The Voice. An Australian referendum

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
No I was answering little miss google. This conversations are odd with her posts hidden. Not sure why she bothers blocking posts and then reading them anyway.
Perhaps she may be fucked in the head?
I wasn't going to disagree with you anyway - God knows I got paid for doing fuck-all a lot of the time. In fact when I resigned I suggested a restructure of my section to my boss that eliminated my job entirely and a couple other useless EL management positions and use the money to employ more APS 6 engineers & techs, who actually got stuff done. I was bored shitless, took over my programmer's work as well as my own when he left and still had time to waste on the old newsgroups - and as soon as they blocked me from going to sea on medical grounds - outa here, baby, back to private enterprise while I wait to collect my Fed Govt superannuation. Ka-ching.

The Meli's were clustered in HR and Policy & Planning. Nobody could ever work out what they did.

Reminds me of the old joke when Gough got elected and was being briefed by his Permanent Secretary. Asked him how many people worked in the PM & Cabinet Ministry.

"About half".

FKT

Reactions: Mid

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
Whatevs.

Not defending or knocking Meli, but I know a hell of a lot of people in the Public Service, mainly CSIRO and other R&D organisations, and scientists in the medical fields.

They're not lazy, nor are they time-servers, and they certainly work hard for their living. Generally they're grossly underpaid and have insecure careers.

FKT
not mocking PS employees in general. As you highlight, there are some areas where it is probably better to do recearch in the PS than private as it may be more meaningful.

I guess the PS has changed greatly and those in federal employment based in Canberra probably deserve more money for living in that boring as fuck miserable shithole. The best thing about Covid was that it prompted the DHS to boot all "foreign" contractors before borders started closing so I only suffered that shitty for 2 weeks.

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia
not mocking PS employees in general. As you highlight, there are some areas where it is probably better to do recearch in the PS than private as it may be more meaningful.

Yeah it's partly a timeline thing - how long will it be to see a positive ROI. Or the chances of failure pursuing bright ideas.

Some of the CSIRO projects in the old days had decades long timelines - animal genetics and the like. Industry would partly fund them but the ROI was diffuse and couldn't be restricted to a single corporation so the commercial incentive wasn't really there.

And a lot of R&D is going to not lead anywhere, though the serendipity spinoffs might be considerable. But you can't put those in your research grant proposal.

A fair bit of that attitude worked for me - I've never been afraid to call a project a failure, cut my losses and move on to Plan B. As a software guy you'd know - sometimes you program and bash a problem into submission, then look at the end product and think - I could do that in less than half the code, it'd be much cleaner and less bugs, plus likely faster. But you may not be allowed to re-do it because - resources.

Anyway mocking APS employees has a long and venerable history, because as a class, they deserve it. It's a shame Meli is such a classic example of an unthinking left-wing know-all who remains willfully ignorant though. She gives the hard workers a bad name by association.

Incidentally - Dan the man of Victoria copped a pasting in the Australian today, over preventable deaths. And the usual Victorian lefties commentary - crickets...

FKT

Page 3, tch tch... what's Meli's repository of information doing way down there. There was an announcement the other day in her favourite rag about the appointment of a working group on the Voice, but He Who Would Be A Tampon (HWWBAT) and his dead mom took over the news coverage. Please Meli, can you keep us informed of the list of the usual suspects who will be on this working group? Dodson, Langton, Calma etc. I've got zero problems with any of these people.... but where are the non-indigenous Australians on the working group? Surely a working group should be representative and be covering all the issues?

Some folk are out and about, doing their bit. Where's Mel?

shc1e.jpg

00seven

James "Grumpy" Bond
Blue marble
What will this "Voice" do here?

Inside the warring outback towns that have erupted in violence as a man is shot dead in a horrific crossbow attack​

• A man, 36, has been shot dead with a crossbow in the town of Peppimenarti, NT
  • NT police have since deployed more officers to the troubled remote community
  • Violence throughout the West Daly region has escalated over recent months
  • The township of Wadeye has seen out of control gangs, warring families & riots
  • Gangs seen holding machetes, axes and hammers roam the streets in the town
  • Four men were shot with arrows in a violent clash in the community back in June

What will this "Voice" do here?

Inside the warring outback towns that have erupted in violence as a man is shot dead in a horrific crossbow attack​

• A man, 36, has been shot dead with a crossbow in the town of Peppimenarti, NT
  • NT police have since deployed more officers to the troubled remote community
  • Violence throughout the West Daly region has escalated over recent months
  • The township of Wadeye has seen out of control gangs, warring families & riots
  • Gangs seen holding machetes, axes and hammers roam the streets in the town
  • Four men were shot with arrows in a violent clash in the community back in June

Absolutely nothing, of course, except suck more money away from actually fixing the problems. I see the Melster has gone to another thread to bitch (in the verbal sense) and moan about the language used by a NT cop in his "private" Messenger posts. Whilst I don't condone the language used - its abhorrent in this day and age, but was common in the 1960's - however, it points to the problem. Those cops are dealing with non-stop, drunk, violent offenders every day they are on duty. To expect those cops to be calling their contacts "Sir" and referring to them in private discussions as if they are honored clients just demonstrates her naivety.

