The World is not Enough...

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
(James Bond reference)

I thought sailing to Maine would satisfy me, at least for awhile. All I can think about is the next excursion.

@estarzinger is right, I think I'd like to go to Bermuda. Before I go, I'd like to be proficient at sun sights so that I could at least determine my latitude in case anything went wrong electronically. Maine is fantastic but getting there requires solo'ing through high commercial traffic areas. I'm also disappointed that I stopped so many times. I think I'd like some time in the ocean, far from most commercial traffic. Plus, there's the whole Gulf Stream puzzle to deal with.

I don't necessarily want to race there, but I want to sail there for sure.

Not My Real Name

Not Actually Me
(James Bond reference)

I thought sailing to Maine would satisfy me, at least for awhile. All I can think about is the next excursion.

@estarzinger is right, I think I'd like to go to Bermuda. Before I go, I'd like to be proficient at sun sights so that I could at least determine my latitude in case anything went wrong electronically. Maine is fantastic but getting there requires solo'ing through high commercial traffic areas. I'm also disappointed that I stopped so many times. I think I'd like some time in the ocean, far from most commercial traffic. Plus, there's the whole Gulf Stream puzzle to deal with.

It doesn't work that way. You do that really cool trip, they you don't want it to end, and you want more.

I wouldn't sweat making celestial a barrier. It's a nice to have, that I never got even though I carried two sextants and several books on the topic halfway around the world.

accnick

Super Anarchist
(James Bond reference)

Take the opportunity to sail there with someone else to get an idea of the challenges.

I’ve sailed there more than 25 times. No two trips are the same, but previous experience helps a lot.

Noon sights are easy to reduce with    a simple calculator, but from the Chesapeake to Bermuda, latitude is of limited use. In pre-loran, pre-GPS days, with no sun for days, I have DR’d 90% of the way from New England to Bermuda, using the RDF beacon on Gibbs Hill to zero in on the island.

I do not miss those days.

if you want to use a sextant, the Bermuda trip is a good challenge. You can easily do it with morning, noon, and afternoon sun sights, without resorting to stars or the moon, which is a special challenge.

Another thing to do is take a single GPS fix, tape over the display, then keep your best DR for 24 hours, and run your DR forward. Plot that, then uncover the GPS display and see

how good your DR was.

Me, I’d just take a backup hand-held GPS, but I’ve already paid my dues.

estarzinger

Super Anarchist
Bermuda.

sun sights
Practically actually doing sights is not difficult (at all) - it is just some addition/subtraction on a pre-laid out form (or having your phone do them automatically).  I taught Beth how to do sights out our window in Gothenburg Sweden.  Her first attempt had an error - second try was perfect.

Understanding the geometry behind the sights (which you don't need to understand to actually be able to do them) is not hard if you have a geometry sort of mind, and I would guess not hard for you.  There are several good books - some of which click with some people and others which click with other sorts of minds.  It is really only a straightforward Geometry problem . . . . but there are some stumbling blocks and you have to want to learn it.

I actually preferred star sights to sun sights - more fun I thought and gave you an immediate high precision fix- used them a bunch in the Tuamotus the first time we went thru.  I still have my old sextant - lots of memories.

Coming back from Bermuda you dont need celestial at all ever.  You just head west and you will see land :)   Hitting Bermuda without GPS (and without rdf which also makes it a doodle) is quite doable if you keep a good DR and look for contrails and 'cloud over the land' (and asking passing ships for a location).  But I have known several people who took a couple days to find it once their DR said they were in the right general location. . . . But you can always just give up and head back west.

On your boat solo, I guess bermuda is 5 or 6 days? So a 2ish week trip there and back?

Beth and I got the crap kicked out of us in the golf stream the first time we went to Bermuda, but I think you already know more than we did back then.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
Is the RDF beacon still active? I would think it was decommissioned years ago. 

The sun sight thing is a "want" not a requirement.  It's for entertainment and education value.  

estarzinger

Super Anarchist
Is the RDF beacon still active? I would think it was decommissioned years ago. 
The latest radio nav aids pub I have says it is.

I seem to remember that there were also other signals you could rdf on there also.

We’ve only had nine summers cruising Maine … still so much more to do. The first three were a long time ago, then a hiatus that consisted of trucking the kids around the junior regatta circuit, then paying for prep school and college tuition, and finally back to cruising again the last six summers since then. We have a boat rule — each cruise has to be half new places, half old. When we run out of new then Nova Scotia/Newfoundland beckons.

You absolutely must come back. This is some of the best cruising anywhere on this planet (though if this thick as shit fog could lift out just a little …)

Tonight we’re anchored up in Long Cove next to Tenants Harbor. We’ve been to Tenants many times, but is this too close to count as new?

But we can’t see Tenants or much else for that matter. The fog be thick.

Ishmael

Fuctifino
I'm envious, we don't have a nice warm- water destination within 5-6 days. Hawaii is OK, but it's at least a couple of weeks of open ocean, and the first half is cold. 

py26129

Super Anarchist
Montreal
Tonight we’re anchored up in Long Cove next to Tenants Harbor. We’ve been to Tenants many times, but is this too close to count as new?

But we can’t see Tenants or much else for that matter. The fog be thick.
Whether you can see it or not. It counts in my book!!

We are still discovering new places here in our little lake and I can see most of it from almost any anchorage 

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
I'm envious, we don't have a nice warm- water destination within 5-6 days. Hawaii is OK, but it's at least a couple of weeks of open ocean, and the first half is cold. 
Well… don’t tell anybody.  But Columbia River is (in the summer time) warm fresh water, navigable for 500 miles, huge paddle-able estuary, world-class wind sports, summer skiing, hiking, bicycling, wine countries…

Oh, just forget that I said anything.   

Autonomous

Turgid Member
PNW
Well… don’t tell anybody.  But Columbia River is (in the summer time) warm fresh water, navigable for 500 miles, huge paddle-able estuary, world-class wind sports, summer skiing, hiking, bicycling, wine countries…

Oh, just forget that I said anything.   
Shhh. Quite good mountain biking that is best on windy days when the fun hogs are riding their boards on the river. There are ticks so use some bug repellent. Oh, and mountain lions too. Sometime I'll tell you about our <50' encounter.

toddster

Super Anarchist
The Gorge
Yes! And bears and rattlesnakes and poison oak, and… and… foul-mouthed squirrels.  Best everyone stay away.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
Admit it, Ajax.   You're going to end up doing a circumnavigation.
I really don't have that desire, even now. Like @B.J. Portersays, I want to sail around in the world, not sail around the world.  Europe would definitely be in the cards. We'll have to see how I feel physically, around retirement time. If I'm still full of vim and vigor, I may go far.