This is why we can't have nice things....


Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Every time I see a reference to those Santa Ana winds I think of this bit of Raymond Chandler;

“There was a desert wind blowing that night. It was one of those hot dry Santa Anas that come down through the mountain passes and curl your hair and make your nerves jump and your skin itch. On nights like that every booze party ends in a fight. Meek little wives feel the edge of the carving knife and study their husbands' necks."​



Capt. Marvel's Wise Friend
Vancouverium BC
The audio on the video is amusing...

Your Navy

Two Navy ships just got too close for comfort in San Diego Bay​

By Geoff Ziezulewicz (courtesy of the Navy Times)

Nov 29, 05:38 PM

The Navy is investigating how two ships nearly collided Tuesday in San Diego Bay. (Screenshot/Twitter)

The Navy is investigating what led to two service ships nearly colliding Tuesday in San Diego Bay.

The purported close call involved the guided-missile destroyer Momsen and the dock landing ship Harpers Ferry.

Officials did not confirm precisely what time the incident occurred Tuesday, but a video of the encounter was posted to Twitter at about 10:30 a.m. Pacific Standard Time by the @SanDiegoWebCam account.

“Warship Chicken in San Diego Bay,” the text accompanying the video states.

The video shows Momsen and Harpers Ferry headed straight toward each other before each ship turns left.

The footage also appears to include audio of the ship’s crews communicating their moves.

While the ships were transiting in opposite directions “in close vicinity” Tuesday, both ships maneuvered to safety, according to U.S. 3rd Fleet spokesman Lt. Samuel Boyle.

There were no injuries or damage to the ships, he said.


Capt. Marvel's Wise Friend
Vancouverium BC
I note that the pictured Boat A does not match Boat B; I've asked for clarification. Lovely skyline shots though.

Courtesy of the West Seattle Herald:

UPDATE: Boat abandoned at Don Armeni boat launch sinks (again and again)​

Seattle Fire emergency responders were tending to a boat that had been abandoned at the Don Armeni Boat Launch on Christmas Eve.

Photo by Patrick Robinson

Sun, 12/25/2022

Update 9:45am Dec. 25

The sailboat that has been tied up to the finger pier at Don Armeni boat launch has sunk yet again. It represents a navigation hazard and obviously blocks others from docking there. Seattle Fire Department people and according to neighbors even members of the Coast Guard were seen to have come down to have a look. The boat was pumped out last night but overnight sank again. There's no official word as yet on what might be done but typically the city hauls them out of the water (sometimes with help from the SPD dive squad to attach a line) and then loads them on a flatbed truck. That has not happened as yet.

sunken boat
The sunken sail boat at Don Armeni as of Christmas morning. Reader photo
Original Post Dec. 24

A 22 foot sailboat called Little Brother, last registered in 2020, was abandoned at the Don Armeni boat launch on Dec. 14. It did not draw much attention despite the fact that it went underwater yesterday.

A neighbor across the street said, "I saw a guy leave it there 3 weeks ago. He never came back! It's been sitting there ever since. It sank once, yesterday. Then resurfaced this morning at 2am"

But once it sank a second time it prompted a call to 911 and more than 10 units responded but quickly "code greened" once it became clear no one was on board.

Emergency responders nonetheless brought a pump to the scene and pumped the water out.

The neighbor further explained, "I watched him leave the lot with trailer at a high rate of speed! It was strange."

The craft was last registered in 2020 and is most likely stolen the neighbor speculated.

This isn't the only boat abandoned in the area recently. A larger sailboat, allegedly abandoned by a local drug dealer was tied up south of Salty's on Alki a few weeks ago. It was not securely moored and the person who tied it up had been arrested on warrants as part of a major drug bust according to neighbors who saw the arrest take place. That boat was not attended to and subsequently took on water and remains sunk about 30 feet deep.

pirate boat
An abandoned sailboat that was tied up near Salty's on Alki has sunk and remains underwater. Photo by Patrick Robinson

It can cost over $10,000 to properly dispose of a boat that is no longer in working order. Some owners are choosing to abandon them instead; causing big problems for marina managers and the environment.


