Thomas Coville RTW attempt 2016

MR.CLEAN

Not here
So you're saying you are not going to enter the race? Damn, that's depressing. Which Ultim do you have?

imho, this 2019 ultim trimaran race around the word is above acceptable risk,
Clean, leave your sarcasm at home. He´s just telling what he thinks and you don´t have to be a formula one driver to see that this sport is dangerous

I'll use my sarcasm where I choose ET1, and a great place to use it is when someone says something like 'it is above acceptable risk' without explaining why their chosen level of risk is relevant. What you said: i.e. 'this sport is dangerous' - is still a mostly useless statement, but it is at least slightly objective - 'dangerous' is a bit more fact-based than the term 'acceptible', which includes the concept of 'acceptance'.

In other words, without an explanation of what he or she means by 'acceptable' risk, oceanwwgg's comment means literally nothing - which is why I asked him which boat he has. Few things bother me more than people with no connection at all complaining about the levels of risk with no context.

So let's talk about 'acceptable' risk and what it means: Do the sailors 'accept' the risk of a RTW multihull race? Do the sponsors and/or boat owners? Do the media 'accept' it? Do the medical advisors 'accept' the risk? How about the national sailing bodies? What about ISAF? And if all these people and organizations - all of them likely with more knowledge and experience and stake than oceanwwgg - accept the risk, doesn't that mean it is 'acceptible' on its face?

How about the fact that there was already a RTW race for giant multihulls more than a decade ago without any capsizes, and that safety has come a very, very long way since then?

Last edited by a moderator:
Alan, stop being an ass. The SA Forums are littered with statements/opinions, etc. that are ill conceived, uninformed and made by people who have no skin in the game.

If it wasn’t for all those comments which translate into clicks for you and The Ed, you would be sitting in some document review using Relativity and Scott would not own a Melges 32.

Who do you want to ban from commenting? All non-sailors? Sailors who have not sailed in the last 5 years? People who crew and don’t own a boat?

You act like you are a straight shooter. If you are, you’d probably like to hear when you are outrageously over the line … well, this is one of the dumbest things you have ever posted and is right up there with your “I’m not a journalist” riff of a few years ago.

On a lighter note, Happy New Year to you and your family.

So you're saying you are not going to enter the race? Damn, that's depressing. Which Ultim do you have?

imho, this 2019 ultim trimaran race around the word is above acceptable risk,
Clean, leave your sarcasm at home. He´s just telling what he thinks and you don´t have to be a formula one driver to see that this sport is dangerous
I'll use my sarcasm where I choose ET1, and a great place to use it is when someone says something like 'it is above acceptable risk' without explaining why their chosen level of risk is relevant. What you said: i.e. 'this sport is dangerous' - is still a mostly useless statement, but it is at least slightly objective - 'dangerous' is a bit more fact-based than the term 'acceptible', which includes the concept of 'acceptance'.

In other words, without an explanation of what he or she means by 'acceptable' risk, oceanwwgg's comment means literally nothing - which is why I asked him which boat he has. Few things bother me more than people with no connection at all complaining about the levels of risk with no context.

So let's talk about 'acceptable' risk and what it means: Do the sailors 'accept' the risk of a RTW multihull race? Do the sponsors and/or boat owners? Do the media 'accept' it? Do the medical advisors 'accept' the risk? How about the national sailing bodies? What about ISAF? And if all these people and organizations - all of them likely with more knowledge and experience and stake than oceanwwgg - accept the risk, doesn't that mean it is 'acceptible' on its face?

How about the fact that there was already a RTW race for giant multihulls more than a decade ago without any capsizes, and that safety has come a very, very long way since then?
Clean I will leave with ur sarcasm as my answer would lack of subtility."acceptable risk" ?

in 2002 route du rhum 5 or 6 orma tri capsized, no one die but rescue were on the biscay golf spot in less than 3 hours or less.

I think Race mode , rtw or on any spot, conduct to push harder on the boat and on the skipper than on a "Record" mode and for me it's too dangerous.

by nature multihull capsize, since 40 years in the north atlantic, but it's manageable by team and rescue team.

mixing solo rtw race + multihull and south ocean, it's not.

If an imoca capsized, a solo sailor can solve the situation and save his ass alone, on a multihull he can't, he's fucked.

Groupama 3 crew when they capsized in 2009 were very very very lucky, they were less than 200 miles from australia.

Everybody is free to register in or like any race, but this ultim race project could turn too much as a " Gladiator game" to my taste.

But I know some couch beer sailor will love it, are u one of them Clean ?

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Clean I will leave with ur sarcasm as my answer would lack of subtility."acceptable risk" ?

in 2002 route du rhum 5 or 6 orma tri capsized, no one die but rescue were on the biscay golf spot in less than 3 hours or less.

I think Race mode , rtw or on any spot, conduct to push harder on the boat and on the skipper than on a "Record" mode and for me it's too dangerous.

by nature multihull capsize, since 40 years in the north atlantic, but it's manageable by team and rescue team.

mixing solo rtw race + multihull and south ocean, it's not.

If an imoca capsized, a solo sailor can solve the situation and save his ass alone, on a multihull he can't, he's fucked.

Groupama 3 crew when they capsized in 2009 were very very very lucky, they were less than 200 miles from australia.

Everybody is free to register in or like any race, but this ultim race project could turn too much as a " Gladiator game" to my taste.

But I know some couch beer sailor will love it, are u one of them Clean ?

Fair enough explanation, but I disagree that 'some couch beer sailor' is the only person who will love it. I do not consider myself a 'couch beer sailor' and I race on the old Sopra ORMA 60 and I will love it, as will every one of my mates who sails on high performance multihulls. Every time a new sport is created with some danger, someone pipes in to compare it to the gladiators. it's not a good analogue.

I think the definition of 'acceptable' risk for this race is a level of risk that the sailors, sponsors, and organizers will accept.

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Happy holidays to you and your family too, Vandal. It's pretty and snowy here in the mountains of Vermont, and I hope everyone's got some beauty in their lives as the new year comes in.

I am an ass, you know that. Regardless, I see red a little bit every time someone argues a point 'for their own good.' Risk is something we should be able to accept as sentient, self-directed creatures, provided we are not hurting anyone else. And no, I don't buy the 'but the rescuers are risking their lives' argument, because every rescuer I have asked about it doesn't buy it either.

Alan, stop being an ass. The SA Forums are littered with statements/opinions, etc. that are ill conceived, uninformed and made by people who have no skin in the game.

If it wasn’t for all those comments which translate into clicks for you and The Ed, you would be sitting in some document review using Relativity and Scott would not own a Melges 32.

Who do you want to ban from commenting? All non-sailors? Sailors who have not sailed in the last 5 years? People who crew and don’t own a boat?

You act like you are a straight shooter. If you are, you’d probably like to hear when you are outrageously over the line … well, this is one of the dumbest things you have ever posted and is right up there with your “I’m not a journalist” riff of a few years ago.

On a lighter note, Happy New Year to you and your family.