The Third Booster Shot Debate - Are U going to get the booster?

Xeon

Super Anarchist
England
All I will say on the subject, is all of my close family ( including me ) have had the third booster and my in-laws have just been called for their fourth shot, as will my wife and I and daughter ( who works in the uk health service ) in the next couple of months . We are all ok so far .

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
Check how many times the CDC has changed its narrative.

???
WTF do think this proves, or even suggests?
Look how many times the laws of physics have been changed, Aristotle thought he had gravity figured out but he did not have the calculus to derive the mathematical relationships. According to you, that means there must not be such a thing as gravity?

Science only has the best answer figured out so far. If any person tells you that they have THE best-possible, final, perfect, answer, that person is not talking about science.

Chief Stipe

A viral infection was once only defined by the physical manifestation of symptoms. Now it is defined by tests such as the PCR test which can identify a single molecule of a virus regardless of any sysmptoms. Is that still an "infection"?

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
I really really try to ignore the bullshit posted here on Spamarchy but sometimes I just can't help it.

1. Viral infection: Infection caused by the presence of a virus in the body. Depending on the virus and the person's state of health, various viruses can infect almost any type of body tissue, from the brain to the skin. Viral infections cannot be treated with typical antibiotics (antibacterial antibiotics); in fact, in some cases the use of antibacterial antibiotics may cause side-effects that complicate the viral infection. The vast majority of human viral infections can be effectively fought by the body's own immune system, with a little help in the form of proper diet, hydration, and rest. As for the rest, treatment depends on the type and location of the virus, and may include anti-viral antibiotics or other drugs.

2. The corona virus was difficult to diagnose and detect at first since a large % of those who had it (and were spreading it) were asymptomatic. Some never develop symptoms at all. This helps explain why the advice from the CDC and others has evolved as more is known. Easily transmissible and difficult to detect and track made this virus unique and not in a good way.

3. Can't fix stupid and evidently can't stop it from posting.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
A viral infection was once only defined by the physical manifestation of symptoms. Now it is defined by tests such as the PCR test which can identify a single molecule of a virus regardless of any sysmptoms. Is that still an "infection"?
???
No, it never was.

At least, not since we have found & identified what a "virus" is, and many of the various different kinds.

Not all virus causes disease, bonehead.

There are two concerns with contagious diseases, viral or bacterial (what exactly is the difference, yo?): one is the severity of the disease itself, the other is how readily it is caught by another person, from somebody who has it. One of the characteristics of viral diseases is that they are generally more contagious.

One of the characteristics of COVID is that a person can be infected, and not have any symptoms... according to your idiotic "definition" above that is flatly impossible, isn't it... and yet they can pass it on to others who may become very seriously ill or die. This makes it very difficult to address from a public health standpoint.

The polio vaccine, and many other successful vaccines of the past, reduce the contagiousness to practically nothing. The COVID vaccine is not as effective in this regard, but it is still more than 50% effective which makes it powerful tool to knock down surging pandemic levels of the disease.

If fucking boneheads don't get spooked in mass by RWNJ propaganda, and refuse to take it.

Chief Stipe

2. The corona virus was difficult to diagnose and detect at first since a large % of those who had it (and were spreading it) were asymptomatic. Some never develop symptoms at all. This helps explain why the advice from the CDC and others has evolved as more is known. Easily transmissible and difficult to detect and track made this virus unique and not in a good way.
You miss the point. The PCR test only measures the presence of the virus molecules it doesn't measure infection or infectiousness.

Chief Stipe

The COVID vaccine is not as effective in this regard, but it is still more than 50% effective which makes it powerful tool to knock down surging pandemic levels of the disease.
WHICH SARS-CoV-2 vaccine? There is more than one and they all have different levels of effectiveness. As for any of the vaccines "knocking down the surging pandemic levels of the disease " (or do you mean "cases"?) that actually didn't happen during the second and third waves.

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
You miss the point. The PCR test only measures the presence of the virus molecules it doesn't measure infection or infectiousness.
So, you either have it or had it. Dumbass.

. It's a test to detect genetic material from a specific organism, such as a virus. The test detects the presence of a virus if you have the virus at the time of the test. The test could also detect fragments of the virus even after you are no longer infected.

Chief Stipe

Trying to understand why Chief posts. Near as I can tell, he's got 'political' concerns rather than medical concerns per se.
Not at all. My interest is purely in the science. However it is clear that many of the so called "health" decisions have been political decisions rather than ones based on science. For example decades of science based pandemic planning was suddenly dumped. That planning was based on a potential virus far more severe than Covid-19 has ever been.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Not at all. My interest is purely in the science. However it is clear that many of the so called "health" decisions have been political decisions rather than ones based on science. For example decades of science based pandemic planning was suddenly dumped. That planning was based on a potential virus far more severe than Covid-19 has ever been.
You'd have to ask Trump why he cut the funding for the pandemic response team. Oh yeah, that's right, Obama signed that one into law.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
???

The PCR test measures the presence of the virus.

If the virus is present, you are infected, and you can spread it to others (ie "infectious").

Is there ANYthing that you "know" that is actually right?

Chief Stipe

???

The PCR test measures the presence of the virus.

If the virus is present, you are infected, and you can spread it to others (ie "infectious").

Is there ANYthing that you "know" that is actually right?
You are so wrong in that post.

The PCR test can measure a single molecule depending on how many replication cycles you use. Even then it only identifies a portion of the viral genome that is supposedly unique to a particular virus.

The presence of viral particles in extremely small amounts doesn't amount to being "infected".

The virus needs to be reproducing for you to infect someone else or indeed to be classed as having an infection.

As the inventor of the PCR test and Nobel Prize winner Kary Mullis said you can use the technology to find virus particles or any molecule you choose at levels that mean absolutely nothing.

Chief Stipe

You'd have to ask Trump why he cut the funding for the pandemic response team. Oh yeah, that's right, Obama signed that one into law.
For me this isn't a political debate. However I'd be interested to see a cite for what you are saying.