This is why we can't have nice things....

Tacoma Mud Flats

Have star, will steer by
Never heard of the CG scuttling anything during SAR. To bad the article didn’t at least say where the DOA had transited from.

There is more to the story apparently. Read Peter Swanson's full article, link here:


Their trawler is famous for having been built from the keel up for transoceanic passages, so Eden Bound’s latest Pacific Ocean voyage should not have ended the way it did—towed for more than 200 miles behind a Coast Guard cutter.
The 1995 Cape Horn 58 arrived at the Kewalo Basin Harbor marina at Honolulu at 8 a.m. on Thursday. The Coast Guard said it first found the boat adrift four days earlier 230 nautical miles southwest of Oahu.
Aboard were owners Miriam Schafer and Joseph Nardi, who were bringing Eden Bound back home to Hawaii to sell her. According to the Coast Guard news release, they essentially had run out of diesel. “The rescue and assistance team determined that the vessel had only 40 gallons of fuel left, which the master was saving for the ship’s generator,” the news release said.
If true, that wasn’t a bad decision: Shut her down and wait for the cavalry. Back in 1997, PassageMaker magazine—my old shop—reported that Eden Bound would burn a gallon of diesel to go 1.3 nautical miles at 7 knots. Continuing would have gotten the boat somewhat closer to Hawaii, but she then would have stalled and eventually gone dark.
“Haha! That’s so funny,” Schaffer replied to an email inquiry from Waldman. “Yes, we took on some contaminated fuel. We were 100 percent operational and safe at all times!” She did concede, however, that it had been an “overwhelming journey.”

But more to the point, the boat came with what at the time was an innovative fuel system, which was a point of great pride for Sever. And the boat has tankage for 3,500 gallons of diesel, plenty for a 3,300-nautical-mile passage from Guam to Oahu.
Let us assume, then, that Schaffer and Nardi embarked with full tanks. As it turns out, the man is an experienced mariner. As Waldman said, “I can’t imagine they would be so budget-conscious not to top off, even with diesel at $7 a gallon.” If so, they had not run out of fuel, as the Coast Guard suggested, they had run out of usable fuel, which, according to Sever, should have been nigh impossible. Here’s what he said in one of his brochures:
As with all other key safety matters, we go further than any other manufacturer. Our fuel is filtered, at minimum, four times before it reaches the engines – to one micron, meaning neither bacteria nor water can get through.
The principle and execution are simple: Whenever fuel is moved aboard a Cape Horn it must pass through a bank of 3’ high, all stainless steel, twin 1-micron filters which remove literally everything which could be harmful. The filter is a commercial one, used mainly for hospitals, factories and big ships – those who store large quantities of fuel for long periods and cannot afford to take chances.
Whenever fuel is moved on a Cape Horn, all contaminants and water are removed, period.
(About concluding a paragraph with the word “period,” when someone uses this rhetorical technique, not only is he or she attempting to cut off discussion, but they are also tempting the Gods—never a good idea. In this case, the Gods were merciful. No one got hurt. Nothing broke.)
Last edited:


Cambridge UK
Whenever fuel is moved on a Cape Horn, all contaminants and water are removed, period.
Unless you have enough contaminated fuel on your trip that the filters are fouled and you have to bypass them or they get damaged and aren't actually doing their job -- or someone by passed them during maintenance etc.


Super Anarchist
East central Illinois
Never heard of the CG scuttling anything during SAR. To bad the article didn’t at least say where the DOA had transited from.
I don't have the skills to find it, but a few years ago there was an awful thread on here about a guy who was asked to scuttle his boat before CG rescue, if I recall correctly off the west coast on a return trip from Hawaii.



Does USPS Worldwide Expedited shipping include a bottle of single malt and a fine cigar or something?
Last edited:


Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
I don't have the skills to find it, but a few years ago there was an awful thread on here about a guy who was asked to scuttle his boat before CG rescue, if I recall correctly off the west coast on a return trip from Hawaii.
sounds like Skip Allan and Wildflower.



Capt. Marvel's Wise Friend
Vancouverium BC
Bad name choice - "little experience sailing" Department

“...they just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. But now that the boat is on the beach, we got to make sure that we don’t have our taxpayers and visitors in harm’s way of a big old giant sailboat..."

Courtesy of the Islander (​

Stranded sailboat "Lucky Us" and owner faces challenges

by Ryan Paice .

thumb image

James Golembiewski leans Feb. 16 on the bow of his sailboat, Lucky Us 2, which crashed onshore in Holmes Beach shortly after a U.S. Coast Guard crew rescued Golembiewski and two others Feb. 11 during a storm. Islander Photo: Ryan Paice

This photo of the Lucky Us 2 was shot Feb. 11 by Susan Timmins as the boat came ashore, with gear and dinghy onboard. The occupants were evacuated by the U.S. Coast Guard before the boat broke anchor.

