Those pesky Orca's are back, and they seem to be learning...

robtoujours

Communist
Undercover
That's a Hallberg Rassy 50er ?

Is that a Frers design? I would have expected more from the build quality .. Wonder what exactly happened (don't speak Portuges)

Virgulino Ferreira

Super Anarchist
Brazil
That's a Hallberg Rassy 50er ?

Is that a Frers design? I would have expected more from the build quality .. Wonder what exactly happened (don't speak Portuges)

The video says a sailboat sank at night near the town of Sines and 5 people were rescued by a nearby fishing boat. The rescue was organised by the Portuguese navy after the sailboat "alerted" the MRCC that they were taking on water after an "encounter" with orcas.

According to this, the MRCC was alerted at 00:03, the 5 sailors were found in the liferaft, about 6 miles from Sines, and the fishing boat with the survivors arrived safely in port at 02:43.

Interesting advice from the navy: turn off the engine and lock the rudder, to " demotivate" the young orca from playing with the boat.

Last edited:
"GLADIS BLANCA-GB, is one of the most active GLADIS of all, and also of her group. She is an adult female and has offspring that also interact. Her daughters are GLADIS FILABRES, born around 2015, and GLADIS TARIK born in 2021. Her mother, GLADIS LAMARI-GL, the matriarch, acts as an observer, having been seen only a couple of times in the videos of the interactions, but always far away. Among her descendants we find GLADIS CLARA-GC born around 2011 and GLADIS DALILA-GDL born in 2017, all of them registered as observers. This group constitutes a complete matrilineal line related to interactions."

Canada
I don’t know. At the risk of being warned to “take it to PA”, I think I’m all for whales, and nature of any kind for that matter, fighting back and evening the score a little bit. Go team orca. Now if only they were big enough to take on whaling ships.

Voiled

Anarchist
For people using the word "attack", something I've been guilty of myself in this thread, if the orcas really meant to do serious harm to these boats they would be sunk in a couple of minutes.

Voiled

Anarchist
So I can smack you around and as long as I don’t kill you, it’s not an attack?
I think you missed the "really meant to do serious harm" part. They're 8000 pounds can do about 35mph and have Great White liver for lunch:

Last edited:

Lark

Supper Anarchist
Ohio
Can we teach them to foul props with nets and plug sea chests of carbon emitters with single use plastic, but leave sailboats not running a generator and pinging a depthfinder alone?

Kenny Dumas

Super Anarchist
PDX
I suppose you could pull up a transom hung rudder or cassette. Maybe even remove your regular rudder that can sink you when they rip it out and run your emergency rudder

longy

Overlord of Anarchy
San Diego
Out here on the west coast you can get "seal bombs" which have waterproof fuses & make quite a bang. They might work IF one could purchase them in Europe. You need a license out here

Voiled

Anarchist
Out here on the west coast you can get "seal bombs" which have waterproof fuses & make quite a bang. They might work IF one could purchase them in Europe. You need a license out here
An orcas hearing ability is vital to it's survival.