This is why we can't have nice things....

Grande Mastere Dreade

Snag's spellchecker
What's more embarrassing? Running aground, or having 9 cops show up?
ha , got that beat... fellow member of our fleet, takes his boat down to the spillway and is sailing parallel to it when he runs aground on the mud and concrete foot of the spillway... so as usual, when a boat is doing anything on the lake , all the people on shore dial 911...

"there's a sailboat about to go over the spillway..... he's going to dieeeeee"

well John being a smart fellow, could have easily jumped over the side and pushed himself off and climbed back into the boat, but since he doesn't have any common sense.. he didn't

so not only do the cops show up, the news helicopters show up, and firemen who do the water rescues show up.. along with the crowd on the shoreline... and to make matters worse, the fireman who parked the big ass fire engine on the boat ramp, somehow left in in neutral with the parking brake off and it rolled cab first into the water and flooding the thing...

at no point was John or his boat in any danger as the flow over the spillway is mostly negligible unless it's raining.

and the best part, is a week after it happened... John is sitting at the club and goes.

"Hyuck, guess what happened to me... " in his best Goofy voice.. fucking priceless

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
08C0D046-F53F-4979-BDD8-075D54AF674B.jpeg

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Memorizing them on Endeavour would have been a chore had I not had a chance to devour the entire Jack Aubrey series during a Scotland>Gibraltar voyage on a 38' block of flats (ferrocement sloop).

Grizz

Beats the crap out of me
Northport, NY
Memorizing them on Endeavour would have been a chore had I not had a chance to devour the entire Jack Aubrey series during a Scotland>Gibraltar voyage on a 38' block of flats (ferrocement sloop).
Gotta have well-bowsed cross-catharpings, IIRC. People seem to either love O’Brian or hate him. I’m in the former group.

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
I sailed across the atlantic on a ferro schooner that I referred to once as a floating sidewalk. Capn was not amused.

Talchotali

Capt. Marvel's Wise Friend
Vancouverium BC
Footage surfaces of the latest Orca vs. Sailboat wars off of Portugal. Embedded, so you have to follow the link:

https://www.9news.com.au/world/orca...continue/1c09a9d7-9351-4261-80b3-fbbf3325a483

1668027159242.png

Emergency Services: "Are the bilge pumps running?"

Portuguese Maritime Authority:

Sailboat with four crew on board sinks off Viana do Castelo

01 NOV 2022 15:25

A French-flagged sailboat, with four crew on board, sank this morning following an ingress of water on board, after an alleged interaction with orcas, about 14 nautical miles (approximately 25 kilometers) west of the port of Viana do Castle.
Following an alert received at 12:05 pm, through the Lisbon Maritime Search and Rescue Coordination Center (MRCC Lisboa), theinforming that a sailboat with four crew on board was at risk of sinking, crew members of the Viana do Castelo Lifeguard Station were immediately activated.
Upon arrival at the site, it was found that the four crew members had been rescued by a sailboat that was nearby, and they were in good physical condition and did not need medical assistance.
The injured sailboat ended up sinking, and the crew of the Viana do Castelo Lifeguard Station proceeded to collect various wreckage, and no source of pollution was detected at the site.
The local Command of the Maritime Police of Viana do Castelo took care of the occurrence and a warning will be given to navigation, for safety reasons.
Viana do Castelo Lifeguard Station was on site

Further discussion in the SA "Damn Orcas" thread: https://forums.sailinganarchy.com/threads/damn-orcas.238044/

Talchotali

Capt. Marvel's Wise Friend
Vancouverium BC
What...is...tiller?

4 People Rescued From Sailboat After Autopilot Failure

Courtesy of the Bay Bulletin / November 14, 2022

Four people aboard a 48-foot sailboat narrowly avoided disaster at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay, as their boat sailed in and out of shipping traffic in the middle of the night with what appeared to be no one at the helm. They ultimately had to be rescued by the Coast Guard.

Coast Guard Sector Virginia says a good Samaritan reported around 2 a.m. Monday that the sailing vessel Irish Tango was “sailing erratically and impeding oncoming traffic” in Thimble Shoal Channel, two miles east of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. The good Samaritan also said the sailboat was crossing back and forth across the bow of an approaching container ship.

The container ship, the Coast Guard, and Virginia pilots all attempted to reach the people aboard Irish Tango, but there was no response.

The boat owner and three other sailors told the Coast Guard they had been at sea for 48 hours in harsh weather and were set off track. Their engine was functioning properly, but the autopilot was down.

Ultimately, a USCG 45-foot Response Boat-Medium from Station Little Creek responded and towed the sailboat to Little Creek.
The four people aboard were taken ashore at Cobbs Marina, where EMS crews checked them out as a precaution, but no one was injured. The Coast Guard blamed the sailors’ fatigue for having put Irish Tango in such a risky situation.

“This crew was lucky,” said Petty Officer 1st class Michael Anderson, Station Little Creek coxswain on duty. “Fatigue can be just as dangerous as any storm or hazard to navigation. On the water things don’t often go like you planned, so always have a back-up plan.”

According to marinetraffic.com, S/V Irish Tango was back underway and leaving Little Creek as of Monday afternoon.
-Meg Walburn Viviano