The Third Booster Shot Debate - Are U going to get the booster?

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Well, that's somewhat encouraging.  Most people here in BC (myself included) are or will be Pfizer x 2 + Moderna booster.  Score one for our PHO, Dr. Bonnie Henry. 
I don't know why you find it encouraging. Anyone boosterered before mid sept is probably going to need another very soon.

I'm waiting a few weeks to see what more solid booster data from the UK and USA turns up and what AZ come up with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
I don't know why you find it encouraging. Anyone boosterered before mid sept is probably going to need another very soon.

I'm waiting a few weeks to see what more solid booster data from the UK and USA turns up and what AZ come up with.
Just got my Moderna booster on Friday.  I guess that gives me 10-12 weeks to travel if I need to.

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
The publiic is confused. Never were tjese vaccines goimg to keep antibody levels up for long. Never were rgey going to outright prevent infection long twrm. What they do is dramatically rwduce severiry of infection and spread.

Leeroy Jenkins

Super Anarchist
Vancouver
Day 3 after half dose Moderna booster.  Arm is still sore, no other issues.  Definitely not interested in another booster in three months.  Let's hope omicron turns out to be a bad flu.
Half dose?  I haven't heard of this.

Well, that's somewhat encouraging.  Most people here in BC (myself included) are or will be Pfizer x 2 + Moderna booster.  Score one for our PHO, Dr. Bonnie Henry. 
Is there data on different combinations?  How about 3X Phizer?  I know the risk of clotting from Moderna are very small, but someone close to me has had four unprovoked DVTs and will not be taking any chances. 

Rain Man

Super Anarchist
Wet coast.
Half dose?  I haven't heard of this.

Is there data on different combinations?  How about 3X Phizer?  I know the risk of clotting from Moderna are very small, but someone close to me has had four unprovoked DVTs and will not be taking any chances. 
They are giving 1/2 doses of Moderna here as boosters.

The UK study posted by @ShortForBob discussed the efficacy of a few combinations, 3 x Pfizer specifically.

EYESAILOR

Super Anarchist
The AZ fanfolk have some splainin' to do.  
Not really.  We always knew that some of the vaccines would be more effective than the others.  Anybody who says they knew in advance of the phase 3 testing that they knew which would be the most effective vaccines is full of BS.  After phase 3 test results, it was clear that the mRNA vaccines from Pfizer and Moderna were ahead of the pack, but I still don't think we know the endgame yet. I think we are 1500 meters into a 10,000 meter race. One or two of the predicted front runners have pulled up winded. The early pace setters are still ahead but they are flagging, and somebody that we have not been watching from the pack may emerge.  

Grog

Anarchist's Anarchist
Germany
Not really.  We always knew that some of the vaccines would be more effective than the others.  Anybody who says they knew in advance of the phase 3 testing that they knew which would be the most effective vaccines is full of BS.  After phase 3 test results, it was clear that the mRNA vaccines from Pfizer and Moderna were ahead of the pack, but I still don't think we know the endgame yet. I think we are 1500 meters into a 10,000 meter race. One or two of the predicted front runners have pulled up winded. The early pace setters are still ahead but they are flagging, and somebody that we have not been watching from the pack may emerge.  
And maybe the hare the pack is trailing runs out of steam?

The front runner so far is clearly the virus, it always leads by a few months (or, like, 2000 meters?). But it seems to be fading while at least vaccinated runners seem to maintain a decent if not competitive average.

In the long run I think the vaccines will have saved a couple of hundred million lives, either by not dying in the first place or by not suffering from life altering effects like strokes or severe long covid. They were definitely worth the proverbial shot and I can only pity those who had the chance but turned it down.

NeedAClew

Super Anarchist
USA
Not what I meant. I was ragging on AZ and their disingenuous PR. My fave was AZ "as effective against Omicron as against Delta." Strangely, no % given. Yeah, right. 

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Not what I meant. I was ragging on AZ and their disingenuous PR. My fave was AZ "as effective against Omicron as against Delta." Strangely, no % given. Yeah, right. 
I think we call all say that all players have been putting their best side to the crease. 