Capt. Marvel's Wise Friend
Vancouverium BC

Sailboat stuck under Dania Beach Boulevard bridge


Courtesey: 7 NEWS WSVN
JANUARY 3, 2023

DANIA BEACH, FLA. (WSVN) - There was trouble on the water in South Florida after a sailboat got stuck under the Dania Beach Boulevard bridge over the Intracoastal Waterway.

Video here:

The drawbridge was forced to stay up, which backed up traffic on the roadway, Tuesday afternoon.

Tow boats freed the vessel from the bridge, allowing the roadway to reopen.
Its mast was badly bent after colliding with the bridge.
Last edited:


Capt. Marvel's Wise Friend
Vancouverium BC

High Winds Send Sailboat Aground in Santa Barbara

Courtesy of the Santa Barbara Independent
Boat Was Abandoned; Harbor Patrol on Scene
Credit: Sarah Sinclair
Wed Jan 04, 2023 | 9:16am
Credit: Sarah Sinclair
Easterly winds kicking up in advance of Wednesday’s predicted storm were strong enough to drag the Norma Zane‘s anchor and fling her onto Santa Barbara’s East Beach early this morning. The Indy‘s advertising director Sarah Sinclair happened to be there and captured the scene in photos.
The boat ran aground at around 6:40 a.m., and the Harbor Patrol had arrived by 7:15 a.m., Sinclair said, putting up signs to warn people away from the unstable boat. The gusty winds were blowing the tops off the waves, she noted, though it was calmer in town.
Erik Engebretson, a supervisor with the Harbor Patrol, said no one was on board when the Norma Zane reached the beach. The Harbor Patrol knew who was living aboard, however, and had advised them and all the boats at anchor and in the mooring area off Stearns Wharf to come into the harbor. Many often take their chances and remain at sea. Another sailboat ran aground at Butterfly Beach yesterday.
Last edited:

Vieux Port

le Port
Well-loved boat now likely faces the crusher.

The dilemma of when a family has to pass on the boat of a departed sailor.


Transport Canada investigating abandoned sailboat at Bayfront Park​

By Alex Last
Courtesy CHC
January 6, 2023, 8:24 pm
For several months now, a sailboat has been abandoned in the waters off of Bayfront Park in Hamilton.
The vessel called Kraken has been tied to a rock, floating just offshore, in a popular area for walking.
The late doctor Patrick O’Boyle Kelly owned the Viking 28 sailboat, Kraken, for about forty years. His son, Daniel O’Boyle Kelly says, “he did win the Club Championship which had eluded him for so many years.”
Daniel says the Belleville-based doctor sailed the Kraken to a Bay of Quinte Yacht Club Championship in 2011, and won a string of other races before his death in 2019 at the age of 91, building on the Kraken’s history of winning races in the 1980s.
Daniel says the last time Kelly skippered the Kraken was with him, during the 50th running of the Katie Gray Regatta in 2018, securing third place at the age of 90 while also battling Parkinson’s. It ended up being the last time kelly would ever sail.
After that Daniel says he sold the Kraken to a young couple in Toronto before it changed hands at least one more time, eventually becoming a minor maritime mystery in Hamilton, arriving several months ago in Bayfront Park, abandoned.
“It’s a bit shocking that the boat itself after a long history with our family… that its ended up this way in the state it’s in,” Daniel said.
A search of the federal government’s online vessel registry returned no results tied to what appears to be the registration number on the side of the boat. A search for vessels named Kraken returned several results but none appear to be this boat.
Hamilton police say despite the lack of an active registration, they have identified and contacted the last owner who they say is unable to have the boat removed.
John Morris of Canadian Yachting Onboard says the owner may have had difficulty disposing of it or selling it, despite estimating its worth at under $5,000.
“Very, very hard to scrap a boat, they’re fiberglass, they’re plastic you know… which means both that some boats are being abandoned and other boats are becoming bargains for the people who know to buy them,” Morris said.
Police alerted the coast guard about the Kraken sparking an investigation that determined the boat is in relatively good shape, not listing, protected from bad weather, and in shallow waters, meaning it is not considered a vessel of concern.
The coast guard says there is a dispute over who is responsible for the abandonment,
telling CHCH News that Transport Canada is now conducting its own investigation.


Capt. Marvel's Wise Friend
Vancouverium BC

Rare Appearance of the Sacred Falls of the Harmony of the Seas

Rolling moment and high deck pools. One source says a "hard-a-port" was telegraphed to avoid a small raft, and another source says it was a small sailboat. Lifelines apparently strained out pool swimmers from falling death.


