The Voice. An Australian referendum

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Australia does not recognise it's Aboriginal and Torres Islander people in it's constitution.
That may change. We're having a referendum!

It stems from a long history of ATSI pleading for a Voice.
Finally

The wording is in it's infancy.
Undoubtedly there will be debate in the community, there will be spin and misinformation and blatant lies
This is an interactive reference page.
https://fromtheheart.com.au/

This is the Gov page

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Misinformation. Some people are already spreading the insinuation that this allows an ASTI body to vote in Parliament. It doesn't.

What is the voice in the Constitution?

A Voice to Parliament, enshrined in the Constitution, would enable Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to give advice to the Federal Parliament about laws and policies that impact them through a simplified policy making process and structural change.

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
Meli virtue signaling, she doesn't really give a fuck.
She's not a native-born Australian, so even if she does give a fuck, nobody cares.

Going to be interesting to see how the referendum question is written. If it's not precise, it's guaranteed to fail IMO. And they don't seem to want to do precise, or can't.

FKT

MRS OCTOPUS

Anarchist
AUSTRALIA
SFB I really want to support this. Please explain how this will change the present status quo where an indigenous constituent approaches his/her local member , and his / her voice is heard.
You do understand that just because people may identify as indigenous, does not mean they are all on the same team so to speak.
Have you been to Port Keats, Palm Island , or Yuendamu. We’re you at the James Price point anti Gas Hub protests.
I have and we’re. To say that First Nations people are a united voice is far from the truth.
How in Nellys name is this going to work.
From memory there is approximately 500 Aboriginal nations in Australia. For a representative view are we going to have one representative from each nation, or just the loudest , wealthiest non representative swill that seems to currently inhabit the largely white corridors of power as this voice.
I currently reside in the NT and are appalled at the inequality that affects the first Australians.
Something needs to be done.
Currently there are 6 ?? Members of federal Parliament that identify as aboriginal. (2.7 % of total seats). First Nations people make up 3.3 % of our population, so close but could be better.

WTF.

Please help me understand what I am voting for, or haven’t you a clue either.

Last edited:

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
SFB I really want to support this. Please explain how this will change the present status quo where an indigenous constituent approaches his local member , and his / her voice is heard.
You do understand that just because people may identify as indigenous, does not mean they are all on the same team so to speak.
Have you been to Port Keats, Palm Island , or Yuendamu. We’re you at the James Price point anti Gas Hub protests.
I have and we’re. To say that First Nations people are a united voice is far from the truth.
How in Nellys name is this going to work.
From memory there is approximately 500 Aboriginal nations in Australia. For a representative view are we going to have one representative from each nation, or just the loudest , wealthiest non representative swill that seems to currently inhabit the largely white corridors of power as this voice.
I currently reside in the NT and are appalled at the inequality that affects the first Australians.
Something needs to be done.
Currently there are 6 ?? Members of federal Parliament that identify as aboriginal. (2.7 % of total seats). First Nations people make up 3.3 % of our population, so close but could be better.

WTF.

Please help me understand What I am voting for.
Undoubtedly there will be discussion threads closer to the vote...too early now.
This thread is simply a reference to post official information on to help you answer your questions.
I'll only be C&P official information as the process evolves. I trust others will do the same.

MRS OCTOPUS

Anarchist
AUSTRALIA
Thanks SFB as I suspected NFI how this will improve the current situation.

I want to see better outcomes for first Australians.

I am not sure the creation of an “Indiginous Political Elite” Is at all helpful.

We really need detail before the facts get buried by the Bullshit.

Last edited:

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
Thanks SFB as I suspected NFI how this will improve the current situation.

I want to see better outcomes for first Australians.

I am not sure the creation of an “Indiginous Political Elite” Is at all helpful.

We really need detail before the facts get buried by the Bullshit.
Meli hasn't even been as far as Bendigo or Ballarat in Australia. The places you're talking about, they're foreign countries to her. She knows more about Greece than outback Australia.