Beachwalkers observe the Lucky Us 2 Feb. 13, after it was stripped by unknown people of some of gear. Islander Photo: Ryan Quigley

The clock is ticking for a sailboat that washed ashore on Anna Maria Island.

Michigan resident James Golembiewski, the boat’s owner, told The Islander Feb. 16 that the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission gave him 21 days — until March 7 — to recover the 1981 Young Sun 35-foot sailboat named Lucky Us 2 from the shoreline in Holmes Beach.

If Golembiewski fails to remove the boat or raise the $10,000 needed for a tow, the FWC will remove and dispose of the boat and charge Golembiewski with its cost.
At press time for The Islander on Feb. 20, Golembiewski scuttled his plans to make an attempt at high tide with a group of boat captains and their boats to pull the sailboat into deeper water.

Golembiewski, 37, said he purchased the sailboat in Jacksonville last November for about $14,000 and spent almost as much for repairs ahead of its launch in December.

He has been a professional tree climber for 15 years and has little experience in sailing, but his childhood friend from Michigan, identified to The Islander only as Nick, has sailing experience and was along for the voyage.

The pair set off with Anclote Key in Pinellas County as their destination — a 400-mile trip — and made it around much of the Florida peninsula without many issues, even picking up another passenger along the way.

“We’ve had difficulties here and there but we’ve overcome many electrical obstacles, mechanical obstacles,” Golembiewski said. “We are high-spirited. … It has been a real journey.”

However, by Feb. 11, the vessel’s luck appeared to run dry.

Golembiewski said the sail ripped early that day, so they crafted a makeshift sail with the remains, using a technique called “reefing.”

The makeshift sail was good enough to take them another 50 miles, when a storm came up and weather conditions were too rough to continue.

“All of a sudden these waves started hitting us real hard and real bad,” Golembiewski said. “It was like being in a car wreck over and over again.”

Golembiewski and the crew anchored in 16-20 feet of water a couple of miles off the coast of Holmes Beach with hopes the storm would pass.'

“I said, ‘We’ve got a good anchor, we’ve got a good boat, we’ll be fine,’” Golembiewski said. “This boat is designed to cross oceans. This boat is designed to go to different worlds.”

However, after 4-5 hours of waiting, the storm worsened, and the three sailors voted 2-1 to call for a rescue.

Golembiewski voted “no,” banking on the boat’s durability, but he changed his mind after the U.S. Coast Guard vessel arrived and advised him to evacuate the vessel.
Senior Chief William Flores of the Coast Guard Station Cortez told The Islander Feb. 17 that they received the call for a rescue around 3 a.m. Feb. 12.

Flores said when the Cortez crew found the vessel, there were waves 6-9 feet high and 25-knot sustained winds.

“They were having a real hard time and getting beaten up by the swells,” Flores said.

The Coast Guard tied up to the sailboat and escorted the trip from Lucky Us 2 and brought them back to shore.

“It was definitely a dangerous situation and we’re thankful we got the call early and were ready to get out there,” Flores said. “I’m really proud of the crew here and that they answered the call, did great given the circumstances and three lives were saved.”

“They did an amazing, fantastic job,” Golembiewski said.

A few hours after Golembiewski and his passengers were rescued, people reported seeing the sailboat crashing in the waves on the shore around 79th Street in Holmes Beach.

Golembiewski said he found the boat extensively damaged and the anchor broke off.

The boat also was missing a dinghy motor and grill, which were observed earlier when it washed ashore, according to Golembiewski.

The two removed gas and oil cans from the beached vessel, then tried to make the wreck as presentable as possible.

“Our first thing that we wanted to do was secure any diesel or anything that would hurt this beautiful island and area,” Golembiewski said.
Despite the boat’s condition, Golembiewski said it would still be able to sail if brought to deeper water.

His goal was to raise the vessel and complete the remaining 49-mile voyage to Anclote Keys off Tarpon Springs, where they intend to repair the boat.
Golembiewski told The Islander Feb. 18 that a local fisherman offered advice on how to shimmy the boat back out to sea with elbow grease, and they were going to try his method to avoid the cost of removal.

In the meantime, they’re living in a shuttle bus they own and brought to the area.

City code compliance supervisor JT Thomas told The Islander Feb. 16 that the city would not use taxpayer funds to pay for the vessel’s removal.

Thomas said code compliance would monitor the vessel and ensure it didn’t pose a threat to beachgoers and the environment.

“It wasn’t like it was negligence, they just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. But now that the boat is on the beach, we got to make sure that we don’t have our taxpayers and visitors in harm’s way of a big old giant sailboat,” Thomas said.