Must watch on YouTube due to restriction (click on link)

Last edited:


Capt. Marvel's Wise Friend
Vancouverium BC
Truck Crashes into Bay’s Oldest Skipjack at Bulkhead, Driver Charged


A pickup truck badly damaged the National Historic Landmark's stern. Photo: Kevin Smith, Sr.

Truck Crashes into Bay’s Oldest Skipjack at Bulkhead, Driver Charged​

Courtesey of the Bay News

The Chesapeake Bay’s oldest surviving skipjack—a National Historic Landmark—is badly damaged after a vehicle parked near the bulkhead crashed right onto its stern.


The historic sail-powered skipjack Rebecca T. Ruark, built in 1886, will not be going out dredging oysters in January this year thanks to a freak accident at its Tilghman Island dock.

On Dec. 27, the driver of a 1997 Chevrolet pickup truck ran through a piling at Dogwood Harbor on Tilghman Island where the boat was tied up and landed onto the starboard portion of the stern. St. Michaels Fire Department members were dispatched to reports of a “vehicle into bulkhead into boat”.

Wade Murphy III, whose father Wade Jr. owns the boat, told us the truck’s driver is lucky that the vehicle came to a stop on the skipjack because if he had gone in the water he could have “drowned or froze to death.”



Charles Riggs of Salisbury, Md. is charged with driving under the influence. Photo: Talbot County Sheriff’s Office

Talbot County Sheriff’s Deputies identified the driver as Charles Arthur Riggs, 45, of Salisbury, Md. A sheriff’s department spokesman tells us deputies “detected signs of alcohol impairment” and witnesses had seen Riggs drinking at a local establishment, then driving away erratically just prior to the crash into the Rebecca T Ruark. Riggs was charged with driving under the influence.

Murphy said that the crash tore off the starboard aft corner of the boat, taking out the railing, a portion of the stern, davits, and GPS. “We are not going to know for sure what else has happened until we get her hauled,” said Murphy. “She is not leaking any worse than she was before the accident so that’s a good sign.”

Murphy said he is going to have several boat carpenters come and look at the damage and “we plan to fix her.” Riggs provided his insurance card to Murphy at the scene, said Murphy.

Wade (Wady) Murphy Jr. is the oldest skipjack captain in the Maryland oyster dredge fleet and is considered one of the most knowledgeable.

The Rebecca T. Ruark was built in 1886 at Taylor’s Island, Maryland as a sloop and is now the oldest working vessel in the sail dredge fishery. She was named to the National Register of Historic Places in 2003.

Wade Murphy III represents four generations of Tilghman Island watermen to dredge oysters under sail. He is owner and captain of the skipjack Hilda M. Willing.

“Dad has gotten some age on him so the last few years in January myself and my crew go out with him on the Rebecca and work her with him,” he said. “We will have to stay with my boat this year.”

-Larry Chowning

Video from wboc:

Last edited:

Vieux Port

le Port
Looking at the rended (rent /1) ends of some of the lumber of the deckhouse as displaced by the crash, the event might be fortuitous if the driver has good insurance.

Hope they fix 'er so she can sail for another 130 years.

/1 Grammarly accuses me of using archaic English it I say "rent".