They are all saying they have a tweeked vaccine in the vats.

I still dont see that AZ is any less effective over the whole 6 months we've been trialing these vaccines.

And I'm pretty sure that the developing world would disagree with you.

1 AZ or J&J or Sinovac  better than No Pfizer/Moder  :rolleyes:

Better go get your 4th shot, you're due. It might even protect you long enough to get that trip before you need a 5th.

Meanwhile, after much grief and death , those that were denied vaccines might just win the long race

NeedAClew

Super Anarchist
USA
I think we call all say that all players have been putting their best side to the crease. 

They are all saying they have a tweeked vaccine in the vats.

I still dont see that AZ is any less effective over the whole 6 months we've been trialing these vaccines.

And I'm pretty sure that the developing world would disagree with you.

1 AZ or J&J or Sinovac  better than No Pfizer/Moder  :rolleyes:

Better go get your 4th shot, you're due. It might even protect you long enough to get that trip before you need a 5th.

Meanwhile, after much grief and death , those that were denied vaccines might just win the long race
Glad to know that your original foregoing of a booster until all people get vaccinated has morphed into foregoing your trip to Greece that would require a boost. Does AusPost have a special rate to mail your dose to Papua? 

Plus your notion of sending the funds you would have spent on your vacation to buy vaccines for Greece is splendid. 

NeedAClew

Super Anarchist
USA
Besides for the trip I want, I will be getting a typhoid shot, topping up my TDAP, and getting a bottle of Malarone. Another booster? Join the party. 

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Glad to know that your original foregoing of a booster until all people get vaccinated has morphed into foregoing your trip to Greece that would require a boost. Does AusPost have a special rate to mail your dose to Papua? 

Plus your notion of sending the funds you would have spent on your vacation to buy vaccines for Greece is splendid. 
It's a bit late now. The Virus has mutated.

My objection was and still is people getting 3rd shots when half the world has had non. 

Omicron has skewed that.

But 3 months ago, triple shots were not necessary.

And I am regularly donating to WHO.

You?

https://covid19responsefund.org/en/

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
It's a bit late now. The Virus has mutated.

My objection was and still is people getting 3rd shots when half the world has had non. 

Omicron has skewed that.

But 3 months ago, triple shots were not necessary.

And I am regularly donating to WHO.

You?

https://covid19responsefund.org/en/
Whether or not some fat rich guy gets a 3rd shot has no bearing on shot availability in poor areas. Just like the fact that the rich guy is fat, doesn't cause hunger in poor areas. 

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Whether or not some fat rich guy gets a 3rd shot has no bearing on shot availability in poor areas. Just like the fact that the rich guy is fat, doesn't cause hunger in poor areas. 
Tell that to the irish in the 1840's

When there is limited supply and the rich guy uses his wealth to buy the bulk of that supply, that then causes a shortage for the poorer areas.

Logistics too those poorer areas is also an issue but if there is no supply you cant shift it.

As I said, that was the situation a while ago, not so much now but the damage has been done. More variants. 

TheDragon

Super Anarchist
Well, I'm not so sure that more variants is a problem. Indeed, it looks like Omicron is a good thing in the long run, it appears to be the next stage of evolution into a bad cold virus like at least three other coronaviruses we all grew up catching. The places that are really suffering from Omicron like the US, are places with relatively low levels of vaccination. AND we don't really know how Omicron evolved. It might have been a long-lasting infection in an immune-compromised, possibly HIV-infected, person in Southern Africa, or might even be a reverse zoonotic that spent some time in an animal and got back into humans. Who knows? I very much doubt that it resulted from a lack of vaccines in Southern Africa, and at least as of a few months ago several SA countries like Botswana where early Omicron cases were detected, were turning away batches of vaccine because so few were interested, having swallowed too much anti-vaccine bullshit on social media, which is as much a problem here as it is in the USA.

Black Jack

Super Anarchist
This third booster of Moderna has kicked my ass. Moderate flu symptoms for 24 hours and slept all day. Lost a day of work.

I had covid 2 months ago and was sick as a dog. took 2 weeks to get over. damned if you do damned if you don't.