“We’re going to secure it and make sure they get it off our beach safely,” he added.

Golembiewski Feb. 15 created a GoFundMe campaign, “Help Unbeach Lucky Us 2,” to raise money for his cause. He said any extra money would be donated to a good cause, as suggested by Holmes Beach Mayor Judy Titsworth.

“We really do love the boat and we will not walk away from it,” Golembiewski said. “If this does work out and we leave Anna Maria Island, we will leave with thanks to the community.”


Sad the poor guy lost his boat this way. conditions didnt sound particularly harsh, but inshore, shallow wave action can be nasty on a falling tide - incredible secondary wave refraction off a beach can stop all forward motion dead. I used to gillnet salmon around one of the entrances to Cordova, just outside Prince William Sound. (Alaska). One spot was/is called the Mousetrap. It’s a bit of an eddy - low sweeping Sandy beach hooking deep around behind the western point of Strawberry entrance, east side of Hinchenbrook Island. the water is uniformly 10’ deep at mid tide - just enuf to get in and get in trouble, almost instantly when the tide falls. the wave action will suddenly turn into 8-9’ pyramidal waves, coming from three- sometimes four directions. Guys that go in there and get caught wrong stage of the tide very often don’t come back out. Lot of capsized boats and drownings over the years, in that one spot. This place sounds a lot like what these guys got into… I guess the lesson is, if you get caught on a Lee shore, do everything you can to pound your way out of there and get into deeper water - don’t stop until you find some semblance of deep ocean swell.
Last edited:


Capt. Marvel's Wise Friend
Vancouverium BC

Australian Sailing Report: Bed Sheet and Broomsticks Department

Man found paddling in circles on Lake George in boat with sail made from bed sheet and broomstick

Courtesy ABC News (

By Charlotte Gore
Posted Thu 2 Mar 2023 at 9:37pmThursday 2 Mar 2023 at 9:37pm, updated Thu 2 Mar 2023 at 10:09pmThursday 2 Mar 2023 at 10:09pm

A small boat on the water at night.

The man was reportedly paddling in circles on Lake George, with only one oar.(Supplied)
Help keep family & friends informed by sharing this article

A man whose small boat was spotted in trouble off the shore of a lake just outside Canberra had to be rescued by the NSW State Emergency Service (SES).
According to a Facebook post, witnesses said the boat had a "roughly crafted sail made from a broomstick and a bed sheet".

The man also appeared to have only one oar and be paddling in circles about 2 kilometres off the lake's south-western shore.

A spokesman for the NSW SES said the man took the vessel onto Lake George earlier in the day in calmer weather.
"At 7:30pm last night, the NSW SES received a call for help when a man was found paddling in a small vessel on Lake George," he said.

"The man started paddling during the day when the weather was calmer and became stranded on the lake as the wind picked up."

Police vehicles at the edge of a lake at nighttime.

The NSW SES took to the lake after the sun had set, using spotlights to help bring the man safely to shore.(Supplied)

The spokesman said volunteers from the Bungendore SES Unit responded to the incident.

"The man was able to safely paddle to shore by using the lights of the SES vehicle as a guide," he said.

"SES volunteers then helped pull the man and his vessel safely to shore.

"The NSW SES strongly encourages members of the community to take appropriate safety measures when undertaking water activities, including the wearing of a life jacket."

Lake George, where the man was sailing, is currently full of water, but is sometimes empty for years at a time, due to the way it fills and empties from rainfall and evaporation.

This incident as if painted by an abstract impressionist:

Last edited:


Capt. Marvel's Wise Friend
Vancouverium BC

A sailboat ran aground at Pirate's Cove during the latest storm.

Port San Luis Harbor Patrol says the boat anchored at the cove overnight despite Harbor Patrol recommending against it.

Tuesday morning, Harbor Patrol officers noticed that the 30-foot vessel from Morro Bay had been washed into the rocks.



Capt. Marvel's Wise Friend
Vancouverium BC
Glug Glug Department -

Abandoned tugboat sinks near Ballard; SFD and Coast Guard respond​

Mar 20, 2023, 1:55 PM | Updated: 2:50 pm

(Photo from the US Coast Guard)
Courtesy MyNorthwest

A derelict tugboat sunk in Salmon Bay Monday morning, with Seattle Fire (SFD) and the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) responding to the incident.

At about 10:48 a.m., crews responded to a scene in the 5300 block of 26th Avenue SW.

Two other abandoned vessels were tied off to the tugboat at the time of the sinking. These have been secured and do not present a hazard to maritime traffic.

No one was aboard the vessels, but one of them did sink, SFD said in a tweet.

USCG confirmed that there were no pollutants on board. All diesel and oily water was removed in 2021 after the vessel was deemed derelict.

Love that sound-

One down, three to go