And as for expecting Meli to have a clue - come on. She never has yet, why would she start now? All she does is cut & paste, thinking and analysis isn't part of the package.

We're not going to get any substantive detail - we're supposed to vote 'yes' on the vibe of the thing, and then get a menu of options if we're lucky, with 'none of the above' totally absent. The argument then being that we already said yes, so now pick the shit sandwich you like best.

I predict that when the implications are spelt out it'll fail, just like the republic referendum did, and for the same reasons.

FKT

Se7en

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Undoubtedly there will be discussion threads closer to the vote...too early now.
This thread is simply a reference to post official information on to help you answer your questions.
I'll only be C&P official information as the process evolves. I trust others will do the same.
Huh?
This is supposed to be a thread where you just cut an paste the government's announcements?
What's the point? Those who care will read the origional anyway. Those who don't won't bother to read this thread.

So the only point of this thread seems to be for you to get another kicking from those inclined.

You're not here for the sailing are you?

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Huh?
This is supposed to be a thread where you just cut an paste the government's announcements?
What's the point? Those who care will read the origional anyway. Those who don't won't bother to read this thread.

So the only point of this thread seems to be for you to get another kicking from those inclined.

Like I said, it's a reference for future use so when the lies and quotes from the likes of Hanson get spun until the whole thing has been pulled out of shape we can go back to sources.

Reference collections help one form a clear picture they don't opine. This is a reference collection.

(And if I stopped posting for "fear" of a pack of bullies, what would that make me?)

Government announcements, actual quotes rather than 4th hand misquotes etc. You can help if you like.

Last edited:

MRS OCTOPUS

Anarchist
AUSTRALIA
Like I said, it's a reference for future use……..
I’m not sure ya game is going to prove very entertaining but I’ll give it a go.

From the Parliamentry education office……. https://peo.gov.au/understand-our-p...tions-and-voting/referendums-and-plebiscites/

A referendum is only passed if it is approved by a majority of voters across the nation and a majority of voters in a majority of states—this is known as a double majority. Territory voters are only counted in the national majority. If a referendum is successful, the change is made to the Constitution.

Nah that wasn’t much fun.

SFB I can’t resist a personal bit. If per chance this referendum doesn’t get up, don’t ya think it’s going to be awfully divisive ?
Therefore we really need to do this right and not treat the voters as dickheads .
Simplifying this down to a yes vote is right and a No voter is a racist Is BS . Tell us what we are actually voting for and how it will work. After all , we are all funding this shit show and every dollar wasted on it rather than being spent on better health outcomes is a tragedy.
It needs to work first time.

Last edited:

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
Did we even need another “hey look at me, I’m Meli “ thread as it’s already been discussed elsewhere.

What a pointless waste of time and taxpayer dollars. Why do we need a constitutional change? The unions will have a huge say in how the Labour Party runs the country and they did not need to be in the constitution.

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
Huh?

Shit, just saw the post you were replying to

78077976-57B8-412F-98E5-DE5D70D42A50.jpeg

fuck she is pathetic.

However it is true to form. She is our resident ALP propaganda mouthpiece without an independent thought in her head.

00seven

James "Grumpy" Bond
Blue marble
WTF has Schaquile got to do with indigenous Australians? I've got a dollar that says he hasn't been to Wadeye, Yirrikalla, Tennant or Yuendamu and knows fuck all about any of it.

He might have heard of Michael Ah Matt but that would be the end of it.

00seven

James "Grumpy" Bond
Blue marble
00seven, you need to ask Jacinta , who is well qualified to understand the relationship between American Athletes and Australian politics.
Here is a picture of her in federal parliament recently channeling US athletes Tommie Smith and John Carlos.
WHAT A HYPOCRITE , completely clueless with no original thoughts in that tiny little brain of hers.

View attachment 537060
What? That's Lidia Thorpe from the Greens.

Jacinta Price is another person altogether. CLP member. She opposes the "voice in parliament" BS. Hard to believe you could be so wrong.
1661601198271.png

Last edited:

Latest posts