35% with a Pfizer booster and to 45% with a Moderna booster after 10 weeks, the UKHSA said.

Eric Topol, director of the Scripps Research Translational Institute, said on Twitter Thursday that the UK findings were a “replication” of what has been seen in Israel.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/how-long-does-booster-protection-omicron-covid-last-study-2021-12

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) said protection against symptomatic COVID-19 caused by the variant dropped from 70% to 45% after a Pfizer booster for those initially vaccinated with the shot developed by Pfizer with BioNTech.

In the same analysis published Thursday, the agency found the effectiveness of Moderna’s booster paired with two doses of the Pfizer vaccine held at 70 to 75% for up to 9 weeks, though not many people in the study received this regimen, which could affect the accuracy of the finding.

For those fully vaccinated with AstraZeneca’s vaccine, booster effectiveness dropped from 60% to 35% with a Pfizer booster and to 45% with a Moderna booster after 10 weeks, the UKHSA said.

Eric Topol, director of the Scripps Research Translational Institute, said on Twitter Thursday that the UK findings were a “replication” of what has been seen in Israel.

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/how-long-does-booster-protection-omicron-covid-last-study-2021-12
Well, that's somewhat encouraging.  Most people here in BC (myself included) are or will be Pfizer x 2 + Moderna booster.  Score one for our PHO, Dr. Bonnie Henry.