Capt. Marvel's Wise Friend
Vancouverium BC
Close Alert


Courtesy: CW34 (​

Man chases sailboat from Maryland to Palm Beach County

by Gary Detman
Friday, February 3rd 2023
Thief chased from Maryland to Palm Beach County. (FWC)
Facebook Share Icon Twitter Share Icon
Email Share Icon
JUPITER, Fla. (CBS12) — A 1,000 mile chase came to an end in Palm Beach County.
The chase involved a man in a car and an individual on a sailboat who may have taken some items that didn't belong to them. The cat-and-mouse game took them from a marina in Maryland to Peanut Island.
The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) said it all began in Maryland when a man walked on his boat and noticed about $30,000 worth of items missing. They included an anchor, bow thruster, and an underwater drone. The cockpit table, normally bolted to the floor, also vanished.
Authorities said the man walked over to an area where he'd seen a twin sailboat earlier in the day. The sailboat was already heading south on the water. However, the man found his cockpit table.
The FWC said the man drove down the coast, all the way to Jupiter to file a report and ask for help in locating the boat.
Lady Luck happened to be on his side. As the man spoke with an FWC investigator on the dock, that twin 50-foot sailboat drifted by in the Intracoastal Waterway.
Officers detained the man and his boat and confiscated a number of items. Investigators used photographs and serial numbers to verify ownership and returned them to their rightful owner.
The individual on the sailboat was not arrested or cited, FWC said.
Version from the FWC Facebook account:
MyFWC Florida Fish and Wildlife
1d ·
1,000-Mile Chase Case
A guy boards his boat in a Maryland marina and immediately notices the cockpit table, usually bolted to the floor, is gone! Items totaling around $30,000 including an anchor, bow thruster, underwater drone and more were missing. Walking down to an area where he had earlier seen a twin sailboat, all he found on the dock was a pile of canvas and the cockpit table from his own boat! The victim made a police report, then suspecting the twin sailboat was heading south, he drove down the east coast, stopping in Jupiter to look for the FWC office to report the crime in Florida and to ask for help locating the boat. The victim spotted an FWC officer on the dock before getting to the office. To his shock, as he was explaining what happened and describing the 50’ sailboat, the very same vessel was sailing past them on the Intracoastal Waterway, making (another) getaway! The suspect had a pretty good head start, but after tracking him on the busy waterway, our officers were able to make contact with the individual and were given permission to board his vessel. Once aboard, our officers were able to verify ownership using photos and serial numbers provided by the victim and confiscate those items. Some of the property in question is shown in the photo and our officers are smiling because… what a case!

Not sure why the guy wasn't arrested. Interstate theft, FBI case?


Capt. Marvel's Wise Friend
Vancouverium BC

Normally you don't see a stone bridge built to a sailboat grounding...

Courtesy "the Redheaded Blackbelt" (Humbolt Bay)

A clever plan, a bunch of rocks, a rope, and several determined firefighters saved the day for three folks whose 28’ sailboat ran aground off the town of Samoa on Humboldt Bay Saturday afternoon.
Our local US Coast Guard posted on their Facebook page, “When the Sector Humboldt Bay Command Center received a call from this 28’ sailing vessel, they immediately dispatched assets from Station Humboldt Bay and USCGC BARRACUDA, but the sailboat was already too far aground to get close.
“Due to the low water, the Coast Guard who arrived on scene [were] unable to maneuver close to the vessel,” reported the Samoa Peninsula Fire District on their Facebook page.
According to Leroy Zerlang of Zerlang and Zerlang Marine Services writing in the comment section of the Fire District’s post, “[The] next tide is 1100 on Sunday, older gentleman. No food, water or heat aboard.”
The US Coast Guard called for assistance and, of course, firefighters sprang into action to find a path for the sailboat occupants to escape.
Samoa Peninsula Fire District volunteer firefighters responded to the scene and carted in rocks to lay on the mudflat. They stretched a rope along the newly created walkway and assisted the folks aboard to the shore.

Depending on your browser/ad blocker, F-book links below:

The 'perilous trip' across the mud flats.

Last edited:


Capt. Marvel's Wise Friend
Vancouverium BC
Saltwater + Lithium Batteries = EXCITEMENT

Courtesy of Sail-World

Brits test boat catches fire after double capsize

by Compiled by Richard Gladwell/ 8 Feb 16:28 PST7 February 2023
INEOS Britannia - LEQ12 - February 8, 2023 - Mallorca © Ugo Fonolla / America's Cup
INEOS Britannia - LEQ12 - Mallorca - February 8, 2023 - Day 24
INEOS Britannia, Britain's challenger for the 37th America 's Cup, has suffered damage to their T6 Test Boat after a capsize incident during a test day on Palma Bay, Mallorca in Spain.
The capsize incident happened four hours into the test day after rounding up from a downwind course to an upwind course in 18 knots of breeze.
After initially lying on its side, T6 rolled over to fully invert in the water with mast and double skinned main sail submerged, work quickly began to get her back upright.
INEOS Britannia crew before the sailing session. Ben Ainslie centre and Giles Scott on his left - LEQ12 - February 8, 2023 - Mallorca - photo © Ugo Fonolla / America's Cup
INEOS Britannia crew before the sailing session. Ben Ainslie centre and Giles Scott on his left - LEQ12 - February 8, 2023 - Mallorca - photo © Ugo Fonolla / America's Cup
The shore crew and sailors worked together for over two hours and after initially righting T6 back on its side they were able to fully right the yacht. T6 was then side towed by support boat back to the team base, where a full assessment of damage is under way.
The team also faced further challenges when the lithium batteries, that powers the yachts systems, reacted to seawater ingress causing a fire on board. The response was well managed with specialist training coming to the fore to mitigate the damage.
INEOS Britannia Skipper and Team Principal Sir Ben Ainslie said, "It was a tough situation for the team once T6 fully inverted. Everyone came together well to resolve what could have been a much more serious issue in salvaging the yacht. Thankfully everyone is safe, and we can now focus on repairing the damage as part of a pre-scheduled upgrade window at the end of this week."
Top sailing journalist, Justin Chisholm who is also part of the AC37 Joint Recon team assigned to stalk the British team, was on the water and describes the incident:
INEOS Britannia suffered a setback to their campaign today after capsizing their T6 LEQ12 test boat during a fast and furious testing session in winds gusting to 18 knots on Palma Bay.
The team had enjoyed two and half hours of high speed sailing in winds of 15 to 18 knots and had comfortably pulled off a number of foiling tacks and gybes as well as bear aways and roundups.
At shortly before 1600, after a blistering downwind run that had left the team's chase boats and the recon team struggling to keep up the boat rounded up onto a reach but then seemed to get out of kilter with leeward heel and a big bow up.
After the subsequent splash down the boat was quickly back up and foiling, but seconds later the crew seemed to lose control and the boat capsized.
It went over on its starboard side and was quickly righted with assistance from the shore crew after a bow tow line was swiftly attached to the team's largest chase boat.
However, as the boat came upright the crew seemed unable to depower the mainsail and shortly after the boat capsized a second time - this time on its port side.
As the support team scrambled to set up for a second righting the mast and sails began to disappear as the boat turned fully turtle with its two foils and rudder pointing skywards.
The team's skipper Ben Ainslie - who had become separated from the boat - was quickly retrieved by a chase boat and immediately began to help coordinate the next stage of rescue operation. Meanwhile helmsman Giles Scott and flight controller/trimmer Bleddyn Mon had clambered over onto the bottom of the upturned hull where they were joined by boat captain Chris Schirmer.
One of the last shots of INEOS Britannia before the capsize - LEQ12 - February 8, 2023 - Mallorca - photo © Ugo Fonolla / America's Cup
One of the last shots of INEOS Britannia before the capsize - LEQ12 - February 8, 2023 - Mallorca - photo © Ugo Fonolla / America's Cup
With the boat upside down there was a risk of water ingress to the hull so the team attached a large inflatable buoy to the bow and fed a long sausage-shaped inflatable tube under the foredeck.
After the team's safety diver somehow managed to attach an inflatable buoy to the top of the inverted mast, a side tow line eventually got the boat back into the capsize position on to its starboard side.
This enabled the crew to cut away the double skin M2 mainsail and the J3 headsail - which were both hauled aboard a chase boat - before a long period of coordinated towing from the two ribs (one on the bow, the other pulling laterally on a line first attached to the hull and then shifted to the upturned port foil) eventually brought the boat upright.
INEOS Britannia - LEQ12 - February 8, 2023 - Mallorca - photo © Ugo Fonolla / America's Cup
INEOS Britannia - LEQ12 - February 8, 2023 - Mallorca - photo © Ugo Fonolla / America's Cup
With the bow of the boat submerged up to the mast, the support crew had to move fast to get several pumps onto the boat to avoid it becoming swamped. There were a few tense moments before the bow began to rise again but soon it was obvious that the pumps and the multiple buckets that had been deployed had done the job.
Then, with the tattered head of the mainsail and the orange inflatable buoy still at the top of the mast, T6 was coaxed gently towards Palma Port with a chase boat attached on either side.
Shortly before entering the harbour the crew had to deploy specialist fire extinguishers to deal with the boat's Lithium Ion batteries which had caught fire.
Back on the dock at 1855 the shore team was ready and waiting to attach crane lines and start to tidy the boat up ready for haul out.
Last edited:

Latest posts