The Wind Gods movie AC33

bcopper

Super Anarchist
Good find - how did you come up with it ?
Sheer brilliance on my part. Absolute dedication to searching out the tiniest details of sailing from all aspects, no matter how trivial. That and I saw it on SW ;)
Good work lad - we'd be lost without you.

Looks like RG is doing a lot of hoping in his review - is he EB's buddy ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wandering Geo

Super Anarchist
Sheer brilliance on my part. Absolute dedication to searching out the tiniest details of sailing from all aspects, no matter how trivial. That and I saw it on SW ;)

Can't see the link due to an over zealous work netnanny, but is it the same as this http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=130740&page=2#entry4120748 from 3 days ago?

bcopper

Super Anarchist
The video trailer is the same, here is the RG commentary;

The blurb released with the trailer describes it as:

'Awe-inspiring boats that reflect the unlimited reach of human ingenuity, breathtaking views, action, tension, excitement, consummate skill, the pursuit of lifelong dreams and the tempestuous romance between sailors and the sea, set against a soaring musical score: this is The Wind God's, the story of the 33rd America's Cup race.

'In a quest to bring the oldest trophy in International Sports back to America, Oracle Corporation's Larry Ellison organizes an elite team to sail USA-17, the most technologically advanced sailboat ever built, in a challenge against the defending Swiss team Alinghi, which has held the cup for seven years.

'The film documents the effort from start to finish, with intimate portraits of the competitors, fascinating insights into the cup's history, and sweeping cinematography of the race. But more than that, The Wind Gods is a tribute to the adventurous spirit that leads men to test their limits, by challenging the elements, the sea, and fate.

'Directed by Peabody-award winner Fritz Mitchell and produced by Skydance Productions, the orchestral score by composer Pinar Toprak received the International Film Music Critics Association Award for Best Documentary Score in 2011.

From what can be seen on the trailer, the footage is spectacular and excepted comments underscore the tension of the time.

For those who had insight behind the scenes it will be interesting as to whether the director and producer stay with reality, and resist the temptation to re-write history.

But regardless, this is a must see for all sailing fans - both those who followed the saga through its twists and turns, and for those whose eyes glazed over and changed channel on the appearance of every new episode of America's Cup Legal.

Those who follow the Cup understand the event seems to only undergo dramatic change after a cataclysmic event, be it War, Depression or Court action.

The great strength of the America's Cup, is to be able to quickly re-invent itself, but its greatest weakness is recourse to the US legal system in the case of serious dispute. To be able to understand the present and future of the America's Cup one has to be able to understand its genesis and past, and hopefully the 2007-2010 phase of the Cup is presented for accuracy rather than dramatic effect. In themselves the events are simple and dramatic, and need little embellishment.

Hopefully, in The Wind Gods, the characters have been left to tell their tales, free of a pre-determined dramatic spin. From the clips in the preview, it seems that has been the case.

The website for the movie can be viewed at www.thewindgodsmovie.com the movie will be available on DVD for $20.00 for those who want a personal copy.

Expect more in this genre, from other production teams, before the 34th America's Cup.

by Richard Gladwell

zillafreak

Anarchist
Newport Beach

Can't see the link due to an over zealous work netnanny, but is it the same as this http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showtopic=130740&page=2#entry4120748 from 3 days ago?
Yup. Never read that thread.

The video quality on the trailer looks awesome. Cant wait to see it. I've been trying to get a copy of the original AC33 but no one seems to have it.

Wandering Geo

Super Anarchist
Last edited by a moderator:

Wandering Geo

Super Anarchist
From here: http://www.thewindgodsmovie.com/#!timeline/c1vw1

THE TIMELINE

Aboard multi-hulled masterpieces of design and engineering, the teams of the 33rd race for the America’s Cup challenged the will of the wind gods like never before, by testing the limits of human ingenuity and competitive spirit.

THE PLANNING

The idea was simple in concept, complex in application: build a hard-wing sail that would extend 23 stories into the air. Australia had used a winged keel to capture the cup in 1993, but this was to be a much bolder stroke of technological genius. Eventually, the wing—the largest ever built – was completed, and USA-17 was ready to set sail. Larry Ellison assembled a team of the finest sailors in the world, all ready for the greatest challenge, and thrill, a seaman can experience: a race for The America’s Cup.

The idea was simple in concept, complex in application: build a hard-wing sail that would extend 23 stories into the air. Australia had used a winged keel to capture the cup in 1993, but this was to be a much bolder stroke of technological genius. Eventually, the wing—the largest ever built – was completed, and USA-17 was ready to set sail. Larry Ellison assembled a team of the finest sailors in the world, all ready for the greatest challenge, and thrill, a seaman can experience: a race for The America’s Cup.

RACE ONE

The first of the best two-out-of-three races began with a bit of sailing brilliance from Jimmy Spithill, who forced Alinghi into a penalty as the two boats jockeyed for advantage at the start. However, soon thereafter USA-17 had difficulty maneuvering into starting position, and found herself several hundred meters behind Alinghi when the race got underway. Once she was on course, USA-17 surged forward with astounding power generated by the wing sail, and eventually overtook Alinghi, to win the first race by a very wide margin.

RACE TWO

Faced with the reality of USA-17’s design superiority, team Alinghi was forced to make strategic adjustments, and for a while it looked as if the new strategy would pay off. Alinghi sailed ahead to a lead of 600 meters. The crew of USA-17 made some adjustments of their own, and soon made up the lost distance to pass Alinghi on the way to the win. It was the goal Larry Ellison and Team USA had worked so hard to reach. Gracious in victory, Ellison congratulated Ernesto Bertarelli on a race well-sailed, and then took the trophy home, triumphant - and so proud - that he could return The America’s Cup to America.

umpire

Super Anarchist
Edenbridge, UK

Yup. Never read that thread.

The video quality on the trailer looks awesome. Cant wait to see it. I've been trying to get a copy of the original AC33 but no one seems to have it.
If you had read the other thread you would have seen this too!

http://www.redearthstudio.com/project/the-wind-gods/

arr4ws

Super Anarchist
i dont see this as very interesting. The two boats were so different , DogZilla was way too fast for Alinghi. Races were ''boring'' even if the 2 boats were awesome. My friend brought me the dvd of the first Alinghi try at the cup... that was an awesome story .

this , not very much sadly.

Wolkenzug

Munich, GER
Skydance production is a company founded by Larry Ellisons son David Ellison (made the new Star Trek movie btw.)

Don´t expect any objectivity in there.

roarer699

London
Expect this to appeal to OR fanboys only. Expect 12 copies to be sold - mostly to those who contribute to this site. A lot to be given to OR team members and their family as christmas presents one expects.

Latest posts