00seven

James "Grumpy" Bond
Blue marble
Absolutely nothing, of course, except suck more money away from actually fixing the problems. I see the Melster has gone to another thread to bitch (in the verbal sense) and moan about the language used by a NT cop in his "private" Messenger posts. Whilst I don't condone the language used - its abhorrent in this day and age, but was common in the 1960's - however, it points to the problem. Those cops are dealing with non-stop, drunk, violent offenders every day they are on duty. To expect those cops to be calling their contacts "Sir" and referring to them in private discussions as if they are honored clients just demonstrates her naivety.
Of course she'd take offense, she's never been on the end of a drunken, racist, abusive spray from a drunk black fella either.

ethnic origin.jpg

Meli promised us that this would be a repository of information in the leadup to the referendum. She sure seems to be slow to do it... so here's some from me. I just took a look at ethnic origin from the 2021 Census. So, the tenth largest ethnic group in the country aren't happy and want their own voice. Hmmm

00seven

James "Grumpy" Bond
Blue marble
View attachment 541241

Meli promised us that this would be a repository of information in the leadup to the referendum. She sure seems to be slow to do it... so here's some from me. I just took a look at ethnic origin from the 2021 Census. So, the tenth largest ethnic group in the country aren't happy and want their own voice. Hmmm
It's not them making the noise, it's the woke left.

Jacinta Price is the real Voice of real Aboriginals. Listen to what she says.

LB 15

Cunt
Well that’s good news. Meli has given permission for others to post in ‘her’ thread, as long as it is factual. Of course that would exclude any discussion about the ‘Australian Wars’ that aired last night. Pure fiction passed of by the ABC as a documentary.
Complete fabrication by the loony left rewriting history.

Just like that fat POS Hanson Young thinking Patrol boat was a Doco.

You can’t make this shit up.

00seven

James "Grumpy" Bond
Blue marble
Well that’s good news. Meli has given permission for others to post in ‘her’ thread, as long as it is factual. Of course that would exclude any discussion about the ‘Australian Wars’ that aired last night. Pure fiction passed of by the ABC as a documentary.

So Meli still has no idea what ignore means? The voice referendumb seems to have gone to the back burner with the ABC, Meli has no input without Auntie.

Fah Kiew Tu

Curmudgeon, First Rank
Tasmania, Australia

WGAF what Meli says? She's taken herself out of any discussion WRT Australia and Aussies because she's put most of us on double-secret ignore and even her sycophantic fellow-travelers are avoiding defending her stupidities.

Really, for someone who attention-whores to the extent she does, she managed a massive own goal.

FKT

The Dark Knight

Super Anarchist
Brisvegas
Just watched the ABC news. At some protest about the Queen, some aboriginals burnt the Aussie flag. -fact

Suddenly I’m a monarchist. Fuck’em -fact

Then I saw Penny Wong making a statement standing in front of some aboriginal artwork between the Abo and TSI flags. -fact

She can go Fuck herself… -fact

ShortForBob

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
More factual information to keep the fact lovers informed. :)

snippets from

But opponents of the Voice — including some politicians, media commentators and social media users — have suggested the change would create a "third chamber of parliament".

Former Sky News host Alan Jones, for example, has taken to Facebook on multiple occasions since Mr Albanese's Garma speech to suggest the Voice would constitute a third chamber.

Five constitutional law experts consulted by RMIT FactLab were unanimous in rejecting the claim that the Voice, as proposed by the government, would effectively be a third chamber of parliament.

George Williams, a constitutional law expert at the University of NSW, told RMIT FactLab there was no suggestion that the Voice would have any of the powers or responsibilities of the existing two parliamentary chambers — the House of Representatives and the Senate.

"The Voice is proposed to be an advisory body that makes representations to parliament about matters involving Indigenous peoples," Professor Williams said.

"It would not have a veto or decision-making role on legislation. Nor would it hold the executive to account . . . This falls well short of amounting to anything akin to a third chamber."

Anne Twomey, professor of constitutional law at the University of Sydney, agreed.

She noted that the Voice would not be able to "initiate, debate, pass or defeat bills and would not have any of the powers or privileges of the existing houses".

Even the suggestion that parliament would need agreement from the Voice to make legislation was "wrong", she added, likening the Voice to other bodies which make recommendations and reports to parliament, such as the Human Rights Commission and the Australian Law Reform Commission.

Constitutional law expert Cheryl Saunders, a laureate professor emeritus at the University of Melbourne, also dismissed the idea that the Voice would establish a third chamber of parliament, as did Gabrielle Appeleby of the UNSW Law Faculty.

Luke Beck, associate dean (education) of the Faculty of Law at Monash University, likewise, denied that the Voice would be a third chamber of parliament.

"The role of the Voice will be as an advisory body," he told FactLab, noting that the parliament would be free to ignore the views of the Voice.

"It will not have any formal powers, let alone the powers of a chamber of Parliament."

Alhadder

Super Anarchist
Left coast of Oz
Glad to see other people are contributing to this information thread. As long as it's factual, it's all good.
I may join the fray in due course when we have more information re the actual question that is to be put to the masses...however in the meantime will chuckle internally at the usual shit flinging between the usual suspects :cool: