The world’s largest sloop by Royal Huisman — 279ft LOA

Alaris

Super Anarchist
Maryland
Although it sounds like they need a buyer first. 

https://www.royalhuisman.com/apex850/

CEC1816B-830A-42A4-B1C0-EB39EFB8BAFD.jpeg

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
Mate of mine is a new build project manager 

he has been working on a mega yacht proposal for the past year 

the mast , rigging , estimate was 40 million 

big numbers

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Like Robin Williams said about cocaine - "It's God's way of telling you that you have too much money".

Anyone who would buy something like that has got some serious psychological issues.

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
A few places it can't go with 107m high mast: 

San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge = 67m

Bridge of the Americas (Panama Canal) = 61m

Verazanno = 70m so no bright lights of NY for you

QE bridge (into London) = 58m

I'm sure there are more. Sucks to be so rich that your boat don't fit

Son of a Sailor

Super Anarchist
Huntington, NY
A few places it can't go with 107m high mast: 

San Francisco Golden Gate Bridge = 67m

Bridge of the Americas (Panama Canal) = 61m

Verazanno = 70m so no bright lights of NY for you

QE bridge (into London) = 58m

I'm sure there are more. Sucks to be so rich that your boat don't fit
The fact that it would not clear the Verrazano Bridge by about 123 feet is ridiculous

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
Well you could get all the crew out on the boom and heel it over...Ok more likely hire a 80 Tonne pull tugboat.

Navig8tor

Super Anarchist
The was a yacht that had the top 8-10 ft of mast telescoping just so it could fit under the Verrazano.

Montrosity A?

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
80T tug rental - about $1500/hr in NYC.   Thinking about it, I wonder if an 80T tug would be enough to even do the job...

I was at a talk by Ron Holland about Mirabella V (mast height 89m). One of the things they hadn't thought about was "how do you get the forestay clevis pin?". This was by far the biggest boat he had designed.

Because the chainplate was hidden belowdeck to get the furler low, it was in a little pocket. Only enough room for 1 guy. Clevis Pin was 60 or 70 lbs or kg (can't recall). Guy couldn't pick it while trying to align the holes at the same time.  Needed an extra crane to pick up the clevis pin. 

These are the sort of things you don't think about when you scale up a thing to a larger % than what you have done before. Stuff bites you because the jump in size is considerable and beyond your experience.

"Well the mast whistles because the top is so high it's in the jet stream, which causes a low pressure area to suck noise through the halyard exit slots". Stuff like that. Scale effects are interesting.

Windward

Super Anarchist
It will be "for sale" one week after the new owner takes delivery.

Charter for some reasonable weekly rate of many decimal points.

Where it goes doesn't matter.  This is for bragging rights only in the elite upper echelons of society.

Enjoy it if it gets built.  Keeps lots of people employed.  People who buy this sort of thing look at expenses like this as sofa cushion money and a tax dodge since it is for charter purposes.

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
It will be "for sale" one week after the new owner takes delivery.

Charter for some reasonable weekly rate of many decimal points.

Where it goes doesn't matter.  This is for bragging rights only in the elite upper echelons of society.

Enjoy it if it gets built.  Keeps lots of people employed.  People who buy this sort of thing look at expenses like this as sofa cushion money and a tax dodge since it is for charter purposes.
Yah, after a season or two  the new GIGA yacht  becomes faceless and disappears into charter 

time to upgrade to  BIGGA yacht 

Last edited by a moderator:

Alaris

Super Anarchist
Maryland
Surprised they didn’t go for round numbers like 300’ LOA or 100M LOA. 279’ / 85M doesn’t have the same ring to it. 

Last edited by a moderator:

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
Those jumbos are obnoxious  to sail 

a mate of mine runs a jumbo 

close reaching in the carribean at 20 knots  creates so much apparent  wind on deck that guests sunglasses get blown off their faces 

crew must glue their baseball caps to the top of their heads and talk via headphone mic setups 

Alaris

Super Anarchist
Maryland
Those jumbos are obnoxious  to sail 

a mate of mine runs a jumbo 

close reaching in the carribean at 20 knots  creates so much apparent  wind on deck that guests sunglasses get blown off their faces 

crew must glue their baseball caps to the top of their heads and talk via headphone mic setups 
Can you imagine going to weather? Must feel like being on a skyscraper during an earthquake and a hurricane.